Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic turbo (just curious)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic turbo (just curious)

I have been reading around the forum about different mods, but i am wondering what can be gained by adding a turbo to a stock 1.6 - D series engine(sohc non-vtec), i found that the rods and lower end can handle up to 220 hp without 'beefing' them up. would it be worth it? or would it be better to do a mini-me swap.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Civic turbo (just curious)

If you do the mini-me, you'll pick up a few whp; however, with the turbo setup you stand to gain over 100whp. I would put together a cheap little setup and shoot for that 220-240whp range. Once you get bored of that, invest in a Vitara/ Tuner Toys build and set some higher goals...
Old 12-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I may! I found turbo exhaist manifolds for about $130 to start....
Old 12-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your setup you currently have, if stock, is a d16y7. That manifold is albe to have certain turbos bolted right onto it. That saves some money right there. Go in The FI section on here and they will point you in the right direction. Also, d-series.org will help get you started.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My engine is the stock 1.6 Non-Vtec.. I exhaust manifold had that cat-manifold combo, and had a nasty crack, so i adapted a manifold from a '90 i think, so its not the original.. If the performance gains are what i am being told, or even near it, i dont think i would mind buying a turbo one..to fit my car... i have friends local with machine, and metal fabricating shops that can help me with plumbing.. not to mention junk yards..
Old 12-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Man U FTW

You should troll around the Forced Induction forum for a while and check out other stock internal turbo D's. You would be surprised at the number and range of setups out there. Also, the manifold-to-cat setup that's on your car is not going to affect anything. You'll more than likely want to remove most, if not all of your stock exhaust system when you turbo it...in order to upgrade to a larger diameter.

Again, check out the FI forum and get some ideas brewing
Old 12-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

deff check out the f/i forum, and do the vitara setup as mentioned. I done one in my last car, if you need help let me know and check out my sig. I've seen the tuner toy rods and the wrist pins fall through them very easily, i liked my eagle rods a lot. I've heard good things about tuner toys though so i guess its all good
Old 12-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

please please please, if you go through with this, get it properly tuned RIGHT when you're done putting everything together.

If you want your investment to last, its a must
Old 12-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh i will, right now i am just doing some home work. so can my engine have a turbo, without changing pistons?.. isnt 9.2:1 compression too high.? I had read some about the vitara pistons also, but if i have to lower compression before adding boost, i think ill get another engine and use it to build, that way i can keep driving mine and just swap it out..
Old 12-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You'll get a lot better power if you put a Y8 intake manifold on it. Sure, you can use the Y7 mani, they have charge pipes for that, no doubt. Though that 100* bend really pwns your air flow, and there's no way around it other than changing the manifold.

Also, I'd never trust a stock Y7 to 220whp, I don't care how good the tune is - that won't last long - plain and simple. A very healthy Z6, maybe. A y7? No. 220hp is a lot to be throwing at a stock D series motor.

Now I'm sure in response to that there will be some jackass(s) coming in here throwing hissy fits about their 220hp stock Y7, and it's not to say that it's not possible - it most certainly is - but it won't last long if you want to enjoy it. I wouldn't push a Y7 beyond 180 on stock internals.

Obviously you'll get more power out of your boosted Y7 than a mini-me swap. Though a mini-me swap with a EX trans will cost a ****-ton less (maybe about 1/5 to 1/4) the price of boost, so it's not like it's the same amount or anything.

I'd do a 2 step process, as I recommend to a lot of non-VTEC pushers lookin at the same situation you are:
- Do the mini-me swap, and if you have some extra, put on the EX trans (it's shorter), now this will do 2 things, A) It'll make yoru car faster, and B) It'll put your throttle body in the right damn direction.
- Then, if later, you want to boost, you can do it right, so you don't have that stupid *** angle that you'd have with the Y7 IM, and the Y8 manifold flows a lot better too - I'm sure the Y8 head does as a whole, too, but I don't know the specs on that so I'm not going to say it does.

Do a mini-me, then see if you're happy with it, or if you want more, maybe you can hold off. It's easier to do things in stages, IMO - because you don't spend as much, as fast, making the risk for dumb decisions lower, and less reversible. Plan and do it in stages, 'tis the way a budget build should go. Then, if you wanna boost later after you did the mini-me, you have a better platform for boost.

PS: If you swap the trans you might as well put a stage 1 clutch in there, even if you probably won't need it - this way you have extra trans support if you decide to boost, but an aftermarket sprung ownz a OEM clutch in terms of feel any day.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I already have the ex tranny, is the ex intake manifold a direct bolt?.. meaning, will there be left over plugs and vacuum lines.. I see what you mean about right direction.. Now the turbo itself, i can use a donor right?.. as long as its rated for a certain size. T3? any idea what production car would have the right size for the job?

Merry Christmas Everyone.