Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic Ex issue!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Civic Ex issue!

Seen a couple threads on here with similar issues as mine, but not exactly. I have a 1996 Civic I picked up recently. It had a really bad miss once I finally got it started. I purchased it anyway thinking it needed either a headgasket (all though it never overheated on me).... or piston rings. Got it home and tore it down. No mixture of antifreeze and oil together anywhere. But I noticed cyl 4 piston rings to appear collapsed. Installed new 50 over rings (motor has been bored 50 over) on all 4 pistons with proper positioning of all the gaps. Put on a new headgasket, water pump... and a timing belt with tensioner.Once back together, it fired right up. But the miss was not gone. It had gotten better... but was there. Right away, I took it out to break in the new rings PROPERLY. Half way up the RPMs... It began missing extremely bad again. I didn't even think it would make it home. It stalled 3 times backing it up my driveway! The next day.... same thing. When first started... miss is there, but small. Once it reaches normal temp.... it misses pretty bad.. CEL light comes on after a while. P1300 for random misfire. Along with P0301 and P0303. I have cleared it MANY times. Sometimes its even DIFFERENT cylinders that are misfiring. A couple times it was cyl-1 and cyl-4 . I don't get it. I put on an eBay distributor... everything got worse. (OF COURSE RIGHT!). After running for a minute... it shut off and wouldn't start again for a while. I put the old distributor back on and tightened a loose negative battery cable I found... and then it would at least start and stay running.. .. but still had a bad miss. I took the Vtec cylanoid off tonight to check the screen.... SPOTLESS! Did an oil change tonight. Left it a hair under full mark... still misses bad.

Could slightly worn cam lobes do this? Might need to pick up a cam and set the valve lash. I got a new fuel pump on the way for it as well.

Any clues??
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2017, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Civic Ex issue!

Never believe this... I had 3 bad plug wires causing most of the issue. The new distributor i put on, was causing the dying engine, and the "hard to start back up" problem!!!! Car runs AWESOME now. Now I can sell a NICE ride to someone pretty cheap when it's done!! I get em, fix em, and sell em.... but only for what I have in them... no more. I'll have to post pics when it's done. Gonna sell for around $1600 to $1800