Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic d16 clear timing cover installed

Old 10-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Civic d16 clear timing cover installed

Since I only found two threads on google with only two pictures of the product installed I thought I would post pictures of mine. With my Hx having 300k miles I needed to check the belt anyways so for $20 shipped I wanted this extra piece of mind

I stopped at autozone and picked up a fresh valve cover gasket, I should also suggest that if your car has over 200k I highly suggest getting new valve cover bolts. Mine were extremely weak and one broke at not even hand tight

[/QUOTE]

so as i alluded everything wasn't as easy as planned. The cover fitment was decent but it was much tighter than my factory 300k miles cover. My factory cover had the tab broken off on the back side of the timing cover and appeared to have forced the guides on the rear cover assembly. I needed to make the grooves a little wider on the clear cover to fit it back onto the rest of the rear cover

I also broke a valve cover bolt off in the head however it came out extremely easily thank god

Pretty clean for 300k miles

Only a little bit of build up.

Timing belt is a fresh Kevlar. Good to see the previous owner was honest about maintenance

Grrrrrr

All wrapped up. Pleased with the results, only $20 shipped for the clear timing cover

Overall I do highly recommend the cover for the extra piece of mind and I also think it will add value when it comes time to sell so the next owner can inspect the belt immediately. It has been a week and the cover has remained clean and clear
Old 10-02-2014, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Re: Civic d16 clear timing cover installed

Originally Posted by TomCat39
One word of caution. I believe the clear plastic has different characteristics over the standard belt cover plastic.

I noticed with my clear distributor cap, the plastic hardened much faster than the regular black plastic of an OEM cap.

The same might be true with your belt cover. Check it in 6 months and inspect it for cracks, yellowing etc. The heat in the engine compartment takes a slow toll on plastics. I believe the plastics Honda chose were for longevity over visibility or vanity.
Thanks for the tip sir. The clear unit was of the same thickness but I believe you are correct about the polymers used in the factory piece.

I am hoping since everything connected to the cover is already plastic (with the exception of the rear mounting bolt and tab) that it should last a good while.

I have a friend who has a real aem? I think, clear timing cover on his twin turbo 300zx and it has held up fine for over 5 years now and still looks new
Old 10-02-2014, 06:36 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Civic d16 clear timing cover installed

Where'd you get it? I sorta want one