Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

civic with problems. keep sell or take back?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default civic with problems. keep sell or take back?

okay, i was hyped on buying my old managers car. said i would do it, and got it. he wants 1500 for it as it sits. its got the body kit junk, lights, fenders, header, cai, apexi n1 mid pipe, pep boys fart can, short shifter, msd cap/ rotor, msd wires, msd coil, trans has been rebuilt and a set of motegi 5 spokes black with silver lip and nice yokohamas(not too old). its ricey, but i had planned on putting stock bumpers and fenders back on it and dropping it a little in the future...

so in the week ive driven it, i love it, it drives good and runs half decent, but the clutch started going out on me in that week. i havent truely dogged the car, since i havent paid for it, yes, i did get on it a little bit, but i didnt wind it up, or smoke the tires, nothing to hurt the clutch.

so we bring it in to the bay at work after we finished so i could check out what i gotta do for the clutch, and we start looking it over. and heres what we found...

-it needs a master cylinder, it is leaking onto the power booster
-it needs rear calipers as they are leaking a little
-it will need pads/ turn the rotors soon.
-it needs the clutch replaced
-it needed a slave cylinder while i had it in the one week which i replaced
-the rear control arm bushings are beat and needs to be replaced
-it burns oil pretty bad around 4k and up, its the rings...
-something is weird with the shifter, it feels like neutral in any gear, its not bushings, but could be where there is a bolt where the bitch pin should be
- it needs an alignment( was known beforehand)
- needs a rotate and balance( was known)

overall the car is in decent shape, just a bunch of things that need to be taken care of, and the body is kind of rough with small dents and dings in numerous spots. the car only has 138k miles and needs some work in my opinion.

what do you guys think? guys at work say just tell him to take it back, but inside, hes my buddy, and i dont want to do that to a friend after i told him id buy it... yeah, i might have made a mistake, but i think i should man up. were meeting up this weekend to figure it out.

basically i want to see what you guys think about this, and what you think i should do?

talk him down a little bit to around 1000, or stick to our payment deal of 1000 this weekend, and the other 500 in june? or just lose a friend and kind of screw someone over and just give it back?

please make the comments in line, im just asking for a little help making up my mind.

heres a couple pics..

John
Old 05-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I Need Help

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2407755
Old 05-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: civic with problems. keep sell or take back?

thank you for reopening boostedcivicsir
Old 05-13-2009, 06:16 PM

hmmm try and work him down to at least 1200 or the amount all those parts will cost. it doesnt look half bad other than the bumper and fenders haha
Old 05-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i mean, i would feel like a dick if i told him to just take it back, plus, in reality, its all just maintenace type things that should have been done a while ago, now i just have to do them as i can, its not major leaks or anything scary, just its starting to show...

i think i will keep it, and try to talk him down.

any other opinions?
Old 05-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

let him know everything thats going on and if you two are friends then you will work something reasonable out. going on about the car, put all your cash towards mechanical things first. i dont know about you but for me the best thing about my car is driving it when everything is working great. then work on the appearance after...since you made the deal you need to follow through but its just something to talk about
Old 05-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I seriously think 1500 is a decent price for a driving Civic. I would stick to that because everything you mentioned is a lot of little and easy **** to fix. i have seen worse shape for the cost more. so 1500 not bad.

As for the smoke above 4000 rpm. that is not gonna harm nothing and will drive like that for ever as long as you keep oil in the engine. my car does this now. i think its the valve stem seals. but you can easily cover this up with a 8 dollar lucas oil additive and it wont smoke any more.

the clutch is $115 complete kit and if you can't do it your self than look at $200 to have someone to do it and then 115 extra for clutch. and it may not be the clutch it may only be the master cyl and slave cyl need replacement and after that it will be good.

The master cly is only $30 and easy to change out and slave is only $15.

So over all i think its a good deal. maybe talk him down to 1000 or 1200 to save your self a little money.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And its a Honda, Its not gonna leave you stranded. their very reliable cars and hardly ever brake down and good on gas. it will give you a early sine of something is going out but won't actually give out for a long time.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i kept running over the same things in my head, along with the guys at work, they say get rid of it, i want to keep it.

because im not going to get the parts this car has, for the price im paying for it...

i can do the work myself at the shop when i get off, so its nothing big or new to me.

im pretty sure its the clutch, the way it slipped going up a hill, if you gave it half or so throttle in 2nd up hill, it would slip, hasnt since, but i havent been stuck in traffic on a hot day like that since....

i think i may do the smc and clutch at the same time, then i know its all good seeing that i already did the slave...
Old 05-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

slipping while the clutch is under a load is also a sign of the clutch needs bleeding or somethings wrong with master or slave cyl. its probably not fully engaging the clutch now. but after you replace and bleed the lines it will. i would do this first cause a stock Honda's clutch can last up to 280K miles.

And i understand if this was a Ford and was having these problems then let it go but this is a little reliable Honda. easy to fix when it does break.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, ive replaced the slave, and bled the lines with my father, who is also a mechanic(30 years experience) i could try that first, its cheaper i guess, but im pretty sure its going to need a clutch.

its got a lightened flywheel, and had some kind of stage 2 clutch put in like 40k ago, and now its doing this, idk whats going on, its weird.

i just dont want to be stuck with a basket case, i think thats what im afraid of...
Old 05-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe he replaced it with a stage 2 clutch from ebay and that is why its already messing up. how does the pedal feel? firm or easy and kinda slushy? and does the clutch catch good if you take 1st gear to high rpm and hit second real hard? if it burns the tire a little than its good if it slips than its probably bad.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:24 PM

wat everyone is saying is true. they are little problems and its not like there just going to all fail at the same time. it will be a while before that happens. I would try and work him down some and just keep it
Old 05-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man dont screw up a friendship over a car. i mean it is a used car and with every used car comes maintenence. i just got an integra and had it about 2 weeks and i need to put brakes on it, replace exhaust, get new wheels, sway bar end link, new lca's, new coilovers (heated springs). i mean they arent gonna be perfect. plus...you will know for sure what is done to it and know that all that stuff SHOULDNT mess up anytime soon. IMO tell him you will give him $1000 for it and see how much the repairs will cost. but def dont give it back cuz the friendship is more important that $500 worth of car repairs.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:18 PM

for 1500.00 you cant go wrong, for 1500, id expect more to be wrong with it. Figure if everything goes bad, you can still part it out and come out ahead. Definately gonna need a new clutch tho, the slipping has 0% to do with the slave and master cylinder. Buy it, talk him down a little bit, or dont, but either way you come out ahead.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

blue book in fair condition is 2160 for a 95 civic ex with 137k on the odo.

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pric...uizConditions=

this is a 14 year old car. of course it will have some minor things wrong. no big deal.

rear calipers...300
balnce and rotate....50
alignment....50+
master cylinder...100
new clutch...100
rear control arm bushing...40

toal price..640 and you learn some things possible. isnt this why you wnated this car? so you could tinker with it?

you paid 1500... plus 640 for parts and guess what...thats your blue book value. 2100 grats on finding a fair condition car for 2100.

any car... i mean any car running is worth 1,000. if i find a car under 1k (parts and labor) i ****** it up. i turn around and fix it and sell the car for 1k. matter of fact they sell very quick. one or two days max in the local newspaper. everyone wnats a 1k car that is runing. puke green ford tempo rides like crap...1k 76 chevy p/u 4x4 two tone wont pass emissions...1,400 87 honda accord no heat...1k the lists goes on and on.

bottom line...you have a fun little car that you could easilly sell for 1500 again. everything you mentioned mechanically wrong is stuff people swap out daily. motors are so cheap to get..no big deal...rear calipers...someone will wnat a big brake kit. needs clutch...put in a stage 5 1 puck space made disc.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i paid 2500 for my civic in worst shape so 1500 is a good price
Old 05-14-2009, 12:05 AM

You got a very good deal it is clean minus the fenders and front end the shell alone aroud here anyways is 1000. do the work your self and take pride in your car.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell it. Get a stock Civic and start from scratch.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

talk him down to 1250-1300 and fix the clutch

really though; What did you expect for that price?
Old 05-14-2009, 02:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i get all parts at cost if i order them while im at work, and also i can align the car at work when its slow one day, but ill do that when i do the lca bushings. rotate and balance is free also.

i love working at a shop.

im going to keep it i think. i was dealing with wrong parts plus being hot and very tired didnt help yesterday...

thanks guys