Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

cleaning headliner....searched

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning headliner....searched

i got an 00 si with a previous smoker who stained my headliner. and i am about to put the rollcage in and i need to clean up my headliner before i weld in this cage and if its beyond cleaning i need to replace it. guys i have searched and all i have found is 3 threads none of which have any info to help clean the headliners in a 00 si. can someone help me ? thanks
Old 02-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im gonna redo my headliner in black. I suggest you do the same. If you don't know how, do some research on redoing headliners. Or pay someone for your lack of knowledge. Either way i hope you get the results your looking for.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cleaning headliner....searched (B18Sleeper)

well idk if this is going to help you but i had some makes on my headliner and jus took a damp almost dry rag and scrubbed them lightly till they come out...but what ever you do do not get is steam cleaned or shampooed it will destroy the adhesive and it will start to sag. if it is reasonably priced i would jus have a new on put in or do it yourself
Old 02-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cleaning headliner....searched (SpeedoKing)

Go get a can of spray carpet cleaner, spray it on and pat dry it off your headliner, don't rub it will tear it up, pat it with a dry cloth.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:01 PM

Default Re: cleaning headliner....searched (saywhat)

well i got a group of guys who know how to do the **** i dont lol. but as far as redoing the headliner i wanted to but i redone a headliner in an eclipse with the sunroof and the sunroof would get stuck cause the material i used was thicker than the stock material. and as far as buying it new its about 200 or so to get a new one. and if i order it tomorrow it will delay my rollcage which honestly cant be done cause i have to get my car out of the shop next sunday. and take it home and i dont have the means of bending my tubes for the cage. but i appreciate all the info i will look up redoing a headliner on here cause i never thought about it on my car since the eclipse.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:02 PM

Default Re: cleaning headliner....searched (B18Sleeper)

guys i searched for redoing headliner and i cant find anything that is helpful. if someone can find something better let me know. thanks
Old 02-03-2008, 09:49 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You're going to have a hard time cleaning it if the whole thing is filthy. Most headliners have a water soluble glue that bonds the liner to the cardboard backing.

That's why you see sagging headliners so often. A sagging headliner is often a sign that water got into the car and condensed on the headliner.

Scrubbing or vacuuming a headliner can also cause the glue to fail. So you want to be reasonably gentle with cleaning it if you ever have to.

This obviously does not count towards the vinyl 5th gen headliners.

If it's really that bad, I would suggest replacing it with a used one. Any '96-'00 EX coupe or '99-'00 Si coupe headliner would work perfectly. I list those two trims and bodies because you need a coupe headliner (others are different lengths) and you need a trim that comes with a stock moonroof.

You'll need to remove all the trim that surrounds the roof and the mirror and grab rail too.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:13 AM

Default Re: (NOFX)

well as for the grab bar i wont be able to have it anyways for the rollcage being there. but i thought about tryin to fiberglass the headliner to eliminate the visors and grab bar and just wrap the headliner in black vinyl. do u think that would to hard to do?