Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic question...Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 09:24 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Civic question...Which one?

I am looking for a 92-95 Civic hutch. I do know that they come with 8 or 16v but I would like to know if one is better than the other as far as transmission and other components is concerned (have to know for potential swap)

I finally decided to get rid of the DSM. All I need now is some sucker to buy it!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I am sick and tired dealing with the DSM problems.....Boost is good but in the DSM it comes with a price!! When of course I actually drive it I forget about the sh%^ I just talked............

Thanks a lot,

Nikos

PS.To Typer895:I am putting the POS on the paper...Please do not try to change my mind.....
Old 02-05-2002, 09:26 AM
YodaIsGod

Default Re: Civic question...Which one? (2 B 4GO10)

VX HB is the lightest
HX is good for a swap because it already comes with the VTEC wiring.
Si HB is the heavest because of all the options it came with.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com has stuff on their project Civic HB
Old 02-05-2002, 07:37 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your planing on doing a swap, don't worry about what tranny comes with what. VX, HX, Si are all wired for vtec, they are the easiest as far as plug-n-play. I would get the VX because its the lightest one made....just my opinion.
Old 02-05-2002, 08:20 PM
HT White Ops

I am looking for a 92-95 Civic hutch [sic]...
Either these guys didn't read your message, or they don't know jack. The friggin' HX didn't even exist until '96. Hello?!?!?! But, they did have the right idea as far as weight is concerned.

If it was me, I'd get a the latest model in the range of years you specifed, the lightest model, and do a swap with the best motor, i.e. a '95 VX Hatch [2094 lb] with a H22A.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic question...Which one? (BlackDeuceCoupe)

Wouldn't an H22A be too nose heavy on such a light car? Especially for a daily driver. I think you'd be better off with a B16 or B18.
Well, it somewhat depends on what he decides to do with it. So, what are your plans? Drag, Auto-X, Daily driver?
Old 02-05-2002, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic question...Which one? (wizurdofawwz)

get the vx like everybody else is talkin about......perfect for a swap. they all are but its the beter one to go with as far a weight goes.
Old 02-06-2002, 04:27 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Wouldn't an H22A be too nose heavy on such a light car? Especially for a daily driver. I think you'd be better off with a B16 or B18.
Well, it somewhat depends on what he decides to do with it. So, what are your plans? Drag, Auto-X, Daily driver?

First of all I would like to thank all of you guys for your input.......

I want to use the car as a daily driver...Actually because I carpool to work I would only need to drive it one week out of every month so I figure that 3 weeks would be enough time to work on the swap. I also have a Volvo I can drive in case something goes wrong... If the swap goes as planned I would like to add some boost.... (suggestions are welcome).

I have been looking for one for he last month now and it is really hard to find a decent color. All I seem to find is green or some other weird color...

On H-T I have read that if you know what you are doing you can have a really nice setup for 6-8K...Is this true???

From what I read I think a VX should do it. I don't care if I need to roll down my window anyway....

I hope to find one soon. The DSM has pissed me off! Last 2 months I have bought a new 16G, (old turbo is going back to the car wjen I sell it),timing belt KIT, alternator, fuel filter,power steering pump, clutch,tires, etc.......
Most people tell me to keep it since I changed all that but I have a feeling that the tranny is next...It shows no signs but till I sell it I am taking it easy. This morning I got off the ramp and floored for 4-5 seconds. After I hit 125 mph on 4th gear I drove the rest of the way 60 mph! (No need to show up early in job.....state job.....)

Anyway I just want you guys to know I do appreciate your advice. My friend TypeR895 introduced me to H-T and since then I am hooked!!

Old 02-06-2002, 05:19 AM
HT White Ops

Wouldn't an H22A be too nose heavy on such a light car?
It weighs 135 lb more than B-series. I don't think that's too much. Plus, you can push a H22A to 650+ HP with bolt-ons. Here's what it'll look like...

Old 02-06-2002, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The 92 CX is also pre-wired for vtec. There is very little difference in the weight of the VX vs CX... and the CX is easier to find.

Adding the wire for VTEC is no problem anyway, I wouldn't that make your decision. Your main decision is whether you want to pay more for the Si or not. If not, then my advice is look for the cheapest thing you can find with a decent body on it.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:35 AM
Future Texas Boy

Plus, you can push a H22A to 650+ HP with bolt-ons. Here's what it'll look like...
Bolt-ons my ***. Plus, you don`t really need 650+..you need tracttion!

Here`s a good example: Buddy does 12.50`s in a DX w/ h22, i/h/e, and an 80 shot.

Ryan

[Modified by vtecvoodoo, 4:36 PM 2/6/2002]
Old 02-06-2002, 09:11 AM

dont worry about the color..id probably prime the sucker and leave at that..it wont attract any unwant d attention that way
Old 02-06-2002, 09:13 AM

wheres the power stearing pump and A/C at?? this guy want s a daily driver
Old 02-06-2002, 09:29 AM
YodaIsGod

Default Re: Civic question...Which one? (deepnite)

true...and H22 swap you lose P/S & A/C.

How about a built B20 with GS-R VTEC head?
Old 02-06-2002, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Civic question...Which one? (YodaIsGod)

keep it simple. Just get a gsr or b16.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Civic question...Which one? (fowler yo!)

650hp with bolt ons?!
what boltons are THOSE!
Old 02-06-2002, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Civic question...Which one? (KAMiN)

turbo
Old 02-06-2002, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic question...Which one? (fowler yo!)

I could be mistaken, but didnt all 92 civics come with the wiring for VTEC?
Old 02-06-2002, 02:07 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Civic question...Which one? (Ricey McRicerton)

All 1992 Civics are pre wired for VTEC.

The CX is just as light as the VX. the only difference is the light-*** VX wheels that you will get rid of anyways because they are only 13's.

Get a CX or VX. I sold my ols 1992 Si because it was too heavy - I got a 1992 CX instead.
Old 02-06-2002, 04:16 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Civic question...Which one? (vtecvoodoo)

Bolt-ons my ***. Plus, you don`t really need 650...
Look before you leap, chimp...

<u>APEXi DRAG INTEGRA</u>

SOURCE: Turbo Magazine Web Site

...The engine and drivetrain are a strange tag team of extreme and simple. The engine, which has high-tech components, uses simple street electronics to control fuel and timing, not a mega- expensive, race-only engine management system...

...One of the things we like about this high-tech marvel is that APEXi was smart enough to use its line-up of street electronics rather than a race-only system to control the H22A. The stock ECU has been replaced with an APEXi Power FC (December 2000, Turbo) "oversees the ignition timing and fuel delivery to the engine. The fuel system consists of two Bosch fuel pumps, -8 AN lines, 1,000cc injectors and an APEXi regulator mounted to a custom rail. The ignition side of the equation is made up of a system that retains the stock distributor cap as a crank sensor for the Power FC, but fires from a custom, direct fire set-up for maximum efficiency. The Honda H22A-based powerplant pumped out a fierce 609 hp on APEX Integration's Dynapack chassis dyno...
The APEXi Drag 'Teg is the second fastest front wheel driving drag machine in the world. The reason it's the second fastest is because they use mostly APEXi bolt-ons; stuff that you and I can buy over the counter.

Want further proof? I'll be glad to embarrass you more...
Old 02-06-2002, 04:21 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Civic question...Which one? (YodaIsGod)

true...and H22 swap you lose P/S & A/C...
Not necessarily. It's just more work than it's worth. In their OE positions, the A/C compressor sits right where the condenser is supposed to be [on a CiViC], and the P/S pump reservoir is so high in the engine compartment you can't close the hood. You can reposition all this poo poo given enough effort, but how gives a rat's *** anyway???
Old 02-06-2002, 06:28 PM
New User

The APEXi Drag 'Teg is the second fastest front wheel driving drag machine in the world. The reason it's the second fastest is because they use mostly APEXi bolt-ons; stuff that you and I can buy over the counter.
You're joking right? The tranny that's used in that isn't even for a honda/acura, it's from a nissan skyline or something like that i believe. Look at the way the engine is sitting, they had to flip it around for the tranny to work with it. Please don't tell me that that's a bolt on
Old 02-06-2002, 06:33 PM
New User

Default Re: Civic question...Which one? (93delsol)

650 with boltons?? Wow....i hope ur kidding....cuz that's the stunna mentality. I was in the same situation....but I decided to go with a simple gsr swap. I don't have much experience with hybrids...so jumping into an h22 swap seemed like a lil too much for now.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:16 PM

If the swap goes as planned I would like to add some boost.... (suggestions are welcome).
if you want a simple swap with some boost in mind, the answer is the b18b, an integra ls motor. the transmission has long gear ratios well suited to giving you the maximum ammount of time at full boost. the compression is lower, allowing fo ra little more boost on stock internals(i would suggest no more than 10 psi for a daily driver with a stock block). the price is also right. these motors can usually be had for roughly half the price of it's vtec siblings. hope this helps!

[Modified by Hanson, 4:17 AM 2/7/2002]
Old 02-06-2002, 08:25 PM
Trial User

I thought they had custom valvetrain and crankshat in the integra to get that sucker to spin backwards in addition to a 6 speed tranny intended for a nissan? I mean i guess the turbo and liquid air I/c is all bolt on technically, but when is a bolt on no longer a bolt on. Technically I guess you can consider all the engine internals bolt on, and a turbo system can be bolt on if you buy an oil pan with the extra fitting. But for most people bolt ons stop at I/H/E, maybe fuel, nitrous or even turbo kit.
Anyways this is off topic now
Get a 5th gen si for a daily driver. comfort is nice, forget all this weight crap. If you need to go faster add more traction and hp
Old 02-06-2002, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic question...Which one? (mps9506)

hahaha... u call that bolt-on?????

im only gonna say this once... son... stay off the drugs!

Quick Reply: Civic question...Which one?