Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic auto tranny gear ratio ???s

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Civic auto tranny gear ratio ???s

I have a friend with a '93 Civic DX auto wondering about the gearing differences in her transmission vs. the 92-95 EX unit. Anyone have the ratios for both the 92-95 DX/LX and EX autos?

Also, if you reuse your 5th gen VSS & ECU, can you use any 96-00 automatic except CVT without modifying anything?

I found the gear ratios for the 6th gens and she wants to know what the shortest-geared D-Series automatic tranny is that will swap into the EH2. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I want to see the question answered too.! :D
Old 09-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (ek forever guy)

Wow, you're stupid.

The EX and LX tranny's have a different 4th gear ratio. The LX's have a slightly shorter 4th gear, though I don't have the exact number in front of me.

You can't use a 5th ECU and a 6th gen tranny because the 5th gen tranny's are partially electronically controlled (just the lockup) and the 6th gen's are fully electronic, as are the 94+ Integras.

If the automatics had 5 speeds, they'd be just as fast as the manual transmissions and would in fact have some advantages especially if you upgraded the coil packs and torque converter. They wouldn't rev as freely, but they give you torque multiplication particularly in the low to mid RPM range.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, you're stupid.

The EX and LX tranny's have a different 4th gear ratio. The LX's have a slightly shorter 4th gear, though I don't have the exact number in front of me.

You can't use a 5th ECU and a 6th gen tranny because the 5th gen tranny's are partially electronically controlled (just the lockup) and the 6th gen's are fully electronic, as are the 94+ Integras.

If the automatics had 5 speeds, they'd be just as fast as the manual transmissions and would in fact have some advantages especially if you upgraded the coil packs and torque converter. They wouldn't rev as freely, but they give you torque multiplication particularly in the low to mid RPM range.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was unaware of that. The threads I found said otherwise. You don't have to call me stupid. Correct me and show me how I was wrong. I'll correct my post.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, you're stupid.

You can't use a 5th ECU and a 6th gen tranny because the 5th gen tranny's are partially electronically controlled (just the lockup) and the 6th gen's are fully electronic, as are the 94+ Integras.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, you sound like an angry troll who veiled his lack of knowledge with typical Honda-Tech condesceding answers. I'm not a n00b, I've been here 2 months less than you.

I found these gear ratios for the 96-00 Civics:

GEAR D16Y7 D16Y8
1st 2.600 2.722
2nd 1.468 1.516
3rd 0.926 0.975
4th 0.638 0.638
Rev 1.954 1.954
FD 4.357 4.357

Thanks for shedding some light on the compatibility and differences of 6G auto transmissions vs 5Gs.

If you did an OBD-II conversion with the correct ECU (and TCM if needed,) could you use the 6th gen transmission in a 5th gen Civic?

Also, does anyone have the gear ratios of 92-95 auto trannies?
Old 09-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Import Al)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Import Al &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does anyone have the gear ratios of 92-95 auto trannies? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Ek Forever y0!

He made the gear ratio comments in reference to me.

I made a post saying all the ratios were the same. And I was wrong. I saw a few threads that all said they were the same, so I assumed they were. It's not a subject that's delved into too much. So the knowledge is known mostly by the very marinated enthusiasts. I thought they were all the same, and was wrong, and he called me stupid.

Hooray moderators.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Import Al &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wow, you sound like an angry troll who veiled his lack of knowledge with typical Honda-Tech condescending answers. I'm not a n00b, I've been here 2 months less than you.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok. Good luck finding your answers. Glad to see that time spent on Honda tech is equivalent to time spent in auto classes and/or experience on the job.

The only reason I came off harsh is because it is a pet peeve of mine when people bash on something they really don't know that much about; and then repeat false information that they read on Honda Tech as a basis for their bashing.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Ek Forever y0!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only reason I came off harsh is because it is a pet peeve of mine when people bash on something they really don't know that much about; and then repeat false information that they read on Honda Tech as a basis for their bashing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I hope your over it. I made a mistake and was apologetic. **** happens.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ok. Good luck finding your answers. Glad to see that time spent on Honda tech is equivalent to time spent in auto classes and/or experience on the job.

The only reason I came off harsh is because it is a pet peeve of mine when people bash on something they really don't know that much about; and then repeat false information that they read on Honda Tech as a basis for their bashing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's all good, I HATE that as well and try to stick to Honda shop manual schematics & specs and not perpetuate false info. Sorry if my comments sounded dickish man.

Sooo... Anybody have the gear ratios for 92-95 Civic automatic transmissions?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

..Anyone? Bueller? I need to know like this kid needs another Snickers!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=60og9gwKh1o

Modified by Import Al at 10:56 PM 9/4/2007
Old 09-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

C'mon, someone here knows this. When I find out the ratios, I'm putting this info in the FAQ.
The following users liked this post: