Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic D15B 3 stage Vtec hesitant on low rpm.Help..

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Civic D15B 3 stage Vtec hesitant on low rpm.Help..

what is written on the bottle,how do we called that?I doubt that in my country we may not have this kind of product.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn dude I have the same exact problem, like when I'm stopped on a hill I have to rev it up to 3000 so it can move its feels like if the intake was clogged with something I had a chipped ECU after I changed that to a stock P28 it ran a little better but the same **** I have the same motor I bought the car like that I need to check things but a friend that's a mechanic told me it can be the fuel filter of a clogged catalytic converter, the car runs really strong on straightaways it has the vtec connected so it will open once not twice so it opens at 5 or 4800 rpms, I haven't change the fuel filter or the catalytic converter yet I'm on vacation overseas now, I'm thinking if it could be the engine because it's the same b15b 3 stage vtec it makes me think I don't want to be like you that changes every single part and still the same **** I love the little B15b but if I change the filter and put a hi blow cat and the problem still there I'm doing a swap I don't want headaches if you fix the problem let me know it might be the same problem as mine lol good luck I hope you find the problem and if I find it first I'll let you know but I won't be back until august 15.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its runs same as yours,specially on hills....i'll change spark plugs and will let you know,as its simplest things i have not changed since i got the car....and if it still continues i'll borrow a distributor from a friend and see how it goes....
Old 07-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ekcivic2
what is written on the bottle,how do we called that?I doubt that in my country we may not have this kind of product.
The product is called Seafoam. It is a sort fuel injection cleaner. Search the forum for it. There's lots of Seafoam uses in forum threads.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did the same checked the spark plugs but they were good I checked with a volt meter it was strange because with the car on I connected it to the battery and it red 12.65 or something like that so I thought it was the alternator but when I connected the red cable from the volt meter to the positive side of the battery and the black to the body of the car it red the same 12.65 and when I connected the black one to the engine by the valve cover it red 14 something it's supposed to read 14 when you connected to the battery when the car is on so I guess I have to check that too, the seafoam thing sounds good I try like 2 bottles of injector cleaner but same **** no results, its like a process of elimination ****.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Goodluck guys. Day 2 after Seafoam. Still no hesitation. My guess is that the valves had alot of carbon build up. But you never know. So far so good. I was really thinking ignition coil before the seafoam improved the way it runs.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW, AC was on all day with no hesitation. Really gotta get an EX tranny. Hate those crappy gear ratios in the DX 5 speed.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gotti452
The product is called Seafoam. It is a sort fuel injection cleaner. Search the forum for it. There's lots of Seafoam uses in forum threads.
oh.i already tried that,but no luck...
Old 07-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I remember that on mine if I'm stepping on it in first gear to 7500 rpms and shift to second gear is like I was starting on a long *** gear it feels like if I was shifting from first gear to third I don't know if it has to do with the gear ratio or the stupid lost of power some where lol.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well kid i have the same engine ur talking about but mines dont do that if u dont mind by me asking how did u wire up the second vtec solenoid?
Old 07-30-2011, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The engine came stock in the car.i didn't swap the engine.so i didn't touch wiring...

I've replaced the ignition coil in the morining.but the lag remain present.

Anyone ever went through this kind of problem?i need help....

Last edited by ekcivic2; 07-30-2011 at 01:48 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i need ideas....
Old 08-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the same problem too.. but mine is swapped from d13b to d15b 3 stage VTEC using everything from the D15b including interior wiring and p2j ECU. When my ac is on, the car hardly can accelerate like something is pulling it from behind. after it passed 3k rpm, i went strong again.... eventho without ac on, the problem still thr jus slightly better....i havent do anything from what u guys have suggested, I wan to know the exact problem first...
Old 08-05-2011, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Helo, well currently my car is in the garage for a complete paint job,but as soon as i get the car i'll focus with that weird acceleration....its very annoying to drive like that...if you have been able to solve this issue please let me know...thanks...
Old 08-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no problem.. looking forward for your good news too...
Old 08-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

helo,well to come back of my problem,yesterday i got a good dizzy from a friend,unfortunately there is no improvement yet.The hesitation/lag is still present which i believe is not normal...the lag gets worse when i'm in a traffic/hot weather,the idle drops to 100-200 rpm for a while and then it rises to 800rpm then again drops...its very annoying.but at high rev the engine runs great...now i don't know what i should look for to solve this issue.help please....
Old 08-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

helo,well to come back of my problem,yesterday i got a good dizzy from a friend,unfortunately there is no improvement yet.The hesitation/lag is still present which i believe is not normal...the lag gets worse when i'm in a traffic/hot weather,the idle drops to 100-200 rpm for a while and then it rises to 800rpm then again drops...its very annoying.but at high rev the engine runs great...now i don't know what i should look for to solve this issue.help please....
Disconnect the vtec on the other stages of vtec, see how well the car drives. Have you adjusted the valve lash on this valve head?

Only other thing I can suggest is check/inspect all vacuum hoses to make sure you don't have a vacuum leak.

Did you replace the PCV valve yet? Maybe you could post a high resolution picture of your engine bay. Could also check for air in your coolant.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:44 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you running the correct ECU? The P2J?
Old 08-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya i'm running the stock ecu.Its a Vi.
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fleabag
Disconnect the vtec on the other stages of vtec, see how well the car drives. Have you adjusted the valve lash on this valve head?

Only other thing I can suggest is check/inspect all vacuum hoses to make sure you don't have a vacuum leak.

Did you replace the PCV valve yet? Maybe you could post a high resolution picture of your engine bay. Could also check for air in your coolant.
Valve adjustment has just been done recently.i confirm there is no vacuum leak.so how will i remove air from the radiator?
Old 08-29-2011, 09:23 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Valve adjustment has just been done recently.i confirm there is no vacuum leak.so how will i remove air from the radiator?
Bleed it from the system. There's info in the FAQs.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This engine doesn't not have the screw to remove air like older versions.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Greetings!
I too have this engine and am running OBD I with a chipped p28.

I had this problem when the cam timing was wrong (1st problem)
I had this problem when the ignition timing was wrong (2nd problem)
I had this problem when I had the 2 vtec wires backwards (3rd problem)

Now since none of these qualify for you I will make the best internet diagnosis I can.....its your EGR valve. These engines no doubt run rich in 12v mode, I will guess even with the OEM ecu. I guess this because they were never released here in America for emissions reasons.

Anyway, EGR's are only fluctuating from Idle to about 3000rpm. My suggestion? Plug the vaccuum hose leading to the EGR, ignore the new check engine light you have now and take it for a spin.

If I am right....is there anyway I could buy the correct 96-98 p2j manual ECU from your area for my manual D15B?....If I am wrong, I will continue to suffer, lol.

Good luck!

I have no EGR now because I swapped a D16z6 (obd i d16 vtec) intake manifold onto my car.

Last edited by cxtomato; 08-30-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: I really need a p2j manual ecu
Old 09-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump to get a resolution?
Old 09-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hi dr...for the cam timing,it has been checked twice so i am confident its line up correctly as wel as for the ignition timing which is set at 16 degree.am sure none of these 3 possible causes can solve my problem....as for the egr,when i disconnect the vacuum hose at idle ,nothing changes....but have never driven the car with both the plug and hose disconnected.i'll try it tomorrow will let you know.

wel in my little island we do not have enough parts for this engine,its very rare in our market...you can easily get the ecu from malaysia or singapore.don't forget to mention type(1 wire or 4 wires) of o2 sensor you are using and iacv plug(2 pins or 3 pins) when ordering.

anyway thanks for your response...

Quick Reply: Civic D15B 3 stage Vtec hesitant on low rpm.Help..