Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic 96 Manual Steering Tie Rods

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic 96 Manual Steering Tie Rods

Hey guys,

New to the forum here, so if I am posting in the wrong section or if the question has already been answered, then I am sorry in advance.

My car: Honda civic 96 CX 3 dr(Hatchback) w/MT and Manual steering

so here is my main issue:

I went to the garage about 5 weeks ago to get my exhaust manifold replaced, and found out that my upper control arms(both sides) as well as my outer tie rods were done.

I had the lower ball joints and inner tie rods done about 2 months ago. When I was in search for the tie rods, i had such a hard time finding them since i couldn't find one for manual steering. I was getting wrong info from everywhere, some manufacturers told me that for inner tie rods power steering and manual steering mattered but others told me it didn't.

So I called RockAuto and they called several manufacturers for me and went with Raybestos P/N: 4011902 from Rockauto, since they were good for both power and manual steering.

Now again, I am in the same dilemma, I am trying to find outer Tie rods for my car and am stuck in the same situation.

My garage is offering me the parts but they are extremely cheap quality and 1 year warranty, and usually i like to put good quality parts with lifetime warranty on them.

So I prefer to order from RockAuto, they have cheap prices and carry good quality products.

So I looked for several outer Tie Rods, but they all say Power Steering, so I called RockAuto, who then called Raybestos, Moog, Deeza, Beck/Arnley. All of them besides Deeza said that Power/manual steering matters when it comes down to outer tie rods, and so the power steering tie rods can't be used with the manual steering.

Although Deeza specifically said that for outer tie rods Power/manual steering doesn't matter the part fits both steering.

So I called the honda dealership, and they said that they don't carry that part for my vehicle and have to do a special order, but they did say that it is the same part number for auto or manual steering.

I called Canadian tire, and they said that they had cheap brand(some unknown brand) and good brand(Monroe), and that Monroe was only available for Power Steering, and for manual steering only cheap brand was available.

So can someone please tell me that for outer tie rods does Power/manual steering matter?

And if yes, can someone please suggest me a brand, part number, store(online), where i can order from?

Like I said I like to put lifetime warranty, good quality parts on the car and i really like raybestos for some reason.

Attached is the picture from RockAuto.

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...-26_184315.jpg

THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH, Help is appreciated!