Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic Maint suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Civic Maint suggestions

So, Ive been posting a lot lately, because I just recently in the last few weeks picked up a 99 civic for my cousin as a first car. I try to take care of my cars like an OCD person, so I really stay up on maint. My personal cars follow the suggestive maint schedule, and then some, however this new addition, I didnt get what was/and wasnt done to the car.
Picked it up off a lady, who just had a mechanic do what was needed....and thats that, so basically she took it in when something broke or didnt work....not exactly the schedule I like to be on.

So....bare with me, this is the list I have done. Car current has a tad over 160k.

Timing belt
water pump (I couldnt concretely verify if it had/hadnt been done, so....I did it) the belt that came off looked brand new though....still Ive seen 100k belts look good.
Oil, filter - installed new mag drain plug + crush washer
NGK plugs/plugwires (checked rotor/cap---looked to be in good condition didnt touch) (gets 32 miles to the gal and no prob starting during rain, so)
air filter
fuel filter,
pcv valve,
vavle cover gasket, oil pan gasket
thermostat, (Flush/fill rad)
had the a/c drained/oiled/recharged
new catalytic converter + exhaust manifold + new exhaust system
2 new front tires
brake pads (front and rear) ceramics +1 wheel cyclinder +1 new brake line+ flush/fill brake fluid
flush/fill p/s fluid
2x tranny drain + fill (awaiting the 3rd drain + fill when I get enough miles)
cleaned the throttle body
cleaned the battery terminals (ran battery load test)
changed all 3 accessory belts
wash/wax/de fog headlights

I think that completes the list- lucky for me, I used to work for a dealer, so alot of the work like the a/c recharge and tires were during shop night :D and didnt cost anything. The only real money I got into the car was the entire exhaust system...which cost about 400, and took 1500 off the price, so I made out pretty good on that one. The rest of all the parts combined is like 150 bucks and thats mainly because honda atf is so expensive....and Im pretty content on how the car is coming out.

I was thinking of changing the rad hoses because they are most likely original. The only other thing I could find on the car that looks like it should have attention is the bushings in the suspension. I was looking at the lower control arm bushings/the trailing arm bushings and strut mounts today and they dont look very good at all.-small tears, rusty, etc. However they arent making noise, so I guess I can wait. I want the car to be top notch though before we hand over the keys and / or before the nice weather goes away and I have to work on the damn thing and its snowing outside....no garage ftl.

Sorry that was long winded....be that as it may, does anyone have any suggestions of things I should look at? or should be done just because. Like I said, I get a good discount through my former employer, and am handy enough where I can do most everything myself.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Civic Maint suggestions

Hardrace makes a great hard rubber bushing kit for the car. price isn't bad either.

How are the Upper/lower ball joints looking? Tie rods?

Be very careful digging into the suspension on these cars. The bolts freeze, and will snap. if they break the weled nut inside the car, it's going to be pretty bad, pretty quick. You will be cutting holes in the car.

It's good to get under there a spray some good penetrating fluid in there a few weeks before you do anything. Spray some every day or 2, and keep driving it the way you do.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would suggest seafoaming the engine and also giving the iacv a good cleaning.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good call. I usually do that a day or two before...soak whatever Im going to be working on with pb blaster...and let it sit a day or two...before attacking it.
tie rods/ball joints appear to be ok, and no squeaks/rattles/bangs etc. The only thing I see under the car that doesnt look good is the bushings. The damn bushings look like they are OEM, and they all have surface tears/rust/general bad condition, however there isnt any suspension issues/noise with the vehicle. I was just thinking to do it, get it over with as its all been in use for 12 years now.

Thanks, Im going to check out hardrace right now.

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Hardrace makes a great hard rubber bushing kit for the car. price isn't bad either.

How are the Upper/lower ball joints looking? Tie rods?

Be very careful digging into the suspension on these cars. The bolts freeze, and will snap. if they break the weled nut inside the car, it's going to be pretty bad, pretty quick. You will be cutting holes in the car.

It's good to get under there a spray some good penetrating fluid in there a few weeks before you do anything. Spray some every day or 2, and keep driving it the way you do.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by virgineg6
i would suggest seafoaming the engine and also giving the iacv a good cleaning.
will do on the iacv.

Ive done some researching on seafoaming....some are in love with it, some say its a waste.

any general conclusion on the topic? Ive watched videos on youtube of people doing it, and huge huge white clouds of smoke pour out of the exhaust. Then I go to read that its mainly a waste of time, that its just the sea foam burning off creating the white smoke.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It's called Areokroil. Try and find that stuff, it's the **** when it comes to stuck bolts! It's a little spendy at about 20 bucks a can, but well worth it.

Sometimes the best thing for the car is to replace all of the old suspension components. People are usually surprised by the impact these things have.