Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic Si sound when turning (solved)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic Si sound when turning (solved)

I've got a 99 Civic Si, and the problem occured about 6 months ago, just before it started snowing. It just kinda happened one day and it came to my attention. My car makes an odd sound when I turn the wheel to the right, but I can't pinpoint which wheel it is. It does come from the front. I would describe it as a brushing or grinding sound almost. It's pretty faint, as It's never been brought to my attention by a passenger but I notice It every time. The sound can only be heard when moving above 25 mph or so. It only happens when I turn to the right. I read somewhere that I should turn the wheel all the way to the right and drive and listen for a clicking noise. I tried that and it was dead silent. Something to keep note of, is I believe I have a warped brake rotor because I feel pretty severe pulsing in my pedal. I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet but I plan on it in the near future. Any ideas?
Old 04-03-2015, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Civic Si sound when turning (solved)

from my experience, clunking noises coming from the front during turns is usually always related to anti roll bar links

could be ball joints

have you taken the wheel off to inspect? it may be immediately noticeable

with the wheel still on and steering wheel locked (key out of ignition) check for any kind of wheel movement/play. up and down side to side. the wheel should be solid

post pics
Old 04-03-2015, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't taken the wheel off due to the **** weather I have. I live in the snowiest city in america lol. I will when I get a chance. The sound isn't clunky. It's a faint brushing or grinding sound. It's hard to explain. It sounds like metal on metal contact but it's really vague.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also all four sway links were replaced in September.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your feeling a pulse in the pedal ,I would def start there, clicking noise would be cvt joint so probobly not that,could be a bearing to, drive down a quiet road 50km, turn steering wheel as you drive like you r going in and out of pilons, listen for the noise, if when you turn left it makes the noise, all the wieght is on ur right, so bad right wheel bearing and vice versa..good luck.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your input is appreciated. The noise only happens when I turn to the Right for sure
Old 04-03-2015, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If it's making a "clicking" noise when you turn to the right, it's your axle.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the front right axle replaced in September. There is no clicking sound. I took both wheels off and there is no play and the problem isn't evident by taking it off. I'm going to replace the rotors and hopefully this problem goes along with it.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

clicking noise usally happens when the bearings in the cv joint hit together I believe.replacing the axle usually includes the cv joint so that would explain y white eg1 said that. when you check for play in that area, the tire should be left on, thats what you grab on to when checking for play, and i cant remember if you jack up the car under the CA or on the body on this car, it depends on suspension set up.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I left the wheel on when I checked for play
Old 04-03-2015, 11:11 PM
orb
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on how you describe it, I believe it may be a wheel bearing. Just replaced the fronts on my EM1.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's the only think of. I'm replacing my rotors today so I'll look at the bearings
Old 04-04-2015, 08:04 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your rotors aren't warped. They have deposits on them from using pads that leave an uneven film on the rotor.

Buy better pads. Rotors don't warp on street cars. If you have a street or general use ceramic pad formulation....ditch it.

Your noise sounds like a lower ball joint to me. Does it go away when you lift the car and try to replicate it?
Old 04-04-2015, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Your rotors aren't warped. They have deposits on them from using pads that leave an uneven film on the rotor.

Buy better pads. Rotors don't warp on street cars. If you have a street or general use ceramic pad formulation....ditch it.

Your noise sounds like a lower ball joint to me. Does it go away when you lift the car and try to replicate it?
The noise only happens when the car is in motion and the wheel is turned to the right. I don't believe it can be replicated. I haven't tried to lift it and rev it.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And the rotors are slotted and drilled. The previous owner installed them and I don't know where they came from but the pads aren't even a year old.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:11 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is your rotor backing plate rubbing the rotor?
Old 04-04-2015, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Is your rotor backing plate rubbing the rotor?
No the dust guard isn't touching the rotor. That's not the problem I'm sure. I'm putting New rotors on today and I'll take a look at all the other components.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From my experience, the clicking noise when turning was due to an axle issue. You said you replaced the right axle; however, a clicking noise when turning right means that your left axle might be at fault. As for wheel bearings, I remember having a few symptoms when mine went bad. I had some minor wheel play, brake pedal pulsation, a clicking/grinding sound, and a "wom wom wom" sound after hitting 30 mph.

The clicking sound went away when I replaced my wheel bearing and wheel hub. My wheel bearing was so bad that some of the metal rings came off. I can upload pictures if you like it.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have any clicking noises. I have pulsation in the brake pedal and a grinding sound almost like a "wom wom wom" when I turn the wheel to the right at 25 plus ish mph. I have no other symptoms. No play in the wheels or steering wheel. No resistance or hesitation. If it wasn't for the noise I wouldn't have any idea something is wrong. That's my only symptom. I'm truly baffled
Old 04-05-2015, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rotors maybe.. and definatly bearing...thats what I think.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Another_Si_Guy
I don't have any clicking noises. I have pulsation in the brake pedal and a grinding sound almost like a "wom wom wom" when I turn the wheel to the right at 25 plus ish mph. I have no other symptoms. No play in the wheels or steering wheel. No resistance or hesitation. If it wasn't for the noise I wouldn't have any idea something is wrong. That's my only symptom. I'm truly baffled
had a similar issue caused by brakes. the rotor was not retracing properly... it sort of worked - but it caused the brakes to make a noise like that. it was more apparent though, but I thought it interesting that the sound would change when turning at a similar speed. My guess is the angle of the wheel flexes just slightly under turning, which puts more pressure from the pad to the rotor.

jack the car up in neutral and spin the wheel. got a similar grind type sound? probably. But then is it the brake or the wheel bearing? take the caliper off and spin the rotor. Quiet now? Then it's the brakes. Still loud? Then it's the bearing.

Or it could be any number of other things.

Funny, #1 - I cringed reading this thread every time someone started talking about clicking... you never mentioned clicking... #2. if it was clicking when turning right, it would probably be the LEFT axle (not that this is your problem) #3. I actually learned something from someone above mentioning the clunking being related to sway bar end links. I've had a similar issue with my 'sol and I can't wait to get home and inspect those links...

Good luck bro! When you figure it out make sure you post.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mithious
had a similar issue caused by brakes. the rotor was not retracing properly... it sort of worked - but it caused the brakes to make a noise like that. it was more apparent though, but I thought it interesting that the sound would change when turning at a similar speed. My guess is the angle of the wheel flexes just slightly under turning, which puts more pressure from the pad to the rotor.

jack the car up in neutral and spin the wheel. got a similar grind type sound? probably. But then is it the brake or the wheel bearing? take the caliper off and spin the rotor. Quiet now? Then it's the brakes. Still loud? Then it's the bearing.

Or it could be any number of other things.

Funny, #1 - I cringed reading this thread every time someone started talking about clicking... you never mentioned clicking... #2. if it was clicking when turning right, it would probably be the LEFT axle (not that this is your problem) #3. I actually learned something from someone above mentioning the clunking being related to sway bar end links. I've had a similar issue with my 'sol and I can't wait to get home and inspect those links...

Good luck bro! When you figure it out make sure you post.
Thanks man I really appreciate the input! I'm having the rotors replaced soon here. I noticed when I took the wheel off that the pads look like they're extremely close to the rotor. I took Some pictures on my phone but I can't figure out how to post them to the damn website from my phone lol. The pads on the left side have a lot of meat left on them. I changed them in May of last year!
Old 05-19-2015, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I apologize for the long wait, but the problem is solved. First I changed the front brake rotors and the noise was still there, but the pulsing was completely eliminated. The brakes felt brand new, no more thumping. Next I changed the upper ball joints and the two front wheel bearings, which are press in, and the noise was completely gone. The car now drives quieter and the steering feels better then before. I don't know which of the two were actually causing the problem, but they were both pretty bad. I hope this helps anyone who has the same problem. Thank you guys for commenting and giving me advice.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Civic Si sound when turning (solved)

Thanks for updating.