Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

clear coating carbon fiber hood ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clear coating carbon fiber hood ?

Well my question is is their anyone out their that could re clear coat my hood i live in so cal about an hour from santa barbara or if some one has already clearcoated their hood we could trade plus cash on my side and you can just re clearcoat my hood for urself theirs no chips in it only one small spidar surface crack and a lil sunburn not verry visible only at certain angles.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clear coating carbon fiber hood ?

can i get a BUMP for some help
Old 12-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You run into problems when trying to clearcoat a part without applying any color. Sand scratches are necessary for a coating to stick unless it is being applied over another coat that hasn't fully dried. Color fills and covers the scratches but when you spray a clear on top of the scratches, you can still see them through the clear. With a good paint job, you may have to look closely in the light to notice the scratches under the clear but they're still there. Just some info to think about. You also might want to check out the Paint & Body forum. GL
Old 12-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ not true. On a good paint job you will never see sand scratches under the clear. You're obviously not a body man lol, and the OP was wanting someone on here to do it for him. Body shops reclear CF hoods all the time, and I've done quite a few as well with better than new results... I would suggest if you've tried this, you probably have no clue what you're doing and should let a professional do it next time.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i dont know what im doing lol i asked a body shop in town and he basically said he couldnt do it but i know it can be done cuz i see ppl on the net do it all the time lol thats why on askin the ppl of HT
Old 12-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FearTheH
^^^ not true. On a good paint job you will never see sand scratches under the clear. You're obviously not a body man lol, and the OP was wanting someone on here to do it for him. Body shops reclear CF hoods all the time, and I've done quite a few as well with better than new results... I would suggest if you've tried this, you probably have no clue what you're doing and should let a professional do it next time.
Right, I'm not a body man. I just have a degree in Auto Paint. Please explain for us what covers up the sand scratches, since you can see through the clear and see the reflections caused by the grooves of scratches. Maybe you just need glasses.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would definitely never go to that body shop again if he doesn't even know how to reclear a CF hood... If I lived closer I would gladly do it for you and charge a lot less than a body shop, just to help a fellow HT member. Definitely check out the paint and body forum, I'm pretty sure there was a write up, but if not, I will do one when I get another CF hood that needs to be done. I want to pick up one for my 99 EM1 so maybe ill find an old faded one for cheap and use that for a write up and for my Si lol.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got 20/20 lol. I've got my papers as well, but that doesn't make you good. Where did you go to school? If you say wyotech I'm going to laugh. Anyways, I'm not saying the scratches aren't there, I'm saying a good automotive refinisher knows to get proper color coverage. If taken proper steps to automotive refinishing there will be no visible scratches. Go to a professional shop that does custom paint/show cars and so forth and tell them you can see sand scratches in their finish and see what happens.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FearTheH
I'm saying a good automotive refinisher knows to get proper color coverage.
You do know that we're not talking about spraying color right? To explain it for you, a "Clear Coat" is a transparent coating that has no color. A "Color Coat" is a coating that has a color hue to it. I know it's difficult for you but please try to think just a little.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i saw some DIY but looks hella hard and i dont want to **** up a perfectly good hood lol
Old 12-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay jackass, I understand that. And for the record I misread your first post. Chill the f*ck out. I've been doing this for 8 years and have done probably a total of 30 carbon fiber hoods and ended at 2000grit wet sand with 5-6 coats of "transparent coating" with no VISIBLE sand scratches. And then wet sanded with 1000,1500, and 2000 grit, buffed with 3M compound, finish with 3M perfect it machine glaze and again no VISIBLE scratches. Where did you go to school?
Old 12-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Blkcivic, sorry to argue in your thread. I'm putting a stop to it now. When you find a shop, you'll also want to keep in mind that the spider crack should be completely sanded off before applying clear. A crappy shop might just scuff it and clear it but then you'd still have the crack under the clear and it would likely spread.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its all good u even tho u guys was arguein u was given good insite lol and ill make sure to check that for sure thanx
Old 12-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by delsolproblems
Blkcivic, sorry to argue in your thread. I'm putting a stop to it now. When you find a shop, you'll also want to keep in mind that the spider crack should be completely sanded off before applying clear. A crappy shop might just scuff it and clear it but then you'd still have the crack under the clear and it would likely spread.
X2! And I'm sorry as well, to both of you guys. It can be done, with excellent results though. Your best bet if finding a good, reputable shop who is confident in doing this, and like delsolproblems said if that crack isn't tackled properly it will just return and be an eye sore yet again. The bad reality, however, is that the cost of this from a good shop may total that of the cost of a new hood, if not more. I wouldn't be concerned with the minor fading of the clear as much a that crack, that's what will raise the cost of your repair especially if its all the way down to the fiber/resin. I do wish you much luck and hopefully you'll find a place that can take care of it and not charge you an arm and a leg!