Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic manual transmission rebuild questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Civic manual transmission rebuild questions...

93 Civic dx manual D15B

My transmission works well but the thing is sometimes it makes a grinding noise when I first shift it to reverse(I'm guessing some teeth are missing on the reverse gear or something?),It makes this weird clicking noise after 4000 rpm in first gear and I believe its the original transmission which means it has about 150,000 miles on it(I think they go around 180,000 or 200,000?).So I'm thinking about rebuilding it.I've never rebuilt a transmission but with help from the service manual I think I can do it.So what I want to know is:

What all is needed to rebuild the transmission(gaskets,bearing,etc.)?

Is rebuilding a manual transmission on these cars difficult?

If I do decide to rebuild,while I have the transmission off I'll probably get a new flywheel.Do aluminum flywheels wear quicker than the stock flywheels?

Does it sound like a rebuild is a good idea or should I leave well enough alone?

Old 09-16-2008, 08:46 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Civic manual transmission rebuild questions... (fryman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fryman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">93 Civic dx manual D15B

My transmission works well but the thing is sometimes it makes a grinding noise when I first shift it to reverse</TD></TR></TABLE>

either pause for a minute after depressing the clutch before trying to shift into reverse or shift into a forward gear before shifting to reverse and it wont grind. Its actually in the owners manual. Reverse isn't syncronized like the forward gears are. I don't have any easy tips for your clicking though. Transmission rebuild is supposed to be pretty easy.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic manual transmission rebuild questions... (94EG8)

Oh I see.I'll give that a shot when I get home.I hope it works cause its embarassing to have your car grind everytime you shift into reverse XP.I was told that the clicking could be because I'm low on M/T oil....I think the levels ok but maybe its because I'm not using the honda oil.I'm gunna put in some of the special honda oil and see what happens.
I heard that M/T oil never needs to be changed,just filled when its low and A/T fluid needs to be changed after a certain mileage...is that true?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Civic manual transmission rebuild questions... (fryman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fryman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I heard that M/T oil never needs to be changed,just filled when its low and A/T fluid needs to be changed after a certain mileage...is that true?</TD></TR></TABLE>Not true, you should change it every 30k or so. If it's that old, you might only actually need 10w30. My '94 Teg uses 10w30 for tranny fluid, Helms calls for it.

If you're going to crack it open, you might as well replace all the bearings and seals. It's not real difficult, you need a couple special tools, but not overly difficult if you're mechanically inclined, take your time, read the rebuild instructions thoroughly, and use the proper equipment. Way easier than it seems, though.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic manual transmission rebuild questions... (hatchling37)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchling37 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not true, you should change it every 30k or so. If it's that old, you might only actually need 10w30. My '94 Teg uses 10w30 for tranny fluid, Helms calls for it.

If you're going to crack it open, you might as well replace all the bearings and seals. It's not real difficult, you need a couple special tools, but not overly difficult if you're mechanically inclined, take your time, read the rebuild instructions thoroughly, and use the proper equipment. Way easier than it seems, though.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yea I think I'm using 10w30 right now.The guy at the autoparts store said to use the Honda oil but thats probably because its more expensive lol.Do M/T or A/T have filters?If so how often should they be replaced?