Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic Trunk Leak PLZ HELP! Pics INCLD

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:37 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic Trunk Leak PLZ HELP! Pics INCLD

I have a 99 civic sedan and it has a trunk leak that its driving me nuts! i have been trying many things and i can't seem to find where its coming from i have put silicone everywhere and let it dry to see if that would have solved my problem but that didn't work i ended up removing the silicone afterwards and i also got my rear window re sealed took it to a window place and they removed it all cleaned it up and put new glue on the rear window thought it would have solved my problem BUT nope did not there was not a single difference and i believe weatherstrip is not the issue so here are the details.....

(PIC #1)Pour Water here

(PIC#2) Water starts to come in thru here inside the trunk. Same goes for the other side even though we are just pouring on the left side it still somehow idk where travels and reaches the other side.

(PIC#3) I figured it was something here so i siliconed it to make sure see whats up did the same for the other side

(PIC#4) as i clearly check where is leaking its wet on both sides inside the trunk BUT i thought water would run from one side to another and i would be able to see it but you see its dry. Although you only wet the left side water runs thru IDK WHERE and reaches the right side and gets it wet inside in the trunk

Old 03-05-2015, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Civic Trunk Leak PLZ HELP! Pics INCLD

Did this exact fix on my 95 EJ1 a short time ago.

first off, remove all that silicone it just wont work, period. its quite likely that the body seam filler is cracked (microfractures) or has come away ever so slightly from the sheet metal. You'll probably find that some water runs down the backside of the vertical brackets in the sides of the trunk, making it harder to find the leak source.

1. Remove your trunk lid seal to access all the seam edges.
2. Get rid of the old seam filler (i used a wire wheel dremel-style.)
3. Repair any damaged paint/rust you might find under the seam filler.
4. Apply new seam filler, let cure and then paint to match. (alot of guys recommend the two part filler, seems to be fine).
5. Take a very close look at your trunk seal to find rips/damage and compression wear. replace and/or install. don't forget to use sealer on the trunk seal per the FSMs instructions on trunk seal installation.

Some example pics following: