Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic Peeling Paint - Do All The Colors Do This?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic Peeling Paint - Do All The Colors Do This?

I've got the Dark Amethyst Pearl and it's peeled off in large spots.

Do all the Civic paint colors peel? Not just the clear coat... Everything all the way down to the gray primer underneath? I've seen other Dark Amethyst Civics do this as well, but I've never seen it on the other colors.

I've seen clear coat problems on all the colors, but I'm talking about <U>everything</U> coming off, not just the clear.

LGWild
Old 09-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Peeling Paint - Do All The Colors Do This? (Long Grain Wild)

I honestly think cars in blue paint tend to peel much more than any other color. All chrysler blue paints peel right down to the primer on the roof, hood, trunk, then a chunk will flake off the sides and it just keeps growing
Old 09-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Peeling Paint - Do All The Colors Do This? (CBL9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CBL9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I honestly think cars in blue paint tend to peel much more than any other color. All chrysler blue paints peel right down to the primer on the roof, hood, trunk, then a chunk will flake off the sides and it just keeps growing </TD></TR></TABLE>
That's because it's a chrysler

OP, was your car ever repainted? Some OEM colors FADE faster than others, but I've never heard of any peeling like that..
Old 09-13-2007, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Peeling Paint - Do All The Colors Do This? (SoCal EJ1)

1994 Grand Caravan LE - bought new never repainted
2000 Grand Cherokee Limited - bought new never repainted

both roofs started peeling around 5 years, never will buy a blue car again, i swear all blue cars do it, its weird, real weird

Old 09-13-2007, 07:47 AM

The paint peeling off of Chrylsers is because they used a water-based paint in order to lower emissions during production of the vehicles (for certain years). This paint doesn't bond properly to the primer they used, and therefore you get a crapload of peeling paint.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Civic Peeling Paint - Do All The Colors Do This? (Long Grain Wild)

My 99 hatch was doing this alooong time ago. It's amethyst also.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Peeling Paint - Do All The Colors Do This? (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My 99 hatch was doing this alooong time ago. It's amethyst also.</TD></TR></TABLE>
All the way down to the primer, not just the clear, right?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CBL9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">both roofs started peeling around 5 years, never will buy a blue car again</TD></TR></TABLE>
Why didn't you warn me before I bought this one?????

Old 09-13-2007, 10:41 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Civic Peeling Paint - Do All The Colors Do This? (SoCal EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoCal EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OP, was your car ever repainted? Some OEM colors FADE faster than others, but I've never heard of any peeling like that..</TD></TR></TABLE>
No modern OEM color fades faster than another. Modern automotive paint is clearcoat. Clearcoat does not fade like conventional paints do. All you're seeing is oxidation, which can be buffed off. Oxidation is a blueish white color, thus red cars are more likley to suffer from "fading", as are any dark colored car.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CBL9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1994 Grand Caravan LE - bought new never repainted
2000 Grand Cherokee Limited - bought new never repainted

both roofs started peeling around 5 years, never will buy a blue car again, i swear all blue cars do it, its weird, real weird

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Stop buying Chryslers, not blue cars.

I've seen the same issue in a DAP hatch before (1999). It could have been that there was a mistake in the paint process. What years were the other DAP hatches that this happened to?
Old 09-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

got a black 95 dx it looks primer in some places from the fading
Old 09-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My wife's car (99 civic EX hatch) was completely flaking off around most of the edging along the upper parts (Roof, windows). (I say was, as she was the middle car in a 5 car pileup a couple weeks ago, hatch got crunched. Front bumper, meet mr. Engine block. Rear bumper, meet mr. back seat)

She said it was purple, and I guess it was, but it looked mostly blue to me.

John
Old 09-13-2007, 11:32 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (Aodhan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aodhan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My wife's car (99 civic EX hatch) was completely flaking off around most of the edging along the upper parts (Roof, windows). (I say was, as she was the middle car in a 5 car pileup a couple weeks ago, hatch got crunched. Front bumper, meet mr. Engine block. Rear bumper, meet mr. back seat)

John</TD></TR></TABLE>
Your wife did not drive a '99 Civic EX hatchback. There is no such thing. It's either a CX or DX.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

i have a question just 2 interupt for a second, so does this mean that the EBP paint that the 99-00 SI's wer painted with fade quicker than other colors? and would the OEM white paint fade less quickly due 2 the fact that it is a lighter color?
Old 09-13-2007, 11:46 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (JDean6pac)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDean6pac &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a question just 2 interupt for a second, so does this mean that the EBP paint that the 99-00 SI's wer painted with fade quicker than other colors? and would the OEM white paint fade less quickly due 2 the fact that it is a lighter color?</TD></TR></TABLE>
NO.

Re-read my post. Color that suffer from more blatant OXIDATION than others (These paints DO NOT fade because all '96-'00 Civics were painted with a clearcoat):

- Dark colors
- Colors that are the opposite of blue - i.e., orange, red, etc.

So EBP and white would actually not look like it's in bad condition until it's farther gone than any red paint with oxidation. EBP just is not that dark of a color, plus it's blue. It could look a little pale, and eventually chalky because of oxidation (just like ANY other color).

OXIDATION IS WHITE WITH A BLUE TINT.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bottom line, wash and wax your car regularly and oem paint will last longer than you need it too.

Oh, and don't leave it in 120 degree temps.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well excuse the f*"" out of me for a typo. DX.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:12 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aodhan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well excuse the f*"" out of me for a typo. DX.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You don't have to cry about it. All I did was correct you. I didn't call you a name or anything.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just get tired of **** retentive gotta correct everything everyone says people on message board anymore. Sorry, having a REALLY bad day...
Old 09-13-2007, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Peeling Paint - Do All The Colors Do This? (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've seen the same issue in a DAP hatch before (1999). It could have been that there was a mistake in the paint process. What years were the other DAP hatches that this happened to?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine's a 99 DAP hatch and I've seen other DAP hatches with the same problem but I don't know what years they were. It's obvious that there was a problem on the production line, either with the paint or with either materials or application. Gas filler door, roof, spoiler above hatch window, etc...

Just so everyone understands, I'm not talking about oxidation of the clear coat. That happens to cars of all colors from all makes under certain circumstances. I'm talking about the <U>color</U> layer completely leaving the car and taking the clear coat off with it. Leaves behind a gray colored strip-mined looking section of primer behind.

Oxidation of the clearcoat can be repaired by buffing. What I'm talking about cannot be repaired without adding new paint.

I guess my big question is... Does this happen to all the other colors as well or just the Dark Amethyst Pearl? I've never seen it on any other colors. Anyone else?
Old 09-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Ek Forever y0!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aodhan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just get tired of **** retentive gotta correct everything everyone says people on message board anymore. Sorry, having a REALLY bad day...</TD></TR></TABLE>

She wasn't being **** retentive. She was just correcting you for the archives sake. We don't want some noob finding this thread a few months from now and have him/her ask us about ex hatches.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:57 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aodhan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just get tired of **** retentive gotta correct everything everyone says people on message board anymore. Sorry, having a REALLY bad day...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Np. Just want to keep things clear.

I've actually been interested in building an EX hatch for awhile and it's going to be a decent amount of work. Cruise control, moonroof, power doors, etc. If we're lucky enough to find a DX hatch to our liking, we might be able to grab one with both power steering and air conditioning (options for the DX).
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Long Grain Wild &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine's a 99 DAP hatch and I've seen other DAP hatches with the same problem but I don't know what years they were. It's obvious that there was a problem on the production line, either with the paint or with either materials or application. Gas filler door, roof, spoiler above hatch window, etc...

Just so everyone understands, I'm not talking about oxidation of the clear coat. That happens to cars of all colors from all makes under certain circumstances. I'm talking about the <U>color</U> layer completely leaving the car and taking the clear coat off with it. Leaves behind a gray colored strip-mined looking section of primer behind.

Oxidation of the clearcoat can be repaired by buffing. What I'm talking about cannot be repaired without adding new paint.

I guess my big question is... Does this happen to all the other colors as well or just the Dark Amethyst Pearl? I've never seen it on any other colors. Anyone else?</TD></TR></TABLE>
You might want to start watching for the years now...

So far it seems your '99 DAP hatch, EE_Chris's '99 DAP hatch and the '99 DAP hatch I saw were all ones with paint problems. So far no '97-'98 cars were mentioned having paint issues. '97-'99 were the only years that the DAP hatch was made in the US.

I've never seen this issue on other paint colors or other years of this same color.

So I'm starting to wonder if there was a flaw in the paint process for 1999 Dark Amethyst Pearl. It seems it's not for all DAP hatches, but maybe just 1999.

Good news for anyone with any other year DAP or any other color car, but bad news for the people who own '99 DAP hatches.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">She wasn't being **** retentive. She was just correcting you for the archives sake. We don't want some noob finding this thread a few months from now and have him/her ask us about ex hatches.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, I'm not **** retentive at all.

Btw, you better look at that link I sent you. Tell me what you think. Don't worry, it'll be painted before I use it.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Ek Forever y0!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Btw, you better look at that link I sent you. Tell me what you think. Don't worry, it'll be painted before I use it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lip is BALLIN
Old 09-13-2007, 06:04 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

*shhhh*

Old 09-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You might want to start watching for the years now...

So far it seems your '99 DAP hatch, EE_Chris's '99 DAP hatch and the '99 DAP hatch I saw were all ones with paint problems. So far no '97-'98 cars were mentioned having paint issues. '97-'99 were the only years that the DAP hatch was made in the US.

I've never seen this issue on other paint colors or other years of this same color.

So I'm starting to wonder if there was a flaw in the paint process for 1999 Dark Amethyst Pearl. It seems it's not for all DAP hatches, but maybe just 1999.

Good news for anyone with any other year DAP or any other color car, but bad news for the people who own '99 DAP hatches. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of..... I'm just lucky, I guess. I'll watch the years of the other DAP hatches I see with the problem, but the bottom line for me is that I'm scrooed.

So.... Anyone want to trade a 96-98 hatch for my 99 DAP hatch with the strip mining? Mine's a 5 speed with air and P/S. HAHA!!

Old 09-13-2007, 06:33 PM
H-T White Ops

I made another thread with the paint color in the title to try to attract other DAP owners.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2097477
Old 09-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the help!

I was thinking that it might also be a good idea to put something in the paint forum but I didn't want to cross post and since it seemed to be a Civic problem I only posted here.

So should I go to that other thread and sign up as having the problem? Seems between mine, and EE_Chris's we've got two confirmed so far.

Quick Reply: Civic Peeling Paint - Do All The Colors Do This?