Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic Shaking while driving

Old 06-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic Shaking while driving

well my 92 civic vx starts shaking while driving, what would cause my car to shake while driving?
outer tie rods were replaced about 2500 miles ago, I did find dark green lube on my tranny its pretty thick, could my axle be going out and causing it to shake?
Old 06-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Shaking while driving (JDMbull)

low tire pressure, wheel out of balance, needs alignment. just a few things to start with.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it shakes real violently
Old 06-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMbull)

Sounds like something in the suspension is really messed up. Does it also shake while braking? If so check the rotors.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:16 PM

Default Re: (h2392si)

well when does it vibrate? slow speed, medium speed, fast speed....

does it go away or less shaking if ya go faster?
hit any large pot holes or curbes lately?

ya hear any poping when turning or accelerating/stoping?

be more specific as much as posible....
Old 06-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Shaking while driving (JDMbull)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMbull &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well my 92 civic vx starts shaking while driving, what would cause my car to shake while driving?
outer tie rods were replaced about 2500 miles ago, I did find dark green lube on my tranny its pretty thick, could my axle be going out and causing it to shake?</TD></TR></TABLE> did you get an alignment after you did the tie rods???? any bad tire wear on the inner/outer surface of the tires??? try this. jack your frontend up. grab the driver side wheel at 3 and 9 oclock. push and pull back and forth. if it has play then it could be one of two things or both. it could be a bad bearing or it could be worn out lower control bushings. you can check the lower control arm bushings by looking at them. also check and make sure none of the counter weights fell off your tires. this will cause your tires to shake bad.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no bent wheel its starts at 20mph, gets worser and worser as I go faster, lugs were on tight, the dark green lube I found came from the axle the axle has a tear in it, its the passenger axle, the only hub bearing I might be concerned about would be the driver hub, shaking comes from the passenger, front LCAs were replaced just yesterday
Old 06-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

replace the axles. bad axles tend to shake the car while driving
Old 06-26-2008, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Civic Shaking while driving (-Gambit-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -Gambit- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">low tire pressure, wheel out of balance, needs alignment. just a few things to start with.</TD></TR></TABLE>

do this 1st, my car used to shake at around 60-65mph, then i had 2 replace a tire, they balanced it, and it has stoped shaking. if none of this helps, then start checking/doing the other things these guys are mentioning.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TotalBalance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TotalBalance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">replace the axles. bad axles tend to shake the car while driving</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1

I had a tear in my axle boot, got it replaced and no more vibrations.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Shaking while driving (Toonz08)

i agree, start cheap, i would also check the ball joints, i dont think anyone mentioned them. look for a bubble in the tire!

i removed all of my calipers to paint them red recently after i finished them every once in a while the car would violently shake to the point where i didnt want to drive it! turns out i had a caliper locking on for some reason, the boot for the cylinder was torn before i painted (had no problems before so i wasnt worried) but thats when i went bad. If this is happening the rotor will be way hotter than the rest!
Happy hunting!
Old 06-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMbull &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it starts at 20mph, gets worse and worse as I go faster...</TD></TR></TABLE>Try not to drive too fast, and try to use this car as infrequently as possible until you fix it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMbull &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the dark green lube I found came from the axle the axle has a tear in it, its the passenger axle... comes from the passenger</TD></TR></TABLE>Um... This sounds like the first place you should start. Fortunately, I don't know what the color of Axle Grease is. But if your Axle or its Boots are busted and spewing grease all over the place, then..????

You don't need to replace your Hip when you sprain your Ankle.

My advice is to take your car to a few shops (or one you trust), and see what they say. You're gettin' people to suggest doing **** that only costs more money, and won't guarantee a fix otherwise.

GL, and let us know!!
JasonGhostz
Old 06-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checked your mounts lately?