Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic EJ9 d14z2 track car

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 01:10 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic EJ9 d14z2 track car

new to the forums. currently own a 00 ej9 civic stock car, used only for oval racing, having a problem with the rev limiter, running 13 inch wheels and rev limiter coming in halfway up the straight. any recommendations how to adjust this, have obd1 to obd2b adaptor here, power gain recommendations would also be of great help, thanks
Old 07-24-2016, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Civic EJ9 d14z2 track car

Would help to know what management you're running. Crome? Ectune? Hondata?
Old 07-26-2016, 09:39 AM
Trial User

running a standard ej9 ecu, phx im almost sure, i know they cant be mapped or chipped but i have a p30 from a del sol here, was considering conversion to a d16z6, have a full engine waiting to be collected, just a matter of what way the wiring will work? iv heard its only the distributor, injector and iacv plugs that have to be changed?
Old 07-26-2016, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So, stock rev limiter or something aftermarket then? If it's stock, that's definitely odd, stock rev limiter should never come on until redline unless you're throwing a code or limp moded.

Not familiar with any d14, if it's obd2 then yes, you will have to change those things. Easiest would be going to obd1, then you can tune easy. Obd1 and 2 engines in these cars are super similar. You could use obd2 sensors on the z6 with a rywire harness in the cabin. Or replace harness with obd1 but that's a b*tch.

If you need a basemap lmk
Old 07-26-2016, 10:19 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by forbiddenera
So, stock rev limiter or something aftermarket then? If it's stock, that's definitely odd, stock rev limiter should never come on until redline unless you're throwing a code or limp moded.

Not familiar with any d14, if it's obd2 then yes, you will have to change those things. Easiest would be going to obd1, then you can tune easy. Obd1 and 2 engines in these cars are super similar. You could use obd2 sensors on the z6 with a rywire harness in the cabin. Or replace harness with obd1 but that's a b*tch.

If you need a basemap lmk
car is hitting rev limiter at 7200, car is short geared for the track, no pronlem with codes whatsoever, was considering trying to run a p30 and get it chipped and mapped for the 1400 and raise rev limiter
Old 07-27-2016, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to adjust it, yes you will need a chipped obd1 ecu.

Or an aftermarket rev limiter, but I recommend a chipped ECU as you can adjust much much more even with crome free. I can also offer ectune basemaps and remote tuning, but you'll need a laptop, wideband and data logging cable, preferably a chip burner or emulator too BUT if you have an experienced local tuner that is a much better option, I can only gather so much from datalogs especially ones I'm not creating - I doubt I'd be able to dial it in 100%, depends on your mods tho, you said stock so.. I don't even think I've ever seen a stock basemap for a d14.

Considering you're stock though, I don't know how good of an idea it is to raise your limiter, you'll already be past peak power, if you're only halfway up the straight it seems to me that you'd be better off shifting, if you're at redline once you up shift you should be pretty close to peak power/torque in the next gear, definitely more power than you'll be getting at the limiter.

Again I've never seen a d14 period, we don't have them in my country, d15 is the smallest afaik. Is it vtec?

For power gains, I can recommend lots of different ideas but I don't know if you're stock because of regulations or what. If you're in an unlimited class, I'd say swap the d out and get a b16 or b18, better bang for the buck.

If you have to keep the motor, you could boost it. Turbo is (can be, relatively) cheap and lots of power. If you can't boost, do intake, header, exhaust, head work (porting, larger valves), a camshaft. If you get the head ready to support higher rpm, you may be able to spin it faster safely but I don't even know the rod/stroke ratio for that motor or anything else, the bottom end may have to be worked on to in order to support higher rpm.

You could consider changing your gearing as well, you say it's short geared for the track but are essentially complaining your gears are too short. Again it seems the best solution to what you described is shifting up, unless you're hitting the limiter in 5th gear, which I somehow doubt..?

If you get it chipped obd1 I can burn and ship you an ectune basemap chip (assuming you or me can find one for a d14z2) with options for custom rev limiter, launch control, full throttle shift (requires vx clutch switch wired in), disable closed loop (you said it's a track car), overheat protection, lean protection (requires wideband and ecu modded for 0-5v on d14), disable a/c, custom vtec rpm, dual maps (wire in a switch and have a map for say 87 octane and 94 octane), valet / security mode (a custom feature I haven't finished testing)

I can also do crome gold, hondata or neptune (can't do chips for neptune/hondata, you'll need the demon or s300 hardware) but I highly recommend ectune - closest you can get to neptune/hondata without custom hardware (and infact requires an emulator like demon or ostrich for anyone who isn't a tuner, only tuners can burn chips, neptune tuners can too AFAIK but I don't have a neptune tuner license, hondata now-days REQUIRES the hardware, no chips).

Anyway, I suggest you do some research on here and some other sites, pretty much everything you want to know will be here. Pgm fi also has lots of good info about ecus and chipping but can be a bit technical.