Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

civic pulls to right when cornering to right

Old 06-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default civic pulls to right when cornering to right

I picked up a stock ej1, and started fixing it up. With stock everything, the car would track straight, brake straight, accelerate straight, everything.

However, when I would corner to the right, at freeway speeds, the car would "tug" and pull harder than I was cornering. It seems to only happen at certain parts of the turn.

Fast forward, I dropped the car on some KSport coilovers, got the car alligned. Everything else is the same. Same wheels and tires, etc.

I can notice the car handles MUCH better, but it still does that "pulling" thing. Again, the car doesn't pull at all when going straight. I can let go of the wheel, and it will just go straight forever.

I can't figure this out. Anyone got any clues? Could it be the tires? They don't look bad to the naked eye. I checked tire pressure, and all is the same. I'm stumped, and scared too, because it tries to pull hard enough to force a tail out slide.

HELP?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: civic pulls to right when cornering to right

bad tie rods. check all the steering components. i just replaced my rack and my car doesnt shake at 130mph anymore
Old 06-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^

tie rods huh? Sounds legit to me. I have had mechanics tell me that I need to replace my tie-rods on my other Hondas before.

I guess thats a cheap enough fix. Hope it works.

(does it make any more sense if I said that it seems to only do it if the tire crosses over the painted line on the side of the road?)
Old 06-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pvt_awol
^

tie rods huh? Sounds legit to me. I have had mechanics tell me that I need to replace my tie-rods on my other Hondas before.

I guess thats a cheap enough fix. Hope it works.

(does it make any more sense if I said that it seems to only do it if the tire crosses over the painted line on the side of the road?)
I have an RSX-S and that happens with mine too. It May be bump steer. I know that is not the answer you were looking for but crossing a line normally would not matter in other set ups. But since we have McPherson setups (same as an RSX I do believe) we are prone that when ever we mess with suspension geometry (ie: lowering the car).
Rear Wheel drive is the way to go.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:20 PM

It could also be related to the fact that the Civic has unequal length axles. As a result under certain conditions your car will pull to the right. The is especially true when that part is isolated...e.g. going through a right hand turn. I have heard of some people making a mod to their cars to get equal length axles...but I haven't done it personally.

I would also check the tie rods and ball joints...but my bet is on the fact that it is simply the unequal length axles.

Last edited by shailoche; 06-04-2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, I'm swapping in an LS/VTEC build soon, and that should cure the equal length axle problem.

Thing about bumpsteer, I've owned 4 or 5 other EG style civics, and even EK's and DC's. All have been lowered or had suspension mods. This is the first one that "pulls" like this. And keep in mind, it doesn't always happen. It only seems to be certain corners, at freeway speed (80mph) turning right. And it was doing it before I messed with the suspension at all.

that is why I think it's a part that needs replaced. rather than a natural occurence. Still, it's weird that it only does it when the car "crosses" the painted fog line.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will try to describe what it feels like

imagine this:

You're cornering at 80mph going through a long sweeping right hand corner. The car feels good, and responsive. You start to cross the white line, and the front inside tire feels like it looses pressure. The car pulls inward as if you suddenly steered the car harder in that direction. Gives you the feeling that the back end could break loose, and cause a sort of "drift" if you will.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:03 PM

deleted

Last edited by wazooz2424@aol.com; 10-07-2009 at 12:02 PM.