Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic Upgrade Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic Upgrade Help

I unfortunately made the mistake of settling for a Civic LX (1998). It was okay for a while, but I've decided it's time to have a little fun with it. I want to look into an engine swap, and then putting a turbo on. Someone who knows a hell of a lot about Hondas recommended that I use an Integra LS motor with a turbo kit coming from SS Auto Pro (I believe was what it was called. Apparently they make their own stuff, but there's some problems with the manifolds.) The catch is money. I'm not looking to spend any more than three grand on it. The ultimate question would be which motor, how much would it be (with installation estimate), and which turbo? Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Upgrade Help (Toroke)

I suggest you start by reading this

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=878010

and this

http://www.beesandgoats.com/bo....html

It should answer some of your questions as well as give you a better view of whats out there.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:59 AM

Default Re: Civic Upgrade Help (Slow EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slow EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I suggest you start by reading this

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=878010

and this

http://www.beesandgoats.com/bo....html

It should answer some of your questions as well as give you a better view of whats out there. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Also, if you want to do an LS swap and homemade turbo yourself, then $3k is a pretty realistic goal. It just depends on how much you know, though.

-Shane
Old 09-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Upgrade Help (nighttrain33)

How much potential does the current motor have? I dunno why, I just have some strange attraction to the idea of keeping the stock motor. Oh, and the turbos I was talking about were SS Auto Chrome. I couldn't hear that well anyways. I was told about them at a backyard concert. My mistake. Regardless, for a few grand, is it possible to get a turbo (intercooler and blowoff valve) and exhaust parts (cat-back, headers)? I know little.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're not looking to spend too much money, an LS motor would better suit your budget, it produces more torque compared to the other b series powerplants and you can pick one up for dirt cheap, under a grand in most cases. The only problem I have w/ the LS motor is the usable powerband, you're not going to produce any power in the high rpm range but it depends on drivers preference, it's what you want. If you want something that'll get you 200whp no problem then settle for a d16y8 and boost it, bottom ends you basically can pick up with pocket lint. d16y8 you'll definately find dirt cheap and there's plenty of options when choosing the right turbo setup for your car, you'll basically find a descent turbo kit for your car for around 1200, look at it this way, 1200+400(motor)+tuning(100-150+/hr) you'll have what I call "the monster."
Old 09-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Upgrade Help (damnraz)

you could just boost your motor that you currently have. Then save up some money for the swap, then just change out the manifold and some other things, and bolt on your turbo kit to that.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Upgrade Help (damnraz)

How much whp is safe to have on my current motor? If I can just keep this motor, put a turbo on, and change a few small things, I'd be happy. Around 200 would be great, but I'm not sure what's possible.

Modified by Toroke at 2:09 PM 9/4/2005
Old 09-04-2005, 01:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Toroke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much whp is safe to have on my current motor? If I can just keep this motor, put a turbo on, and change a few small things, I'd be happy. Around 200 would be great, but I'm not sure what's possible.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure 200 is possible, with the right tuning. You can build it for more if you would like, but 200 whp is realistic on a stock block and proper tuning.

-Shane
Old 09-04-2005, 01:04 PM

Oh, and btw, I have heard next to nothing good about the SSAC manifolds. No personal experience, but I have heard and seen many bad things about those manifolds.

-Shane
Old 09-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it's good news that it's possible, but let me stress the fact that I'm new at this. Where should I go to find a reliable turbo kit for this engine? Also, I have to get my timing belt changed soon (almost 80k miles on motor now), so should I get a better head while the engine's ripped apart? That'll save me some mechanic money, as opposed to taking it apart twice. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Toroke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well it's good news that it's possible, but let me stress the fact that I'm new at this. Where should I go to find a reliable turbo kit for this engine? Also, I have to get my timing belt changed soon (almost 80k miles on motor now), so should I get a better head while the engine's ripped apart? That'll save me some mechanic money, as opposed to taking it apart twice. Thanks in advance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Possible, but unless you are doing all of the work yourself, 200 whp is going to be hard. Especially head work is going to cost quite a bit, depending on what you are doing to it.

Like I said, if you are doing the work yourself, 200whp is very possible, but otherwise, just the parts will obviously cost you about $3k.

-Shane
Old 09-04-2005, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

About where would I be if I got a turbo kit, cat-back, and maybe a cam?

Modified by Toroke at 8:08 PM 9/4/2005