Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

civic exhaust - need people opinion

Old 06-02-2004, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default civic exhaust - need people opinion

Hey everyone,

I am curious what others think about civic exhausts. My girlfriend has 2000 Civic HX and it looks like I need to replace the entire cat-back. It has completely rotted off at the muffler's entrance and at the resonator's entrance. We had to stop in the middle of interstate because resonator started dragging on the ground.

Now I am looking for a replacement. Most people agree that if you buy a regular exhaust, it will typically last 1-2 years and a lot of them say, manufacturer's parts last longer. But in this case 4 years? Honda muffler is twice more expensive than a muffler sold at advance auto parts. So now I have my doubts if I should even bother buying parts from a dealer.

Anyone know of a good place selling aftermarket "non-rice" exhausts, preferable stainless steel? So far the only other option I found was buying regular steel exhaust and covering with a heavy coat of rustoleum paint (advance auto manager's idea, not mine. but sounds pretty good)

Do you guys think it is worth painting a relatively cheap exhaust? Go to the dealer again? Or find aftermarket parts (I need help on this one)?

Thanks

-- Dennis
Old 06-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: civic exhaust - need people opinion (VILeninDM)

There are a ton of exhausts out there on many sites. Most of the big name brand ones are good. I have an Apexi but its pretty damn loud and sounds crappy till all pipes are warmed up. Greddy exhuasts sound pretty good and should last a long time.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:26 AM

I have a RS*R exhuast on my car and trust me, it's not rice. It's super quiet and the best part was that I got it before the "Drift" revolution hit the states. RS*R dissapeared from the US market for a while but they are making a comeback. I'd either go with them or go with an Apex. Either one will turn heads.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: civic exhaust - need people opinion (EkDave)

Magnaflow cat-back
Old 06-02-2004, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: civic exhaust - need people opinion (EkDave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EkDave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a RS*R exhuast on my car and trust me, it's not rice. It's super quiet and the best part was that I got it before the "Drift" revolution hit the states. RS*R dissapeared from the US market for a while but they are making a comeback. I'd either go with them or go with an Apex. Either one will turn heads. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The RS*R EX MAG model is the way to go. It's very quiet and not as loud as a lot of aftermarket exhausts. Plus, it looks real sleek so as not to attract the wrong crowd, such as police officers or common thieves. IMO this is the one to get.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm not too sure what you want a new muffler or a new exhaust system?
you said you want a non-rice exhaust system and if you want one that won't rust out its going to be stainless steel, which i guess you could consider as rice cause it's shiny piping and normally loud cause it comes in larger diameters, i dunno what rice exhaust is to you, but they also add performance cause of better flow.
But if you just want a muffler check out Borla they have a million mile warranty. Here's one i found that's not too rice but looks good, prolly sounds good, and won't rust out.

http://store.summitracing.com/...ffler

go to page 4 and look at BOR-40575 and BOR-40651
Old 06-02-2004, 10:05 AM
jok

Default Re: civic exhaust - need people opinion (CivicVX94)

I'm just building my own exhaust system with a 2.5 diameter piping. I found it is much cheaper. Plus You get to add and do whatever you want to it.
Plus I don't have to smog my 94 civic anyways, so..
Old 06-02-2004, 10:09 AM

Default Re: civic exhaust - need people opinion (joky)

I assume you're going to just get crush bent piping. If that's the case you're probably not going to improve much if any on performance. Getting mandrel bent pipeing will. But that cost money. And for that price you might as well go buy a complete exhaust system.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:25 AM

Default Re: civic exhaust - need people opinion (HyBriDcxR)

Thanks for the replies. I didn't mean to offend anyone, by "non-rice" Basically, this is not for my car (otherwise I would be looking for performance, sound, looks) but for my girlfriend. She doesn't care about these things. If she had 30hp, she would not even notice the difference.

I don't want to add performance, and I do not want it to be loud or look like a tin can. I was thinking of stainless steel not because it is shiny, but because it wouldn't rut away as quickly. I had one of these as OEM stock on 98 GrandAm. Basically, I am looking for OEM replacement that will last a while.

The exhaust he had has rutted in two separate places, once at the muffler and again at the resonator. That's the entire catback at this point. Dealer gave me $389 (charging $42 for the 4 bolts), so I want to explore my options buying it somewhere else.

Thanks guys
Old 06-02-2004, 11:34 AM
a/k/a Jomo

Why not buy the exhaust from your dealer? I know you pay more, but there's a reason. If you buy a replacement Honda exhaust and have it installed at a dealer it comes with a LIFETIME GUARANTEE!!!
Old 06-02-2004, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to H-T.
Please READ the forum Rules and Guidelines.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=797969
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. Please do a search on your question BEFORE you post a topic.

Please try searching numerous key words under "recent" and "archived" topics in this forum and in the Hybrid Forum, or any other forum that applies to your topic at hand.

This forum is being ruined by too many of the same tired "B16A vs. B18C1?" topics and "Should I boost my SOHC or Get a Swap?" type topics. We understand that you want guidance, but rather than post an open topic, why not o some searching and find members here that have had successful builds/swaps and carry on an IM conversation with him or her?

We do care about what you want to do, but when we have literally 10 open topics about the exact same thing it gets highly annoying. This MB is here for ALL of us, not just one person who thinks we should all cater to him or her by posting in his or her topic while he or she NEVER performs searches and doesn't even browse the topics in the first few pages of the forum.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Official Exhaust thread.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=856670

you have a WIDE variety of great exhausts.
OEM, APEX'i, Trust/GReddy, RS*R, custom exhaust, magnaflow, etc...

Looking to an exhaust? try the Classifieds forum.
https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum?id=10
since you're a Trial User, you must wait 20 days until you can post in there.

by the way, Google is also your friend.
http://www.google.com