Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic Si Rear Brake Job.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Mike Jones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic Si Rear Brake Job.

Not super-mechanically inclined, but last night i did a brake job on my 93Si.
Did all 4 rotors and all pads.

As many of you know the rears can be a HUGE PITA with that rear piston.
Well i got the pistons back far enough so where i could fit the caliper over the pads.
When i took it for a spin, the rear driver was making a bit of grinding and seemed to want to stop the car like it was stuck.....

Took it back in, bled that brake a few times. Another test drive yielded better results, less noise, and almost no "stuck" feeling. However, it does still make a fairly harsh noise and it smells pretty bad.

Should i wait a few days and try and drive it off? Or should i take it to a shop and have them check it out?
Old 05-12-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Civic Si Rear Brake Job. (SlowPokeEg)

well i cant fix things if i cant see. wish i could help. i suggest taking it to a shop. good luck
Old 05-13-2005, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Si Rear Brake Job. (SlowPokeEg)

The rear piston is one that you spin right? If I were you I would just take it off and spin it back further. As far as it will go. It may seem like a PITA, but its actually pretty easy.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea the rear pistion is the on that spins. and like Ajax said it not a PITA. try changing rear drums now thats a PITA.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (azn6915)

I did a rear disc conversion instead of changing shoes in the drums. Probably was easier doing the full conversion

But ya, make sure the pads are in their little spots all snug like, and spin the piston back again. Then before you go out driving pump the brakes tight, then drive around and pump the brakes tight again. If its still grinding, it may be a faulty pad or something. Is the pedal feel okay right now at least?
Old 05-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Mike Jones

Default Re: (jolt-tsp)

Considerably less noise in normal driving today. Still a rough noise when the brakes are applied(you can defaintely hear the rear brakes grabbing with my hatch gutted too).....but i guess that is to be expected?

Also , these bad boys STINK!
Old 05-16-2005, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SlowPokeEg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowPokeEg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Considerably less noise in normal driving today. Still a rough noise when the brakes are applied(you can defaintely hear the rear brakes grabbing with my hatch gutted too).....but i guess that is to be expected?

Also , these bad boys STINK! </TD></TR></TABLE>

My brothers old Accord did that. It ended up fixing itself though so we never found out what it was.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:50 AM
Mike Jones

Default Re: (jolt-tsp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jolt-tsp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My brothers old Accord did that. It ended up fixing itself though so we never found out what it was. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, i think i failed to mention that i used Powerslot rotors and ceramic pads. So........i guess them being performance brakes/pads might have had something to do with that.

Another thing is on hard braking these bad boys grab HARD. On soft braking they feel a little soft. I guess that's a good thing for normal driving, but maybe i need to bleed a bit more and get a little more pedal