Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic Radiator...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic Radiator...HELP!!!

Car: 96 hatch stock motor.

About a month ago, i had ran over a slick spot in the road and the car hit a guardrail. The fact of me hitting the guardrail made me believe i lost my front end or something, but luckily i drove away with nothing but a mis aligned steering wheel and a scraped bumper and hood. A couple days later i saw the radiator leaking coolant from the top, i got that replaced with another lightly used OEM (EG Radiator no difference but you never know) radiator. The new radiator worked fine for about a week or two and now when i pop my hood my whole engine bay is soaked with antifreeze...and the top of the radiator once again is leaked. I am wondering what it could be because the car has NEVER overheated nor has it gone past its normal temp. The car heats up normally in the morning or on a cold night, and when i turn on the heater/ac its all normal, only thing is its draining antifreeze like crazy and i hate having to be carrying a gallon with me and having to pay 10 bucks for more. So H-T can someone please give me a "E-Diagnostic" of what is going on? Really appreciate it, thanks!
Old 11-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Civic Radiator...HELP!!! (TypeOneSiR)

Pretty dumb question, but is the overflow recovery tube connected properly?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Radiator...HELP!!! (Perfectionist)

yea i had made sure all the hoses and tubing was connected, it was flowing good and was dry for about 2 weeks. It just started to leak and actually soak my whole engine bay this past monday.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Radiator...HELP!!! (TypeOneSiR)

i would replace the cap first
Old 11-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Radiator...HELP!!! (rivaladore)

lol.... so u say it only happens after u drive... so why not fill up radiator... pop ur hood... give throttle cable some action, see where old faithful sprouts from, BLAMMMM problem solved...
Old 11-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Radiator...HELP!!! (JDM_SOHC)

sounds good but i once had a leak that you could only notice after three hours of driving....which sucked bc i was in the middle of a 6 hour drive.......its always a good idea to keep a jug or two of water in the trunk
Old 11-28-2007, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, ***** for driving a problem waiting to explode. I wouldn't be driving it for 6 hours with coolant leaking all over the place. .Buy a coolant psi tester or <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_SOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol.... so u say it only happens after u drive... so why not fill up radiator... pop ur hood... give throttle cable some action, see where old faithful sprouts from, BLAMMMM problem solved...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rivaladore &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its always a good idea to keep a jug or two of water in the trunk</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha my trunk looks like a mini autozone.... oil, coolant, hoses, clamps, tools, lmao.... full interior, 2 12's, amp, jack, and jumper cables lmao... an us turbo single cam guys are supposed to be worrying about excess weight right, hahaha..
Old 11-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Radiator...HELP!!! (95dxsir2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95dxsir2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow, ***** for driving a problem waiting to explode. I wouldn't be driving it for 6 hours with coolant leaking all over the place. .Buy a coolant psi tester or </TD></TR></TABLE>

It was a very subtle leak, and it took about 3-4 hours of driving for the coolant level to go down. i tried to find the leak, believe me. thats why i had 4 jugs of water in my car. At the time I just did my timing belt and water pump, so being the noob i am i thought for some reason i had an air bubble in my system that was causing my coolant to leak out..... nope just a coincidence of a busted radiator right after i drained my coolant to do the job.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Radiator...HELP!!! (JDM_SOHC)

This morning, I had turned on the car after seeing some drops on the floor (Maybe from night before when i pulled in) and when i turned it on I look under the bumper to see drops falling. I had filled up the resevoir as the car was warming up in the morning. I got to work which is a 10-15 min drive including getting on the expressway. When i got to work i checked it and found the bay soaked! I even found some coolant on the intake hole (Stock Intake) Before with the old radiator it would just drip...but now my engine bay is soaked with antifreeze...what puzzles me is how much coolant it is spilling now, and how it gets all over the place...Prestone FTW!! I'll keep checking tomm morning and hopefully will get an answer!