Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic vx o2 sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Civic vx o2 sensor question

Any of the civic vx owners out there know of a cheaper alternative to replacing the 5 wire o2 sensor,i bought a d15z1 swapped eh dx hatch and it doesnt have the o2 sensor at all,previous owner must have kept it. but is there like a genric one available im getting bad mpg and dont want to spend a lot on a o2 sensor
Any help would be great

Old 02-03-2011, 07:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Civic vx o2 sensor question

http://www.google.com/search?q=NTK16...cf57885990a757
Old 02-03-2011, 07:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

boschsshchshshhh and some other aftermarket sensors are bit cheaper and work fine as well. i ve used boschshchshchshhsh sensors in 3 of my cars and they all work fine and pass emissions and all.
check around online theres many stores sell them.

just make sure its a 5 wire, sometimes they might list the wrong item as compatible.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im assuming you have the full vx harness but it can be converted to support a four wire o2 sensor by swapping a couple wires at the o2 disconnect and a couple at the ecu disconnect fairly simple just google 5 wire 4 wire o2 conversion. i wouldnt recomend getting any cheap wide band o2s from my experience theyll always throw a light and run like crap. if you understand the diagrams let me know i have my own 1 i used for my conversion.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

as far as I know.....all o2 sensors are the same....as long as you get the same number of wires....4 is standard...5 is heated I believe.

I have a 4 wire ford 02 sensor after cat in my car....because it was free....and it works fine....great gas mileage, no CEL.

Ive heard....the ford mustang 4 wire is the cheapest 02 sensor to buy......
Old 02-03-2011, 09:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

bosch is not bad, but its cheaper than stock sensor. like i said before i ve used bosch in 3 different cars with no issues.

from wikipedia:
It was developed by the Robert Bosch GmbH company

just because its not made by one of the HONDA brands doesnt mean its bad.

most of the honda parts are not even made by same company.

just like alot of car speakers are not made by the well known car speaker manufacturers.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by virgineg6
im assuming you have the full vx harness but it can be converted to support a four wire o2 sensor by swapping a couple wires at the o2 disconnect and a couple at the ecu disconnect fairly simple just google 5 wire 4 wire o2 conversion. i wouldnt recomend getting any cheap wide band o2s from my experience theyll always throw a light and run like crap. if you understand the diagrams let me know i have my own 1 i used for my conversion.
Actually im pretty sure the ecu to shock tower harness is a dx and the engine to shock tower is a vx,I figured once i get the 5 wire o2 id have to do a little wire in to the ecu,which i dont mind to get the awsome mpg from the vx, lol......ive done a gsr swap in a ls integra and wired up the knock,iab,and vtec stuff it was fairy easy,im not to sure if the 5 wire o2 is easy to wire up.

But would i be able to use my vx non cali ecu with a four wire,i dont mind loosing a few mpgs as long as i still get around 45mpg
Thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raverx3m
boschsshchshshhh and some other aftermarket sensors are bit cheaper and work fine as well. i ve used boschshchshchshhsh sensors in 3 of my cars and they all work fine and pass emissions and all.
check around online theres many stores sell them.

just make sure its a 5 wire, sometimes they might list the wrong item as compatible.
So i can get a bosch 5 wire o2 and it shoud work fine because i know the o2 i need has to be L1H1 or L2H2 everyone is claiming i even heard i could use a uego o2 or something but cant find anything solid.
Im willing to try a bosch if itll work, thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My other option is to get my ecu tuned and delete the oxygen sensor completely or something, I was told by a guy. He said he could tune my ecu and he will delete my o2 sensor and my ecu will run what he tunes it to and never change,this is the option im leaning towards and no check engine for o2 or anything and never have to worry about a o2 sensor.Because i cant find a decent priced L1H1 5 wire o2 my tune would be cheaper and never have to worry about the o2 again.....Any pros and cons to this?
Thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 06:19 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by halfkoreanboy
My other option is to get my ecu tuned and delete the oxygen sensor completely or something, I was told by a guy. He said he could tune my ecu and he will delete my o2 sensor and my ecu will run what he tunes it to and never change,this is the option im leaning towards and no check engine for o2 or anything and never have to worry about a o2 sensor.Because i cant find a decent priced L1H1 5 wire o2 my tune would be cheaper and never have to worry about the o2 again.....Any pros and cons to this?
Thanks
You can normally chip an ECU and disable the O2 sensor, P07s however can't be chipped (except for '93 - '95 CA versions, which use a 4 wire O2 sensor) VXs are very picky about 02 sensors, i'd only buy an Denso or NTK replacement. I would stay far away from Bosch.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll see O2 sensors for the VX in the $300-400 range. The NTK 24300 should be a direct replacement, and is considerably cheaper (though as it's wideband, it's more than your "average" sensor.)

$189 - http://www.oxygensensor.net/ntk_o2/24300.php

The O2 sensor is really at the heart of the VX in terms of fuel economy... without the correct part, you're left with a Honda that gets above average mpg (instead of amazing mpg) and only 92hp. The upside is that it should actually pay for itself.

Last edited by slogfilet; 02-04-2011 at 07:09 AM. Reason: thoughts
Old 02-04-2011, 08:37 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

o2 sensor is platinum coated plates very close to eachother that react to oxygen.

all it needs to do is give out correct reading to the ECU.

bosch invented the damn things, do you think they are incapable of making them to honda standard?

people are brainwashed by this OEM bullsht with no real evidence to back it up.

you dont buy the cheapest available part because it will break, but you dont have to buy the most expensive either. theres always "reasonably priced" part you can get and be fine with it.

ntk is one of those brands as well.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Seagull Management

bosch invented the damn things, do you think they are incapable of making them to honda standard?
They seriously don't last, believe me if I could buy something cheaper than Denso or NTK and have it work properly long term i'd be all over it. I've seen way too may threads where guys bought brand new Bosch O2 sensors for VX and HXs and still had a CEL or poor mileage until they bought a new OEM unit. Honestly I haven't seen Bosch anything work well on a Honda. VXs are especially sensitive too, they use a wideband as opposed to the more typical narrow band found on most vehicles.

people are brainwashed by this OEM bullsht with no real evidence to back it up.
I used to work as a mechanic for Honda, as well as working on the side on numerous hondas. I've seen lots of evidence to back up OEM being better 99% of the time.

you dont buy the cheapest available part because it will break, but you dont have to buy the most expensive either. theres always "reasonably priced" part you can get and be fine with it.
I've found the best thing to do is try to find out who made the OEM part for Honda in the first place and then buy from them.

ntk is one of those brands as well.
I will agree with you on that, and they are much cheaper than OEM.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:04 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i never said bosch is the only way to go. i can say same thing about car audio, i work in the field and i know a bit more about quality of different brands. but it doesnt mean that you cant do more with less. your knowledge sometimes makes up for the price difference.
im sure its better, but is it worth paying tripple the amount? sometimes it doesnt.

especially with hondas and when you are not planning to keep the car for more than few years.

people dont care if you put all OEM super expensive parts, they just want to buy your car as cheap as they can,

btw i had the bosch on my car for last 4 years, and so did my friend with no problems.

would i spend over 200 dollars on the OEM o2 sensor hell no!!!! unless i know for sure that i want to keep that car for the rest of my life.

btw EG8: not to start an argument but im sure bosch has pretty good QA. and chances are alot of honda motors are not really operating at their best. with all the half assed builds and lack of maintenance, honda O2 sensors are probably designed to take much more abuse than regular O2, but if your engine is in good condition then it should work fine.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
You can normally chip an ECU and disable the O2 sensor, P07s however can't be chipped (except for '93 - '95 CA versions, which use a 4 wire O2 sensor) VXs are very picky about 02 sensors, i'd only buy an Denso or NTK replacement. I would stay far away from Bosch.
Im actually running it on a p28 right now with no o2 at all,my mpg is 200ish to a full tank,but it actually takes off fast with the stock p28 and i was going to trade a guy my p28 for a p07 non cali version,but since i cant tune it,i guess im just going to keep the p28 and just delete o2 sensor and tune it and lower the vtec to 2500,if i get 38 to 45 mpg ill be happy lol....Thanks for all the info and letting me know about the p07....I think tuning the p28 would be more worth it with o2 delete than spending 200 to 300 on a o2 sensor
Old 02-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i never said bosch is the only way to go. i can say same thing about car audio, i work in the field and i know a bit more about quality of different brands. but it doesnt mean that you cant do more with less. your knowledge sometimes makes up for the price difference.
im sure its better, but is it worth paying tripple the amount? sometimes it doesnt.

especially with hondas and when you are not planning to keep the car for more than few years.

people dont care if you put all OEM super expensive parts, they just want to buy your car as cheap as they can,

btw i had the bosch on my car for last 4 years, and so did my friend with no problems.

would i spend over 200 dollars on the OEM o2 sensor hell no!!!! unless i know for sure that i want to keep that car for the rest of my life.

btw EG8: not to start an argument but im sure bosch has pretty good QA. and chances are alot of honda motors are not really operating at their best. with all the half assed builds and lack of maintenance, honda O2 sensors are probably designed to take much more abuse than regular O2, but if your engine is in good condition then it should work fine.
Thanks for the info,i dont know much about bosch,the d15z1 mine came with has bosch spark plugs in it right now,it doesnt seem to like bosch spark plugs,it sputters at idle and shakes hard when im cruising in second gear,but im not putting bosch down at all i just heard vx motors are very picky about plugs too. But the bosch o2 sensors ive never used
Old 02-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Seagull Management

Thanks for the info,i dont know much about bosch,the d15z1 mine came with has bosch spark plugs in it right now,it doesnt seem to like bosch spark plugs,it sputters at idle and shakes hard when im cruising in second gear,but im not putting bosch down at all i just heard vx motors are very picky about plugs too. But the bosch o2 sensors ive never used
Bosch plugs suck in a Honda, i'm sure they're ok in a VW or something, but everytime i've seen someone put them in a Honda they foul.

Personally, if you want the VXs absolutely phenomenal mileage you'll need a P07 and a proper 5 wire wideband. I can almost guarantee you a Bosch just wont work for you here (yes the 4 wire unheated ones will usually work if that's what the car calls for, but I haven't seen anyone yet run a Bosch O2 sensor in a VX and have it work properly (either keeps throwing a code or the light wont go out) If you're going to chip and tune that P28 in a dyno it's probably going to cost you at least $200 - $300.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i agree on the spark plugs tho. i had them in and heard alot of complains about the plugs as well
Old 02-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bosch plugs suck in a Honda, i'm sure they're ok in a VW or something, but everytime i've seen someone put them in a Honda they foul.

Personally, if you want the VXs absolutely phenomenal mileage you'll need a P07 and a proper 5 wire wideband. I can almost guarantee you a Bosch just wont work for you here (yes the 4 wire unheated ones will usually work if that's what the car calls for, but I haven't seen anyone yet run a Bosch O2 sensor in a VX and have it work properly (either keeps throwing a code or the light wont go out) If you're going to chip and tune that P28 in a dyno it's probably going to cost you at least $200 - $300.
The guy quoted me 125 he will remap or something and burn then delete my o2 and lower the vtec i dont know much about dyno tune. I think ill be driving while he sets it and burns it with sst256 chip and install it in the p28,i know i probably wont get the 56 mpg they are known for but ill be happy with 40+
Old 02-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The D15Z1 doesn't really have VTEC in the normal sense... "VTEC" on a VX is more like "normal" on a regular VTEC engine.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slogfilet
The D15Z1 doesn't really have VTEC in the normal sense... "VTEC" on a VX is more like "normal" on a regular VTEC engine.
Still needs to be set lower on a p28 to run the d15z1 properly,with fuel and what not plus i dont see my d15z1 hitting 4500 rpms daily lol i barely push it to 3000,it is vtec though 100 percent ,and to let you know my vtec isnt hooked up at all and it still pulls on low rpms just looses power after 2nd gear because of the transmission,but its not a race car at all,just a fun daily driver and to save a little on gas,maybe in the future ill put a jdm d15b vtec when this z1 goes
Old 02-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree on the spark plugs tho. i had them in and heard alot of complains about the plugs as well
Yea my z1 seems to sputter at idle i hate it lol,im swapping the plugs out for the recomended ngk,im guessing thats what the jerking is when i cruise in second at low speeds when there is traffic
Old 02-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Seagull Management

Still needs to be set lower on a p28 to run the d15z1 properly,with fuel and what not plus i dont see my d15z1 hitting 4500 rpms daily lol i barely push it to 3000,it is vtec though 100 percent ,and to let you know my vtec isnt hooked up at all and it still pulls on low rpms just looses power after 2nd gear because of the transmission,but its not a race car at all,just a fun daily driver and to save a little on gas,maybe in the future ill put a jdm d15b vtec when this z1 goes
It's loosing power because it's running in 12 valve mode. Z1s run in 12v mode until about 2500 rpm or so then switch over to normal 16 valve mode. If vtec isn't hooked up it stays in 12 valve mode.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's loosing power because it's running in 12 valve mode. Z1s run in 12v mode until about 2500 rpm or so then switch over to normal 16 valve mode. If vtec isn't hooked up it stays in 12 valve mode.
Ah i see,yea its in a dx hatch i know the guy before me didnt wire it in, ill probably do that sometime this week before i get it tuned,thanks