Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic Coupe Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 08:53 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Civic Coupe Project *Edit as of 8/19/05*

Comments and concerns are welcome..*New updates on Page 2* as of 2/29/08

I've been in the Honda world for a number of years now when it comes to forced induction (Turbo Boost specifically as many of you who know me are well-aware), but have decided to embark on a nice and relaxed N/A approach to my wife's '00 Civic.

Mission: To create a viable power option w/ more torque, and hp without breaking the bank, and keeping ALL A/C and P/S options. No forced induction of any kind will be used. Car must remain TOTALLY streetable and driveable year round. There will be no drag racing, just the occasional circuit course on weekends (novice).

Management must be simple, and NO GUAGES or monitors are to be seen in cockpit. Regular organic or synthetic blend oil can be used.

Well, here's the break down

'00 Civic SI

The Wife

A better view of the wife AFTER the oil change

Parts already purchased Through a great deal!!!

-B18C1 Empty Block & LS Crank
-Crower H beam Econo rods
-11.5:1 Endyn Pistons w/ Rings and Locks
-TODA SPEC B CAMS w/ Valve Train and retainers

Parts Already Installed
-Thermal 2.25" SS exhaust, w/ Test Pipe
-Exedy 8950 Clutch
-Toda Flywheel
-Edelbrock short shifter (her favorite mod so far)

Here's the Plan

-JDM 4-1 Header ceramic coated
-TODA RACING High Tension belt (as part of maintanence)
-New water pump (again, General maintanence)
-Type R Oil Pump (maintanence, so why not?)
-Type R Valvetrain
-Quaife LSD

Power FC EK9 This was a much better option than the E-manage for the price. I have a Power Excel facility 40 minutes from me. It's also plug and play for the Coupe. Thanks to yehiknowrite. *Purchased*

330cc Injectors

ARP Main and Head Studs *Already purchased*

Buddy Club Cam gears

*Since I'm using the Type R cams myself, I'll probably get these: Buddy Club Spec III+. *

From my experience with them on some N/A setups, they seem just fine. Just a little agressive, but not too much. Big power is not the goal

J's Racing Engine torque dampener

I think this is a different approach to a normal traditon in Honda performance. Comments?

Modified by TheShodan at 7:44 PM 8/23/2005

Modified by TheShodan at 7:44 PM 8/23/2005

Modified by TheShodan at 7:47 PM 8/23/2005

Modified by TheShodan at 7:58 PM 8/23/2005

Modified by TheShodan at 11:59 PM 8/26/2005

Modified by TheShodan at 11:36 AM 3/1/2008

Modified by TheShodan at 7:10 PM 3/1/2008

Modified by TheShodan at 7:10 PM 3/1/2008
Old 03-16-2005, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Civic Coupe Project (TheShodan)

sounds like its gonna be nice
Old 03-16-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Civic Coupe Project (athoughts)

that sounds aewsome
Old 03-16-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Civic Coupe Project (jasb16A2aSIR2)

sweet setup, best of luck, and you are in the right direction for a productice n/a setup
Old 03-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Civic Coupe Project (Chillin94hatch)

Damn thats going in your wifes car? And shes ok with it? Thats one bad *** wife

Thats a very good mild set up, not to extreme and very simple. Although im not sure about using the E-manage, i dont hear to many good things about it. Have you thought about maybe using Uberdata? Or a simple VAFC hack to fine tune the mugen chip?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Coupe Project (Luserkid)

sounds like a nice setup!
Old 03-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Civic Coupe Project (deeboi)

Looks good
Keep us updated with more pics during assembly and install.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:19 PM

I like your goal, my car is rough and suxs for daily driving. Looks good more pics
Old 03-17-2005, 05:05 AM

sounds like a good start but as you go along there is always some thing more to be done - some thing always to be reworked - etc just have fun- and be ready for some let down- and in the end a little sucess!
Old 03-17-2005, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Civic Coupe Project (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn thats going in your wifes car? And shes ok with it? Thats one bad *** wife

Thats a very good mild set up, not to extreme and very simple. Although im not sure about using the E-manage, i dont hear to many good things about it. Have you thought about maybe using Uberdata? Or a simple VAFC hack to fine tune the mugen chip? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I had thought about using a V-AFCII for the setup, but she wants NO monitors of any kind inside of the car. It would address the rich fuel issues we would experience, but would do nothing for the timing other than the gears, and E-manage is VERY flexible when it comes to an N/A application. I've used E-manage on several occasions on some boost setups I've help create.

As for uberdata, my schedule doesn't allow me to have time to worry about chips and ****, buying the right REBURNABLE chip, taking the ECU apart w/ a spiderweb of cables, and going from there. (I'm Just too old to go through that ****.) I've done that for years, and don't feel like doing that any more, which makes e-manage a nice "Take It Easy " approach to this project. I still may consider Neptune, but already have the e-manage at my disposal.

Of course I'm still doing the major maintanence to the car to make sure it is in good mechanical condition (New fuel filter, better plugs, wires, grounding, etc)

Modified by TheShodan at 2:54 PM 3/17/2005
Old 08-23-2005, 11:09 AM

Bump for more input, please..
Old 08-23-2005, 11:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Civic Coupe Project *Edit as of 8/19/05* (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Power FC EK9 This was a much better option than the E-manage for the price. I have a Power Excel facility 40 minutes from me. It's also plug and play for the Coupe. Thanks to yehiknowrite. *Purchased*

[]</TD></TR></TABLE>

NO IT IS NOT A PLUG AND PLAY INTO A 2000 SI....you will need an obd2b to obd2a conversion harness....

and your INJECTORS.....TOO BIG.....

310's is max if that....infact you'd be fine on stock injectors....you are only running stock cams
Old 08-23-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Civic Coupe Project *Edit as of 8/19/05* (chad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

NO IT IS NOT A PLUG AND PLAY INTO A 2000 SI....you will need an obd2b to obd2a conversion harness....

and your INJECTORS.....TOO BIG.....

310's is max if that....infact you'd be fine on stock injectors....you are only running stock cams</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks. I already had the harness adapter. it just pluged right in and started on the original SI motor. We're not doing the whole swap untill the new motor is fully assembled. Godspeed is doing a temp tune until everything is in order for the big swap. The big swap will use the Buddy Club cams I had specified above.

Modified by TheShodan at 1:17 AM 8/24/2005
Old 08-07-2006, 06:58 PM

I know this was a LONG ago update, but I finally got most of the wife's project is almost complete. There are a few changes, (mainly because she wanted them) but it's coming along quite well.

Older setup.

Had a test pipe, Thermal Exhaust system, and Exedy 08950 clutch..

Took my older Slipstreams from my other Car and threw them on here.

Her old stock suspension was shot, so I moved over the TEIN Flex over to this car, while I got a set of RAs.

New Greddy Evo 2 Stainless exhaust system with a Carsound Catalytic converter (yes, most of the test pipes available sound like complete crap.)King Motorsports supplied all the parts needed.. (Thanks to Clayton). Also, the clutch finally died, so we used a Clutchmaster FX300 Carbon Kevlar Clutch. WONDERFUL! Even she loves the feel of the clutch.

My favorite part. TOP FUEL Intake..

Changed to a SPOON Header that was ceramic coated

Here's the dyno with the BONE stock internal motor with Power FC... Dyno'ing the new stuff soon.

Now we went with a full TODA head package including Spec B cams, gears, valvetrain, Nitrite treated valves. Using a Toda Headgasket, with 88-91 Celica All-Track 430cc injectors tuned by Yoshio of Japanese Automotive in Ontario

The bottom end is still in the works, so we'll see soon... It'll consist of LS Crank, recon-rods with ARP rod bolts, Endyne 11.5:1 pistons, in a GS-R Block. Also using Toda Pump gear, and Mugen Oil pan. I'm really looking forward to working with Yoshio, so, Wish me luck.

Valvecover when's all done. from Spoon

Modified by TheShodan at 4:11 AM 8/8/2006

Modified by TheShodan at 4:14 AM 8/8/2006

Modified by TheShodan at 4:18 AM 8/8/2006

Modified by TheShodan at 4:27 AM 8/8/2006

Modified by TheShodan at 11:38 AM 3/1/2008
Old 11-11-2006, 06:28 AM

Well, after finally getting a second cylinder head (I wanted to keep the original motor whole for a B16B creation), I got Supertech Flattop valves and of course the TODA VALVETRAIN with new keepers installed. I picked up a Type R Intake manifold on trade for a ceramic valvecover (lucky me!), and had it portmatched, ported, and powdercoated.

The rotating assembly was rebalanced, and the crank micropolished thanks to a Machine shop buddy of mine. (Thanks Mike!!)

Changed up the Injectors to 630cc, for I don't even WANT to touch fuel pressure, and will keep my duty cycles under 50% @ WOT. Since Power FC can handle any injector I throw at it, I wasn't worried about it being too big. Plus, I had them handy.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you hit the dyno with the new setup yet? Looking Good
Old 12-04-2006, 04:24 AM

Default Re: Civic Coupe Project *Edit as of 8/19/05* (slow poke)

Wow nice project. Cool wife
Old 12-18-2006, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Civic Coupe Project *Edit as of 8/19/05* (TriniRacer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TriniRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow nice project. Cool wife</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, she puts up with a lot. Because of the holiday season, a few things are on hold for now. Getting another Power Enterprise Timing belt, and will be assembling the motor in January. It's all the LITTLE crap that takes a lot of time..

The headlights are now cracked and faded after several attempts to revamp them, I'm looking to use some other headlight assemblies. Any cool ideas?
Old 12-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, I like your definition of "without breaking the bank" - as I gaze upon all the new brand name parts still in the box I just have to look around and say "dammit...why can't my bank break that high."

Looks nice.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Syndacate)

change out the intake manifold and throttle body too while you at it. nice build keep up the good work
Old 12-18-2006, 10:27 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn, I like your definition of "without breaking the bank" - as I gaze upon all the new brand name parts still in the box I just have to look around and say "dammit...why can't my bank break that high."

Looks nice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha seriously. Right now anything over 200 breaks my ****.

I need to rethink my life with the quickness
Old 12-18-2006, 03:54 PM

Looks pretty cool.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Coupe Project *Edit as of 8/19/05* (CalSnurfer)

Clean car and nice set up.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:07 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn, I like your definition of "without breaking the bank" - as I gaze upon all the new brand name parts still in the box I just have to look around and say "dammit...why can't my bank break that high."

Looks nice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hehe. Dont get me wrong. i'm by no means a rich person. I was just able to find the right deals, (Make a few lucky trades), and a lot was used from some older school fellows who decided to leave the game. I'm also patient as all hell, so I'll wait for the right opportunity and deal to come along.

Bills have to be paid this month, and you know how XMAS creates lint cotton ***** in your pockets..
Old 12-20-2006, 10:11 AM

Default Re: (fmrprojects)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">change out the intake manifold and throttle body too while you at it. nice build keep up the good work</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll keep the IM. It was a good trade and want to keep it a stock looking car internally. I'm getting an edlebrock spacer to put a Mustang Throttle body on the car. There are tons of those in the Motor City of Detroit.

Quick Reply: Civic Coupe Project