Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clear corners legal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear corners legal?

I was wondering if clear corners are legal and if the ones on ebay are any good?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2004, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Clear corners legal? (rdaggett)

which model do you have? Because on the 96-00 you can take the headlight apart and remove the orange insert. It looks good and costs you nothing. Just make sure you heat it up and slowly and carefully pry it apart.

oh and I don't think that they are exactly legal, but I have never gotten a ticket here in michigan. I have never had any experience with the corners or headlights on ebay, but it's hit or miss with the "ebay brand"
Old 07-12-2004, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clear corners legal? (dogfood)

yes they are legal. but you should stay with ambers they look better
Old 07-12-2004, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes they are, but be very careful about the coners that you might be able to purchase on EBAY. I've seen them fog up and fill with water.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would recommend siliconing any lighting stuff u buy off ebay, even if it looks fine just run some clear silicone around the edges and youll keep the lens's clear and dry for a long time.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Re: Clear corners legal? (jonathan288)

Who says they're legal? Last I checked, the reflex reflector has to be amber. And if it doesn't have reflectors then it's already illegal.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Clear corners legal? (Outrun)

as long as you have an amber bulb in, they are legal.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as long as you have a bulb in them that give off a amber/yellowish color you will be all good.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Electrician

Nothing is really legal unless it's DOT Approved and has whatever Certification sticker on it. Other than that, it's illegal. But you can make it seem legal by placing an amber/orange bulb in there and not some hyperwhite bulb. The ones on eBay are ok (where I got them for my Accord). Only bad thing is that they use a shitty adhesive and it starts to leak/moisture in a few months. What I did when I 1st got them was bake them in the oven for a few minutes until they came apart. Then, I used a clear silicon and sealed them up rather well. Haven't had a leak or any sign of moisture in about 3 years.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clear corners legal? (jdm98hb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm98hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes they are legal. but you should stay with ambers they look better</TD></TR></TABLE>
not in VA, it is in MD though

state/local laws = shitty in va, esp in fairfax county ( i see ur from c-ville)

just stick with amber, looks better imo anyway.

save ur self the $30 fine, $56 court fees, and $5 clear corners, you will be pulled over in fairfax country, it's a matter of time.

NOTE: i used to have clear corners on a '94 ex. It was the only 'mod' i did at the time, and i got pulled over. Let me go with a warning telling me the fine (didn't know it was illegal at the time). The aftermarket light was a p.o.s. It filled up with water and rusted

my friend mike has all amber corners (exterior of corner is all amber) on his eg, i think it looks much better than stock and it's legal.

Modified by Sijray21 at 4:18 PM 7/12/2004
Old 07-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clear corners legal? (pburke23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pburke23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as long as you have an amber bulb in, they are legal. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Civics dont' have separate reflectors because they are integrated into the corner lenses.

The amber bulb fulfills the turn signal requirement of a white or amber light.

It doesn't fulfill the amber reflex reflector.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nothing is really legal unless it's DOT Approved and has whatever Certification sticker on it. Other than that, it's illegal. But you can make it seem legal by placing an amber/orange bulb in there and not some hyperwhite bulb. The ones on eBay are ok (where I got them for my Accord). Only bad thing is that they use a shitty adhesive and it starts to leak/moisture in a few months. What I did when I 1st got them was bake them in the oven for a few minutes until they came apart. Then, I used a clear silicon and sealed them up rather well. Haven't had a leak or any sign of moisture in about 3 years.</TD></TR></TABLE>

DOT doesn't approve anything.

Amber bulb alone doesn't make it legal.

Old 07-12-2004, 04:15 PM

for my taillights i just picked up a set of 99-00 taillights and swapped them in my 98... for the headlights i just heated them up and removed the amber...

i was stopped once (but didnt get a ticket) because all four turn signals were white... the cop said to replace the white bulbs with amber bulbs and they'll be legal...

he said something about that turn signals just had to be amber... whether its an amber bulb or amber reflector...

so i just picked up a pair of amber bulbs and havent had any problems since
Old 07-12-2004, 04:18 PM

Keep ur stock ones
Old 07-12-2004, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Outrun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Outrun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

DOT doesn't approve anything.

Amber bulb alone doesn't make it legal.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm...yes they do. Check on your headlights. I betcha they have a DOT number.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Umm...yes they do. Check on your headlights. I betcha they have a DOT number. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The DOT stamp means that Honda, etc. are saying that they comply with standards set by the DOT. The DOT as an agency does not go testing headlights and saying afterward that they "approve" it as being street legal.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Outrun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Outrun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The DOT stamp means that Honda, etc. are saying that they comply with standards set by the DOT. The DOT as an agency does not go testing headlights and saying afterward that they "approve" it as being street legal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But companies do have to comply with thier testings and thus get to be DOT approved. Just like some of the "projector headlights" (See the TYC projectors) which are DOT approved.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:22 PM

Everything is dependent on your state and local regulations. Here in MO, corner lights must be amber, it doesn't specify how it is amber, just that it is amber. I would check with your local highway partol for regulations. That is what I did to find the legalities of modifications to my car. That saved me money from bad parts, tickets, and court costs. A simple email, or google search for their web site if they have one. It is always better to be one step ahead.
elevtro
Old 07-12-2004, 11:36 PM

i think they are illegal where i live.. like everyone else said, if they are all white (bright) and dont have a yellowish tent, then it might be illegal.. but here im pretty sure white clear corners are illegal... but then again, my friend just put white clear corners on his car cuz he didnt give a **** - illegal or not.. lol.. and he hasnt gotten a ticket or anything!!

PS - and my friends about to take the orange bulb outta his headlights n put whites in places of em.... thats illegal here to i think... but he doesnt give a ****...

... so take a risk man ... (if you want)
Old 07-13-2004, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clear corners legal? (Outrun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Outrun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who says they're legal? Last I checked, the reflex reflector has to be amber. And if it doesn't have reflectors then it's already illegal. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes, that's correct. Last time I checked the CA VCB, a vehicle must have some type of amber reflector up front. The turn signal bulb, however, can be either white or amber.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to sum it up: There are laws at both the state level and at the federal level. the USDOT does stamp things that meet FMVSS regulated criteria, however they are often forged (i had depo clears that had "DOT" stamped on them).
enforcement is at the local PD/state trooper/highway patrol level. they are not there to enforce federal law, but they will write you up for violating state laws. in cali, clear corners are illegal, but they will not bother you if you have amber lights in them