Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

from civic ex to civic si

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default from civic ex to civic si

i got a 97 honda civic ex and i want to drop a honda civic si engine into the car, since the si engine is a D16, i would not have to change the axels, tranny, wiring harness, and ecu etc. right, please help.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:15 AM

Default Re: from civic ex to civic si (sshonda2004)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sshonda2004 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got a 97 honda civic ex and i want to drop a honda civic si engine into the car, since the si engine is a D16, i would not have to change the axels, tranny, wiring harness, and ecu etc. right, please help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, you have to change axels, tranny and ECU for atleast .
Old 08-02-2005, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sshonda2004 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got a 97 honda civic ex and i want to drop a honda civic si engine into the car, since the si engine is a D16, i would not have to change the axels, tranny, wiring harness, and ecu etc. right, please help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

92-95 Si motor - just put the motor in and wire up the vtec components.

99-00 Si motor - everything changes over.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: from civic ex to civic si (nub.96ek)

Are you planning on using a 92-95si motor (this is a D16Z6)

If so WHY?

the 97 ex (d16y8) motor has 1 or 2 more horse power, is a more current as far as OBD (and probably has less miles on it)
I would not recommend this swap. You would also have to do an OBD conversion

If you are looking at swapping in a B16 from a 99+ Si then I would understand that, you'd pick up a bunch of horsepower.
This would probably be a much easier swap (why not just for for a B18C though?)
Old 08-02-2005, 09:23 AM

lol, an SI is a B16, by the way. It s a plug and play thing! Though i suggest changing the axles and motor mounts to either B16 parts or aftermarket parts. It's a must, to convert everything over, remember your swapping a DOHC into a SOHC! think about it! You dont want to regret it later on down the road, if you're gonna do it do it right!
Old 08-02-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: from civic ex to civic si (*****est_raver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by *****est_raver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lol, an SI is a B16, by the way. It s a plug and play thing! Though i suggest changing the axles and motor mounts to either B16 parts or aftermarket parts. It's a must, to convert everything over, remember your swapping a DOHC into a SOHC! think about it! You dont want to regret it later on down the road, if you're gonna do it do it right! </TD></TR></TABLE>

NOTHING about that makes sense. If your going to offer advice at least know what you're talking about.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: from civic ex to civic si (.:TNN:RumbleN:.)

what so hard to understand he is just telling him if he is going to do the swap he should use the proper parts either OEM or Aftermarket one if not he might end up with more problems. Just like he said if you going to do something do it right the first time or don't do it at all.

Dave
Old 08-02-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: from civic ex to civic si (93SiVtec677)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by *****est_raver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lol, an SI is a B16, by the way. It s a plug and play thing! Though i suggest changing the axles and motor mounts to either B16 parts or aftermarket parts. It's a must, to convert everything over, remember your swapping a DOHC into a SOHC! think about it! You dont want to regret it later on down the road, if you're gonna do it do it right! </TD></TR></TABLE>

First, in the initial post, it is made clear the the engine in question is the D16Z6 out of a 92-95 Civic SI. So the "lol, an SI is a B16, by the way" comment is unnecessary, and just shows a general lack of knowledge and inability to pay attention.

Second, "Its a plug and play thing!" . Yeah ok. I know B series swaps are quite common, but it's far from "Plug and Play".

He then goes on to "Suggest" replacing the motor mounts and axles; But then, says it's "a must to convert everything over". So which is it, a suggestion, or a necessity?

I would go on, but I think I've made my point. I dont mean to be out of line or rude, but after reading less than satisfactory (in my opinion) posts all day I finally let loose on this one.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:17 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .:TNN:RumbleN:. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

First, in the initial post, it is made clear the the engine in question is the D16Z6 out of a 92-95 Civic SI. So the "lol, an SI is a B16, by the way" comment is unnecessary, and just shows a general lack of knowledge and inability to pay attention.

Second, "Its a plug and play thing!" . Yeah ok. I know B series swaps are quite common, but it's far from "Plug and Play".

He then goes on to "Suggest" replacing the motor mounts and axles; But then, says it's "a must to convert everything over". So which is it, a suggestion, or a necessity?

I would go on, but I think I've made my point. I dont mean to be out of line or rude, but after reading less than satisfactory (in my opinion) posts all day I finally let loose on this one. </TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93SiVtec677 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what so hard to understand he is just telling him if he is going to do the swap he should use the proper parts either OEM or Aftermarket one if not he might end up with more problems. Just like he said if you going to do something do it right the first time or don't do it at all.

Dave </TD></TR></TABLE>

not trying to be a jerk but how do you knwo for sure he wants a 92-95 si motor. He could have easily made a typ and put D16 instead of B16.

but to the original poster, which motor are you lookign to swap? if a 92-95 why? 2 hp less then a ex.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: from civic ex to civic si (Crazydave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crazydave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you planning on using a 92-95si motor (this is a D16Z6)

If so WHY?

the 97 ex (d16y8) motor has 1 or 2 more horse power, is a more current as far as OBD (and probably has less miles on it)
I would not recommend this swap. You would also have to do an OBD conversion

If you are looking at swapping in a B16 from a 99+ Si then I would understand that, you'd pick up a bunch of horsepower.
This would probably be a much easier swap (why not just for for a B18C though?)
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-03-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: from civic ex to civic si (Punker1234)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Punker1234 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not trying to be a jerk but how do you knwo for sure he wants a 92-95 si motor. He could have easily made a typ and put D16 instead of B16.

but to the original poster, which motor are you lookign to swap? if a 92-95 why? 2 hp less then a ex. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, "B" is three keys over and one key down from "D", kinda hard to accidentally hit...... Possible, but unlikely.

Also, he is stating that it would be a drop in, not having to change axles etc...... So obviously he is talking about a D series engine.

Im only making my assumptions by the information provided. He said D, and he basically said "drop in".
Old 08-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would not replace a d16y8 with a d16z6