Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic pull a trailer? Hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic pull a trailer? Hitch?

I wanted see if it was possible, I have a very light sport quad, I am looking for a very small trailer. I have seen them around before.

Does anyone make a hitch that would fit a 95 Civic Coupe EX?

questions, comments, concerns
Old 11-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic pull a trailer? Hitch? (Alaska700)

You're Honda Manual will tell you that the car is absolutely not for towing. In fact, I wouldn't put it past it being illegal honestly.

Think about it, you're wanting to pull something with a torqueless 4 cylinder that weighs probably 1/4 of it.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:36 PM

I've got a 2000 Civic Hatchback SE. I have a Reese hitch, and have often pulled a 4' x 8' utility trailer, with no issues whatsoever. I have even pulled a streamline 6 x 12 all fibreglass trailer, but that was a bit of work.

I've got one of these trailers.....

http://www.northerntool.com/we...65468

I added a plkywood floor. It has pulled a quad, a motorcyle, two dirt bikes, and a Snapper lawn mower.

It is not illegal to pull a trailer with your Civic. If it was illegal, you wouldn't be able to rent a trailer from U-Haul. Go to their web site and enter your car make, model and year, and a list of the maximum trailer sizes you can pull will come up.

Happy towing.. just remember that your stopping distances will be greatly increased.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic pull a trailer? Hitch? (Plumster)

i think max, with occupants, a Honda civic is only supposed to be able to tow 400 lbs.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic pull a trailer? Hitch? (DeadEnd9009)

I know a guy, pulls his jetski with a 94 corolla dx. 1.8 WITH 110HP, he pulls it with no problem, and runs the **** out of the car when he does.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy pulled my '99 EX coupe home from a gas station when I spun a bearing with his d15 powered EG....

Another buddy pulled a H22 Prelude with a b16 powered EG....
Old 11-30-2006, 10:54 PM

possible but i wouldnt recommend it. if you do, try to get as much weight on the back side of the trailer wheels as you can, thus you will be less likely to lift the front of the car.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:56 PM

Search for hitch in google. You'll find plenty of companies that make Class I hitches for your car.

Look at the door jam sticker. It will tell you how much you can tow. The hitch will also tell you along with the maximum tongue weight.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:45 AM

long distances are definitely a no-no. avoid uphill and too much weight. yes i have pulled a crx with a civic eg hb but that was across the street. when you hit uphill, the transmission will go out, trust me. it isn't made to tow very much. ask anyone that mods small suvs to tow. go over the tow rating 500lbs and the tranny will blow when going uphill. if you really want to tow with your car, get an electric assisted trailer, that increases your tow rating dramatically but your tranny will still go out when going uphill. crvs are even notorious for having transmission problems while utilizing maximum tow capacity. also, a fresh clean set of brakepads wouldn't hurt and towing during the evening where traffic is minimal also lowers the chance of running into someone if the brakes fail. you don't want to tow long distances in a civic because of premature brake fade.

all in all, just buy an old truck with a trailer hitch.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic pull a trailer? Hitch? (MyEG6)

my dad tows his jetski with his WRX. Hes got no problems,
Old 12-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Civic pull a trailer? Hitch? (MyEG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MyEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">long distances are definitely a no-no. avoid uphill and too much weight. yes i have pulled a crx with a civic eg hb but that was across the street. when you hit uphill, the transmission will go out, trust me. it isn't made to tow very much. ask anyone that mods small suvs to tow. go over the tow rating 500lbs and the tranny will blow when going uphill. if you really want to tow with your car, get an electric assisted trailer, that increases your tow rating dramatically but your tranny will still go out when going uphill. crvs are even notorious for having transmission problems while utilizing maximum tow capacity. also, a fresh clean set of brakepads wouldn't hurt and towing during the evening where traffic is minimal also lowers the chance of running into someone if the brakes fail. you don't want to tow long distances in a civic because of premature brake fade.

all in all, just buy an old truck with a trailer hitch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah that's a good basic rundown of it. What I've learned from modifying big trucks (not half ton *****) to tow lots is it's more of a balanced science than anything else...everything has to be "within spec."

With that said, what's the quad's and the trailer's combined weight.

It's pretty simple, just keep your RPM's higher than 4k when going uphill and you should be fine. If you have a manual transmission it should be all good, if you have an automatic tranny on a '95 you might run into issues, but still downshift for hills or ur gonna run into problems as the honda auto trannys don't like to be fucked with - they break easily.

With that part outta the way just buy a trailer hitch...they're common enough. have it welded onto someplace sturdy...dunno where as I don't know much about unibodies opposed to real frames but whatever, I'm sure there's some sturdy place back there...

Small trailer w/ a sport quad should be no problem, just expect longer break distance, don't nail it on accel, **** like that, use ur head is all...
Old 12-01-2006, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Civic pull a trailer? Hitch? (turnsignalandy)

my buddies got a crvtec and pulles 2 jet skies for like the last 2yrs does fine.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Puts too much strain on the transmission, and will burn your transmission out evenentually
Old 12-02-2006, 06:33 AM
a/k/a Jomo

I used my '99 Civic Si to tow my CBR600 to track lots of times. Never a bit of problems. I had a Draw-Tite bolt on Class I. Even cleared my Mugen Twin-loop at the time. Never any problems.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Civic pull a trailer? Hitch? (Mr Hammond)

My brother towed his beater Camry with a Civc that had a d16, made it all the way (~8 miles). I think it'd work for just a small trailer and 800ish pounds of 4wheeler.

Just an FYI last June I came up behind a trailer, but couldn't see anything pulling it. As I rode up besides it, it was a 300SX with a hitch sticking out of it's bodykit.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Civic pull a trailer? Hitch? (HiProfile)

pulled a small jet ski, with my 4 door integra with hidden hitch all summer, worked like a charm. actually couldnt even tell it was back there....
Old 02-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its a unibody its not built for towing itll bend the unibody if you tow too much.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Plumster
I've got a 2000 Civic Hatchback SE. I have a Reese hitch, and have often pulled a 4' x 8' utility trailer, with no issues whatsoever. I have even pulled a streamline 6 x 12 all fibreglass trailer, but that was a bit of work.

I've got one of these trailers.....

http://www.northerntool.com/we...65468

I added a plkywood floor. It has pulled a quad, a motorcyle, two dirt bikes, and a Snapper lawn mower.

It is not illegal to pull a trailer with your Civic. If it was illegal, you wouldn't be able to rent a trailer from U-Haul. Go to their web site and enter your car make, model and year, and a list of the maximum trailer sizes you can pull will come up.

Happy towing.. just remember that your stopping distances will be greatly increased.