Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

civic hatchback w/ type r turbo question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default civic hatchback w/ type r turbo question!!!

if i wanna turbo my type r engine all i have to change is the pistions and what pistions should i get and how much would i be able to boost?
Old 07-15-2008, 03:38 PM

Default Re: civic hatchback w/ type r turbo question!!! (arazeg6)

If all you are doing is swapping the pistons I wouldn't go over 8psi. Everone that I know with a turbo use weisco and get a block sleeve for support the cylinders.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by arazeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if i wanna turbo my type r engine all i have to change is the pistions and what pistions should i get and how much would i be able to boost?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you buy your car with the ITR swap in it already? Or did you get the swap done? If not, you should of done some homework prior to having an ITR motor.

Swapping pistons is not necessary, but if it eases your mind. Then go right ahaad, you have plenty of choices to go with. You want to go with low compression pistons, which vary as well. What are your power goals? And is it DD or track driven?

You could spend $350+ on piston/rod setup. Then you would need to hone the block too when putting new or different piston/rods. You can even boost your ITR motor being completely stock. Just depends on the maintenance on the motor, check for leaks and do a compression test. Then piece together a custom turbo kit or brand name kit, and get it tuned. Theres' plenty of people boosting a stock ITR either jdm or usdm. All depends on the maintenance, driver, and tune of the car on boost.

You can't determine how much boost to run. Unless you know what size turbo your going to use. What is your power goals? Is it DD or track driven?

You should seriously do your homework first before doing any mods.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: civic hatchback w/ type r turbo question!!! (150sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 150sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If all you are doing is swapping the pistons I wouldn't go over 8psi. Everone that I know with a turbo use weisco and get a block sleeve for support the cylinders.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can't justify not going over 8psi. If you don't know what the turbo setup is. Running 8psi on a 60-1 turbo and T25 turbo is completely different. So unless the OP know's what turbo he's using, which I doubt. He can pretty much boost any psi he wants. So be specific first on the turbo being used, then you can possibly estimate what kind of PSI to run. Which will then determine the amount of power being generated.

Sleeving the block is always a good thing, but also depends on how much power the OP wants. Plenty of people run stock sleeves and push over 300+ whp as a DD and a good tune. Unless the OP has high HP goals of 400+whp then he should reconsider getting new sleeves. Like Darton, Benson, etc.

Modified by VTECth1s at 4:58 PM 7/15/2008
Old 07-15-2008, 03:57 PM

Default Re: civic hatchback w/ type r turbo question!!! (VTECth1s)

im gonna use it on the streets im looking to get around 350 to 400 whp just tell me what i should put on the ITR motor for turbo what i need to change low compression pistons and the intake manifold and how much do i have to spend on the motor to make it good for turbo
Old 07-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by arazeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im gonna use it on the streets im looking to get around 350 to 400 whp just tell me what i should put on the ITR motor for turbo what i need to change low compression pistons and the intake manifold and how much do i have to spend on the motor to make it good for turbo </TD></TR></TABLE>

The stock block will have a hard time managing those numbers.

I'd recommend ripping the whole motor down and using forged internals w/ sleeves and I do believe the ITR's are open deck so a block guard too.

As long as you're swapping out all of the internals you'd most likely also be better off using lower comp pistons so you can use more boost without having to use octane boosters or race gas or the like.

EDIT:
For your pricing? Numbers vary a lot when it comes to how built your wanna go with your block.

You could probably spend as low as 2500 between the internals and the kit and as high as 5 or 6k. It's all in the parts you get, and if you have the block bored/sleeved or not.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:05 PM

Default Re: civic hatchback w/ type r turbo question!!! (Syndacate)

tell me what engine would u recommend me getting and spending not much as that and getting 350 to 400 whp turboing it
Old 07-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You want me to tell you? You might as well just give me your motor. Do your research, so many different options to go with for Piston/Rod setup, Sleeve setup, turbo setup. What's your budget? Be prepared to shell out quite a bit of money if you want to push that much power. More power you make, the more maintenance will be needed.

These, are few companies that makes pistons of your choice.
Ross, Arias, J E, Wiseco, C P. What compression rates do you want? You can choose from STD or OS pistons. You could about $800 on a piston/rod setup, then another ~$500-1,500 for machine and labor work to assemble it.

Intake manifold you can go with JG, or even with your stock one.

As for the turbo, you have more then a handful to choose from. Read up on the Forced Induction forum, you'll get ideas on what setup's there are. There's even a DIY on how to install a turbo kit, but I highly suggest YOU don't install it yourself.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any honda motor you put in will require lots of internal work (pistons, sleeving, block guard etc) to hold 350-400whp. Why do u want so much hp at age 19? Do u plan on taking to track or just want to beat the sti/evos out on the streets? If ur doing this to street race, U might want to do some more research before u wrap your car around a tree.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:15 PM

thanks alot if i wanna go more then 10 pounds for example on a gsr or a b16 would i would just need to change the pistons and cams cam gear bo0sting 15 to 20 puunds
Old 07-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by arazeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tell me what engine would u recommend me getting and spending not much as that and getting 350 to 400 whp turboing it </TD></TR></TABLE>

So you don't have an ITR motor? If thats the case, you can either go D-series boost or LS-boost. Which will be more inexpensive, and be boosted while completely stock. And even run at least ~300whp, LS-T is very popular amongst people. A complete LS motor is affordable and cheap to come by.

As low as ~$500-1100. And the extra $2-3K you can use to piece together a kit or buy a Greddy, Drag, Apexi, or Revhard kit. Get it tuned, and you'll definitely save more $$ then having to boost an ITR motor, along with upgrading the internals in an ITR motor, if that's what you want to do.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by arazeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tell me what engine would u recommend me getting and spending not much as that and getting 350 to 400 whp turboing it </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, so you don't even have a type r motor?
Old 07-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by arazeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks alot if i wanna go more then 10 pounds for example on a gsr or a b16 would i would just need to change the pistons and cams cam gear bo0sting 15 to 20 puunds</TD></TR></TABLE>

huh? Did even read what I've posted above. Why do you keep throwing PSI numbers around. You don't even know what TURBO setup to go with.

Find out first what turbo your going with, then you can figure out what PSI to run, which will affect the amount of power being made. And then you can figure out if you need to upgrade the internals.

Cams, cam gears? You shouldn't even speak of those yet at all.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:22 PM

Default Re: civic hatchback w/ type r turbo question!!! (ekhatchling)

just streets or track to once in a while , i made a bet with my manager he has a porsche carrera and a lambo his like what ever u do ull never keep up with me its just a honda so im ganne show him what honda is capable of dooing
Old 07-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by arazeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just streets or track to once in a while , i made a bet with my manager he has a porsche carrera and a lambo his like what ever u do ull never keep up with me its just a honda so im ganne show him what honda is capable of dooing</TD></TR></TABLE>

ROFL
Old 07-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by arazeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just streets or track to once in a while , i made a bet with my manager he has a porsche carrera and a lambo his like what ever u do ull never keep up with me its just a honda so im ganne show him what honda is capable of dooing</TD></TR></TABLE>

If your boss own's exotic cars, why would you complain about spending $$ on a turbo setup. Unless he's paying you minimum wage doing janitor work.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

certainly need to read a book or two.

Dont get innocent people hurt by not knowing what you're doing.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can understand your determination to wrong your mgr. But it takes a lot of money, time, effort to build a top notch civic. Not only do u need a badazz motor, u'll need suspension, tranny upgrade,sticky tires,etc. Assuming your race will be on a straight line, the porsche will take you off the line with his v6. But you can keep up once boost kicks in. But take a lesson from moby dick (Short summary, moby dick is about a captain that chases after this one whale and his obession ultimately dooms him and the people around him...his crew) So before you sink your life savings into this project, read up a bit. You can always beat him in the gas mileage department!

To what VTECth1s said about LS-T to get 300whp. That can get you 12-13s.

Modified by ekhatchling at 6:01 PM 7/15/2008
Old 07-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: civic hatchback w/ type r turbo question!!! (ekhatchling)

go get your block sleeved at ERL!! http://www.erlperformance.com they build some fast machines yo!
Old 07-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would look at all of the FAQs at the top of the forum.. read the turbo forum because i believe there is a FAQ about turbo too... from the sounds of it you have no idea what you are doing, you have no set plan, no budget so anything we tell you here probably means nothing to you...