Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cleaning my Block....

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning my Block....

Ok I am about to start ripping my car apart and rebuilding it from the ground up. I am goin to build the motor, suspension, new paint, everything. But my question is what is the best way to clean my block? cause its pretty dirty and i wanna make sure its really clean before i start to reassembly the motor and dirt fills into my motor from the outside. This may be the wrong place to post this, so if it is let me know and i will redo it. Thanks
Old 12-04-2005, 09:44 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cleaning my Block.... (B18Sleeper)

I'd recommend having it hot-tanked.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cleaning my Block.... (Padawan)

yea def hot tanked and I would consider honing it some, best bet is to take it to a cnc machine shop, they will take care of it for a resonable price! Best of luck
Old 12-04-2005, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Cleaning my Block.... (JayDiemB16aCivic)

Ok thanks alot should i disassemble it and take it to them? or let them do it?
Old 12-04-2005, 10:11 AM
R.I.P.

they would probably make you take it apart
Old 12-04-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Cleaning my Block.... (honda 3300)

ok thanks alot everyone for your help
Old 12-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, they normally won't disassemble a block, they will make you do it. Its pretty easy, just when you do it, have a lot of plastic baggies so you can label all your bolts and **** so you know where EVERYTHING goes. you dont wanna put **** in the wrong place, also have a torque wrench handy.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Cleaning my Block.... (JayDiemB16aCivic)

yea i know i have worked on a few motors before and u learn to label **** or u will expletive it up big time. and yes not onyl have a torque wrench but a service manual LOL. but thanks alot for the info
Old 12-05-2005, 09:06 PM

if thats not possible you might try a pressure washer, one with a kerosene heater...i detail cars and we have one that gets about 300 deg. and will take off paint...just a alternative

later
Old 12-06-2005, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cleaning my Block.... (d16y8bmx)

good idea too.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:34 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: Cleaning my Block.... (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd recommend having it hot-tanked. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What exactly is this? Can someone please explain it to me?
Old 12-06-2005, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cleaning my Block.... (JDM-EJ1)

its essentially have hte block put in a high power dishwashers for metal parts. It uses a detergent and will clean the block really well.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Cleaning my Block.... (Soccerking3000)

yea my uncle a few years back thought about buying one for his shop but he didnt. never thought he would have much use for one.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cheap way is pressure wash. then use a blow gun to blow dry. prevents rusting. you also def need to hone cylinders. new rings will never seat right
Old 12-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cleaning my Block.... (postman)

hot tanking is the best, pay the $ and do it...hey as in honing the block..what exactly is it, and why will it never sit right?
Old 12-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cleaning my Block.... (PnkRokCountryboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PnkRokCountryboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hot tanking is the best, pay the $ and do it...hey as in honing the block..what exactly is it, and why will it never sit right?</TD></TR></TABLE> the walls will be too smooth for the rings to seal. that's where honing comes in, they do a X pattern down the walls so it can sand down the rings to seat and have a complete seal. i forgot what the patterns are called, crosshitch or some ****. but yea. since you're going to take the motor apart you might as well do some upgrades to it.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cleaning my Block.... (JDM-EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What exactly is this? Can someone please explain it to me?</TD></TR></TABLE> they dip it in a tank filled with hot water and let it sit, it gets all the dirt and whatnot off.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cleaning my Block.... (UNKNOWN_MEMBER)

its called crossthatch
Old 12-06-2005, 01:24 PM

I usually cover mine in simple green and scrub it in real good, then let it sit for a couple of hours. Repeat five or six times and then hit it with the pressure washer.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: (Kendall)

thanks alot for everyone's input, but it sounds like hot tanking it is the best option not cheapest but bestest. and i only wanna do the best for this motor.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18Sleeper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18Sleeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks alot for everyone's input, but it sounds like hot tanking it is the best option not cheapest but bestest. and i only wanna do the best for this motor.</TD></TR></TABLE> if that's the case, you'll resleeve it and run 2liter.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: (UNKNOWN_MEMBER)

dude i am talkin about cleaning my block not my build. altho yes i am goin to resleeve it cause i am boring it to a 84mm bore.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Cleaning my Block.... (PnkRokCountryboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PnkRokCountryboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...hey as in honing the block..what exactly is it, and why will it never sit right?</TD></TR></TABLE> if your seriously into engines then there is no way you dont know wut honing is i'm 17 years old and know exactly wut honing is its like boring the cylinder walls but i only resurfaces them and puts a cross scratch on it it helps the rings seal with the cylinder walls honing can help with efficiency, power and dependability last year i took a small gas engine class and we bore and honed a lawnmower engine, converted it to alchohol and got a 5 hp engine to put out 26 crank power put that on a shifter cart frame and had some fun funny thing is is that we put everything back together after boring it and it didnt' run the compression was like 5 psi nothing! so we ripped it about and honed it she ran like a charm! did i mention 26 crank hp?!?!?!?!
Old 12-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cleaning my Block.... (97exd16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97exd16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> if your seriously into engines then there is no way you dont know wut honing is i'm 17 years old and know exactly wut honing is its like boring the cylinder walls but i only resurfaces them and puts a cross scratch on it it helps the rings seal with the cylinder walls honing can help with efficiency, power and dependability last year i took a small gas engine class and we bore and honed a lawnmower engine, converted it to alchohol and got a 5 hp engine to put out 26 crank power put that on a shifter cart frame and had some fun funny thing is is that we put everything back together after boring it and it didnt' run the compression was like 5 psi nothing! so we ripped it about and honed it she ran like a charm! did i mention 26 crank hp?!?!?!?!</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's called Cross Hatch and the lines are at 60 degrees to make the piston rings seat. 26 hp lawnmower sounds pretty fun. Almost like a redneck family re-union. Hoppin on the old john deer go kart! YEE HAAA.

Anyways this guy that is hot tanking his block knows what hes doin. So anyways, that was what this thread was all about in the first place. So yea Hot taking sounds good. I'm actually looking for places to hot tank and hone around my area. I'm buying a b16a swap for a grand and strippin her down and giving it a nice fresh rebuild so I can boost it to run well lets say 2 bar and smoke a lot of ****! But yea before you hone it hot tank it! you need to have it honed after so the rings seat! make sure that the cylinder sleeves are coated to prevent rust.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to Hot Tank and Hone it while they are at it? Need to get some prices going here, I'm already at $3,500 for this rebuild with a turbo and internals minus valvetrain Everything is so ****** expensive!

My estimate is 300whp or better!
Old 12-08-2005, 07:27 PM
my house has wheels on it

on mine, i used Castrol Super Clean (this **** is wayyyyy better than simple green) and a wire cup brush with an air powered die grinder to get into the really dirty places.

after scrubbing and washing, use your air gun to make sure everything is dry and spray paint the block with VHT high temp paint. i used the "flat aluminum" and everybody that seen it thought i bought a brand new block.

VHT Flame Proof Coating

Part Number SP-117 Flat Aluminum

Quick Reply: Cleaning my Block....