Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CIVIC EK3 won't engage the GEAR

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 CIVIC EK3 won't engage the GEAR

hi all.
that's my first post here, i hope some one can help me with this.

i own a civic 97 ek3 MT.
yesterday i was driving around to see the doctor, i parked the car and left it for an our. when i got back i engaged reverse, turned right and got out from the parking lot, but when i engaged 1st gear and released the clutch the car din't move forward, just hearing a brutal sound like a big drill in the wall(grrrrr, grr grr grr grr), hey wait, engage reverse, same thing the noise and the car didn't move.
selected 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and even when i release the clutch in neutral position the sound comes.
i jacked the car to see if there were something that i could see, nothing there, the sound was like it was inside of the gear box.

i had to call my brother to tow me home(15KM) so we could call a mechanic.

any1 ever faced something like this? is there any test i can make to see what's wrong?
Old 07-16-2013, 06:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: CIVIC EK3 won't engage the GEAR

Have you checked to make sure the axles are fully and properly seated? How hard did you drive the car before pulling into the doctor's? How hard do you drive the car regularly?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, ive checked. that's the first thing i did. to check if the axles as loose or not... and they look tightened into the gear box(ive seen them the moment you release them to remove).
i drive usually to 2500rpm(no rush), only in a very extreme situation(hills) i go to 3000rpm. the moment i went to the doc, i was driving 1st, 2nd, 3rd, gear(corner to corner), no load we were 3 people.
but let me tell you it really sound like those teethes that hold the inner cv-joint and the inner cv joint teethes are jumping.
when i get home today ill press the inner cv-joint in to make sure its not what you saying(you know hopping a miracle will happen)
Old 07-16-2013, 07:11 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I'm assuming your car has a B16 variant under the hood? Next logical step would be to pull the axles, inspect the axles, mid-shaft, and differential. Also remove the flywheel inspection plate and see if there are any metal fragments.

Can you come completely off the clutch without stalling the car? If you don't know already, don't experiment - I don't want to see you trying it and making problems worse.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

actually i even take the left foot completely off the clutch and nothing happens(only the drill sound) its like if the car was completely jacked and the wheels are running free, you don't even feel the nothing on the idle like you normally do when you release the clutch with the brake depressed.
the axle i will inspect my self, but other tests will be given to a Professional.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes its d15b engine(japanese)...
Old 07-18-2013, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so last night i jacked the car once again for more inspection.
i held the right(driver, gbox side... as its japanese) and i felt it a bit loosen, i tried to move it up and down, and guess what? the axle just come out the outter cv joint...
i removed the outter cv boot and confirmed, its out, aparently the ring that prevents the axle from comming out the cv joint is shot and some how it came out.
now ill will reinstall the CV joint replacing the ring, but im planning to change the complete axle(from outter to inner cv joint).....

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Have you checked to make sure the axles are fully and properly seated?
thanx for that
Old 07-18-2013, 03:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Yep. Always the first step with a grinding noise and no movement. Glad you got it sorted