Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic Type R in the US

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic Type R in the US

I know this has probably been asked a hundred times, but I'm not asking anything. Rather, I just wanted to let you guys know about an article I just read recently.

In the new issue of Sports Car International, there is a comparison of new hatchbacks in the ~20k range. Cars compared are the Civic Si, GTI 1.8T, Focus SVT, and Cooper S. That was also the order the cars ended up being ranked.

The Cooper S got first....Si got last. Anyhow, in conclusion, the mag reported that what the Si really needed to compete with that class of cars was an additional 40 horsepower, bigger rims and tires, and an aero kit.

They proceeded to say, "Sounds a lot like the Civic Type R. We will do another comparo when that car comes stateside next year."

I don't know how credible of a source it is, but there you have it. Some glimmer of hope that the badass ride might come here next year.

In related story, Motortrend had supposedly reported that we will see an SI-R version of the SI---exactly like the Si but with the k20a2 and 6speed from the RSX/CTR.

Let's just hope that they're on to something here.

Old 11-14-2002, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Civic Type R in the US (anjapower)

Why not buy one now?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1872276817
Old 11-14-2002, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Type R in the US (hondanut)

Hmm...cool. I wonder what that thing is gonna go for. I want real pics though. Not brochure pictures
Old 11-14-2002, 11:21 PM

There's a thread started about it already, actually. People think it's from Germany or France or somewhere else in Europe.

Several months ago, Car and Driver did a comparison which included the Civic Si, and they mentioned that the CTR could be coming too. Wow, wouldn't that be cool! I wonder what it will cost though?
Old 11-14-2002, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any idea what month that issue was from?
Old 11-15-2002, 10:22 AM

It's from March, 2002. Here you go:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...es.xml?&page=1

However, you'll need to look at the actual issue, because there's a sidebar where they mention that the Type R might be coming. I couldn't find that part in the online article.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks. I hadn't read that article before, but I had heard of that sidebar stating something about the Type R. It was either here on honda-tech or on vtec.net.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Civic Type R in the US

I live in the UK and my mum has a type-R, the UK version however lacks the LSD that the japs have, I will try and get some pics posted. However in the UK we dont get the Acura RSX (integra type-r) so we are missing out.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Type R in the US (thedon833)

Wait a minute. A real CTR in the US? Sounds to me like the swapped a RSX Type S motor in it. Shouldn't a true Civic Type R be lefthand drive? Just a thought though.......
Old 11-15-2002, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Civic Type R in the US (buster13)

Aren't JDM cars right hand drive like over here in the UK and the japs invented type-r!
Old 11-15-2002, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait a minute. A real CTR in the US? Sounds to me like the swapped a RSX Type S motor in it. Shouldn't a true Civic Type R be lefthand drive? Just a thought though.......
if you read the info at their site, http://www.evolutionimports.com, they say that the CTR will be left hand drive. It seems they are importing those CTRs that would be sold in Germany, etc, or other European countries where LHD is used. If it was a JDM CTR, it would be RHD.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Type R in the US (thedon833)

I live in the UK and my mum has a type-R, the UK version however lacks the LSD that the japs have, I will try and get some pics posted. However in the UK we dont get the Acura RSX (integra type-r) so we are missing out.
Atleast you guys get a Type R. Our RSX has the CTR engine in it. We haven't had a Type R since the 2001 (DC2) ITR.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Civic Type R in the US (George Knighton)

I thought all British cars are right hand drive. When you say "left-hand" drive, does that mean the driver sits on the left of the car, or does that mean the driver sits on the right side and drives with his/her left hand (as in shifting)?
Old 11-16-2002, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought all British cars are right hand drive. When you say "left-hand" drive, does that mean the driver sits on the left of the car, or does that mean the driver sits on the right side and drives with his/her left hand (as in shifting)?
It's a British CTR, designed for the rest of the European market that doesn't use RHD. The steering will be on the left hand side, just like all the US cars.
Old 11-16-2002, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

time to start saving.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Type R in the US (2camsaam)

These CTR's that are being imported seem pointless IMO. If you were acutally get a car imported, it's already gonna cost a bundle of money. So why not get a CTR with RHD and LSD imported from Japan instead of Europe? Probably around the same price too.

Either way, both cars are gonna have to go through the same process in the states, before they are even allowed on our roads.

For the price of bring one over, it's not worth it, unless you just want bragging right of having an imported car. With that kinda of money, my EH would be so fast, you wouldn't even be able to read my license plate cause you'd be so far behind.

Just my .02 and I'll have to pass on the car.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:17 AM

I got a CTR a real one, live in Germany. WEll funny is that all type r's, si from the civi´cs are build in the same factory but all are different from each other, why cant they be the same except the Si, you guys should get a Sir. the CTR would not sell in the us id say cause everyone drives automatic and it would cost a lot of money very few would buy it cause of this thats the reason they didnt get it in the first place. I though t it had a LSD, hmmm well its fun as heck to drive around Germany.
If it does sell in the US there would be a huge increase of parts for it and that would be good for me, Well we'll see in 2 month how it is,
congratulate me on my 17 b_day whoooohohhohhoho