Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic VX

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic VX

Hey everyone, I just joined here to see if anyone has any info on the Civic VX. I am looking to either purchase one or buy a hatch and swap the VX powerplant, trans, o2 sensor, ecu, ect..

Has any one here done the swap? if so, is there any snags that I will run into? Or better yet does anyone know where I can locate a VX, or the VX parts to do the swap?

Thanks in advance
Trevor
Old 01-31-2008, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Civic VX (fogged306)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fogged306 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey everyone, I just joined here to see if anyone has any info on the Civic VX. I am looking to either purchase one or buy a hatch and swap the VX powerplant, trans, o2 sensor, ecu, ect..

Has any one here done the swap? if so, is there any snags that I will run into? Or better yet does anyone know where I can locate a VX, or the VX parts to do the swap?

Thanks in advance
Trevor</TD></TR></TABLE>

The Civic VX is the high fuel economy version of the 1992-1995 Civic HB. It has an economy-oriented VTEC system called VTEC-E. But this system is not designed to produce any kind of power. And indeed, the D15Z1, with only 92HP, is not going to knock your socks off. Especially with the tall gearing of the VX transmission. If you want any kind of power, a swap is really the only way to go. On the other hand, the VX is desirable for swapping due to its light weight. Of course, maybe you WANT high fuel economy. And with gas at over $3 per gallon in MANY places, who could blame you? If this is the case, then the VX is THE car to get. Of course, you could also get some other Civic (like a CX or DX) and swap the VX drvetrain in for a high fuel economy car. This might be a good way to go, as these other cars are more common AND you can pick up a D15Z1 cheap. Perhaps even better would be to swap the D15Z1 into a 1988-1989 CRX HF. These cars are MUCH lighter than ANY 1992-1995 Civic AND have GREAT aerodynamics. A 1988-1989 HF with a D15Z1 is probably one of the most economical cars that money can buy, surpassing even hybrids like the Prius. And you can build one for a pittance compared to the price of ANYTHING new out there that does even close t as good on gas.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:26 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Civic VX (StorminMatt)

I can't reply to anything good this morning without Stormin Matt posting very much the same thing I'm thinking.

I was basically going to ask the OP why he ants a VX powertrain? If it is because of gas mileage then of course, and just take what Stormin said to heart. If for some reason the OP wants a VX engine because he/she heard it was a good platform to build upon, then find something else.

The single biggest pain in the *** I can think of when doing a VX swap into any non-VX car would be wiring up, and finding a 5 wire oxygen sensor. The 5 wire o2 sensor is wholesale priced at $327.00 from http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com and aftermarket version are either crappy, or nonexistant.

Also noteworty is that the VX engine uses an EGR system, which is not found on any other 92-95 Civic. It will add to the potential pain in the *** that is emissions if you live in an emissions state. Just make sure the EGR ports within the intake manifol are clean, make sure he EGR valve itself works, and make sure you grab the EGR control box from the firewall of the donor VX if you go the swap route.

Find a D15Z1 isn't really the hard part - people give them away. Getting the appropriate emissions gear that goes with them may prove more difficult.