Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Cleaning and keeping clean windows (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/cleaning-keeping-clean-windows-479401/)

gribbs 04-18-2003 07:41 AM

Cleaning and keeping clean windows

Whats the trick? I have used rain-away and didnt see much differences. I have heard of people using products that whisk water away so well they barely need wipers. Thanx for any comments!!

hatchboy93 04-18-2003 07:42 AM

Re: Cleaning and keeping clean windows (gribbsEG8)

RAIN-X my friend!!!!!

AzntaggeR 04-18-2003 07:44 AM

Re: Cleaning and keeping clean windows (hatchboy93)

i've heard rain-x eats up your windshield wipers

MetalKill 04-18-2003 07:54 AM

Re: Cleaning and keeping clean windows (AzntaggeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzntaggeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've heard rain-x eats up your windshield wipers</TD></TR></TABLE>
Used rain-x for 6yrs now no problems with wipers.

976 04-18-2003 08:03 AM

Re: Cleaning and keeping clean windows (MetalKill)

When you wash your car dry your windows first, then rest of the car. Make sure they are really dry, then use a cleaner with vingar, or ammioia and clean them agian. Then apply rain-x, keep your wipers clean, if dirty they can only scratch and scuff your glass...

BeerMan 04-18-2003 08:04 AM

If you are asking about clean windows or are cleaning your windows, use straight rubbing alcohol and paper towels, no streaks, gets the dirt off nicely.

As for rain x, screw it, I like to use wipers, I just get new ones frequently. I don't like rain x because I don't think it lasts very long.

Drews Bitch 04-18-2003 08:11 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MetalKill &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Used rain-x for 6yrs now no problems with wipers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

rain-x sucks. if your driving down the road with street lights rain-x makes it harder to see. after a few rain storms the rain-x wears out and then the rain actually starts to stick to your windshied. untill you apply more that is. next thing you know you've been using the product for 6 yrs and you need to keep applying it so it works good. and all you needed to begin with was a good set of wipers https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emwink.gif
my 2 cents

monicle 04-18-2003 08:16 AM

If you want to know a good trick for making your windows really sparkle use newspaper with black print and water. I know it sounds wierd but it really works. doesnt do a whole lot for keeping rain off of em but its a cleaning trick not alot of people know about.

gogeeta13 04-18-2003 08:22 AM

Re: Cleaning and keeping clean windows (monicle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monicle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want to know a good trick for making your windows really sparkle use newspaper with black print and water. I know it sounds wierd but it really works. doesnt do a whole lot for keeping rain off of em but its a cleaning trick not alot of people know about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

somebody expand on this...

doesnt the ink from the newspaper get all over the window? the ink rubs right off on your fingers when you hold the paper....

[/thread hijack]

NonovUrbizniz 04-18-2003 08:25 AM

A. the newspaper thing ONLY worked well before it was made of recycled paper... now it leaves lint just like anything else... It will clean the windows but the reason it became a "trick" is because newspaper used to be made out of HIGH quality first run paper so it left no lint... now it's made of recycled paper (or at least partially).

B. Rain-X does suck... it works ok in TERRENTIAL down poors but like said when you go under a street light or a car passes you head on... YOU CAN'T SEE SHIT... also in light rain it just covers the windshield with TINY water beads... and your forced to use your wipers anyway. Also you have to be going pretty fast before it actually beads off fast enough to see clearly... and even then you go under a light etc... you can't see.

If you want the benifits of rain-x w/o the negative you CAN wax your windows... it works just like on the paint... and water comes off like rain-x but doesn't bead up as much as rain-x. Plus it gets rid of SOME of the pits and sandblast damage from driving.

Also what was said about rubbing alcohol is true... it cleans glass better than anything.. no streaks and it evaporates MUCH cleaner than products with ammonia or vinegar... However I don't know that it's ok for use on auto glass. but it cleans Glass better than anything else.

boostn5Ghaba 04-18-2003 08:32 AM

I agreed with using good wipers.. I like my bosch wipers alot even during the winter.

BeerMan 04-18-2003 08:36 AM

Re: Cleaning and keeping clean windows (NonovUrbizniz)

Is rubbing alcohol bad for auto glass? I've used it for a couple years now and I don't think I've had a problem. Anyone know the answer?

rodrez. 04-18-2003 08:40 AM

Re: Cleaning and keeping clean windows (BeerMan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BeerMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is rubbing alcohol bad for auto glass? I've used it for a couple years now and I don't think I've had a problem. Anyone know the answer?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't understand what would be bad about it? I like this idea, I think I'm going to try that.

NonovUrbizniz 04-18-2003 08:55 AM

Re: Cleaning and keeping clean windows (rodrez)

I just put I don't know cuz I don't... I'd imagine it's fine...

I was just thinking that some saftey glass in cars has a film on either side of the glass.. I'm sure that stuff pretty resistant but I though it might break that down...

but like I said I don't KNOW.

If you've been doing it for 10 years I'd imagine it's fine.

Usually it only take a couple of years of regular use of a product to find out it messes something up... like armorall and your driv./pass. window sash... (goddam armorall)

93EH6 04-18-2003 08:59 AM

Here's what i do in the summer i get the window perfectly clean with 20/20 glass cleaner then i put on a couple coats of wax then when your windshield gets dirty again just hose it off and it comes clean. In the winter don't do this because if you use you wipers with it on there it will just start to smear so in the winter strip all the wax off the windshield and use your wipers don't even try rain-x it suck hairy monkey balls.

BeerMan 04-18-2003 09:02 AM

Re: Cleaning and keeping clean windows (NonovUrbizniz)

Yeah, I don't think there is anything wrong with using rubbing alcohol. Also, get the highest percentage alcohol mix you can. I think it ranges from 75% to something like 90 or 95%. It should say somewhere on the bottle. It doesn't really matter too much, but the higher the concentration the easier it is to clean.

Plus, its fun when you light a little puddle of it on your driveway. But, I don't take any responsibility for any injury or damage to personal property as a result of this comment. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emwink.gif

samdawgsol 04-18-2003 01:50 PM

Re: Cleaning and keeping clean windows (BeerMan)

never thought of waxing my windshield. I have a ton of sand chips from highway driving, maybe it'll help some. thanks.

cash459 04-18-2003 02:02 PM

Re: Cleaning and keeping clean windows (samdawgsol)

rain-x works great for me, I have never had to keep re-applying it, I dont know if i just got lucky, or if it is a combination of that and that spray on car wash "wax" at those little do it yourself car wash places....it didnt mess up any of my wipers either.....you may just haev to experiment.....as for the alcohol or ammonia, i know that if you use ammonia on the inside of your windows and they are tinted, the ammonia will cause it to fade over time...so be careful....

BikeSpike 04-18-2003 05:12 PM

Windex and Newspaper is all anyone needs. Its the most common way among show-going vehicles!

Spike

Ricey McRicerton 04-18-2003 05:47 PM

Re: Cleaning and keeping clean windows (gogeeta13)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gogeeta13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

somebody expand on this...

doesnt the ink from the newspaper get all over the window? the ink rubs right off on your fingers when you hold the paper....

[/thread hijack]</TD></TR></TABLE>
Exactly what i was thinking...

monicle 04-18-2003 06:15 PM

Re: Cleaning and keeping clean windows (Ricey McRicerton)

no it doesnt. infact it works much like a polish. just one trick my grandpa passed down before time took its course.

HuskerHybrid 04-18-2003 06:47 PM

just use newspaper and water/windex... from my experience there has never been any residue or "lint" left on the window... i believe the ink acts as some kind of polish and will leave your windows shinier and clearer than it has ever been before... it's cheap and effective, try it https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

Jawad. 04-18-2003 07:21 PM

Re: Cleaning and keeping clean windows (HuskerHybrid)

speaking of wipers, how are the PIAA wipers?

civicmon 04-19-2003 06:36 PM

I put rain-x on my windows maybe 6 years ago and there's still some left believe it or not. I use my wipers as well though. Clean the wipers, that helps a lot, use brillo and just run it up and down the blades, the brillo will probably be black.

I clean my exterior windows with brillo and lots of water, if thats a bad thing, I don't know, but there's no lasting scratches. The Newspaper trick works well. The ink won't run because there's something in it that just causes it to smear and not run. Look at a newspaper thats been in the rain for a day or two, its just a mucky mess, not a runny, mucky mess.

NonovUrbizniz 04-19-2003 06:47 PM

Re: Cleaning and keeping clean windows (HuskerHybrid)

I've used newspaper too on the same tip... when I did it there was definetly lint... not as much as with paper towels or old terrycloth but.... still some lint... and it broke up and tore.. some parts where dry and others saturated making it hard to get the job done evenly and not leave streaking from wet spots being wiped across the window.

If you want lint FREE... go with those blue shop towels on a roll they sell at auto parts stores. those things are GREAT.

Another good tip is to use 2 rags/towel at the same time... Use one over and over and for every window/window section have a fresh dry one in the other hand to quickly wipe down any wet spots without re-wetting it with the wet rag/towel.

THE BEST TIP TO CLEANING WINDOWS EVER.... which was given to me by my grandmother when she maid me wash her car instead of babysitting me when I was 6... was..

PRESSURE.. use TONS AND TONS of elbow grease... it gets it cleaner and shinier than just wiping moderately hard.