Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

civic 96 ex motor confusion

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default civic 96 ex motor confusion

hi guys, i recently brought a civic ex 96 vtech, the car is in perfect condition only 70k, runs perfectly. BUT i know its kinda stupid but i wanna be sure.....searching the site i found out that civic ex vtech of that year has a 1.6 Sohc...from here : https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2055230

ok the thing is that the car has a side sticker that says Dohc vtech......it may be just a sticker but i wanna be sure...How can i??????!!! lol.... is there any motor # or something that should look for.????

now if im wrong about this and some ex's are dohc out of the dealer then its fine i just wanna be sure... thx for all in advance
Old 09-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: civic 96 ex motor confusion (z(o_o))

http://www.clubcivic.com/index.php?pageid=specs6

Good job NOFX!
Old 09-08-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Re: civic 96 ex motor confusion (ke98248)

ok but it says the same as the link in this forum that ex comes Sohc.... there are a few chassis codes there from other motors... but how can i check my motor code or chassis code i have been looking for it but i cant find it ;/..... i just wanna know what kind of engine it has...
Old 09-08-2007, 08:55 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by z(o_o) &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok but it says the same as the link in this forum that ex comes Sohc.... there are a few chassis codes there from other motors... but how can i check my motor code or chassis code i have been looking for it but i cant find it ;/..... i just wanna know what kind of engine it has...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Your chassis code is in you VIN. You can find your VIN in a variety of locations on your car, including the driver's door jamb (on a white sticker) and stamped on your firewall under your hood.

Your Vin should begin with 1HG. The next three digits are your chassis code.

Your engine code is found on the front of the engine towards the driver's side next to the header on a little flat panel.

No USDM EX came stock with a DOHC engine. They were all SOHC.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Re: civic 96 ex motor confusion (NOFX)

ok i know where my vin is, ill be trying to check now the motor # and check it out...to be sure....i just hate that the car has 2 stickers and 1 label saying DOHC vtech... is anoying lol.... check it out....
and thx to all.

http://i231.photobucket.com/al...3.jpg
and here's the motor: http://i231.photobucket.com/al...1.jpg
Old 09-08-2007, 09:12 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by z(o_o) &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i know where my vin is, ill be trying to check now the motor # and check it out...to be sure....i just hate that the car has 2 stickers and 1 label saying DOHC vtech... is anoying lol.... check it out....
and thx to all.

http://i231.photobucket.com/al...3.jpg
and here's the motor: http://i231.photobucket.com/al...1.jpg</TD></TR></TABLE>
It's "DOHC VTEC", not "VTECH".

And that badge doesn't belong on your car. Take it off. It looks like an Integra GSR badge.

Your motor looks like a D16Y8, the stock EX motor.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:17 PM

Yea take the gsr badge off. if you dont... some jerk off will scrape it off for you with a screwdriver or something. your car is sohc [Single overhead cam]

if it was dohc it usually say it on the valve cover.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Re: (seanyboy)

lol hahaha previous owner was full of himself.... ima take the badge of right away...lol
and ill put it on my pathfinder (haha).

now that im sure that the engine is the stock (thx to u guys)^_^. what can i do to beef it up?. thx!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (z(o_o))

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by z(o_o) &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol hahaha previous owner was full of himself.... ima take the badge of right away...lol
and ill put it on my pathfinder (haha).

now that im sure that the engine is the stock (thx to u guys)^_^. what can i do to beef it up?. thx!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Turbo or engine swap, don't waste your times with bolt ons such as intake, header, and exhaust.

Yes, on a firehawk trans-am a good set of headers will throw you 20-40hp, it's NOT the same with a civic. They'll give you like 2-4...

I'll narrow it down for ya:
1) all motor 4 cylinder motors don't respond well to bolt-ons.
2) SOHC 4 cylinder motors respond even WORSE to bolt-ons.
3) Sub-standard (Industry standard = 2.0L) displacement 4 cylinder motors respond even WORSE to bolt-ons.

So you have a 1.6L (3), SOHC (2), 4 cylinder motor (1). It will NOT respond well to bolt-ons.

Turbocharge it or swap in a different motor.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turbo or engine swap, don't waste your times with bolt ons such as intake, header, and exhaust.

Yes, on a firehawk trans-am a good set of headers will throw you 20-40hp, it's NOT the same with a civic. They'll give you like 2-4...

I'll narrow it down for ya:
1) all motor 4 cylinder motors don't respond well to bolt-ons.
2) SOHC 4 cylinder motors respond even WORSE to bolt-ons.
3) Sub-standard (Industry standard = 2.0L) displacement 4 cylinder motors respond even WORSE to bolt-ons.

So you have a 1.6L (3), SOHC (2), 4 cylinder motor (1). It will NOT respond well to bolt-ons.

Turbocharge it or swap in a different motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

expletive firehawks..............80s pieaces of **** what you want is the fire-bird trans am or ls1

nofx- firebird trans am = lT1, and the modified firehawk = LT4........the 1992 model never had the LT-4 .............and using the its a 350 fuel injected motor theory then ALL 5.7 aluminum blocked fuel injected motors are the same as the ones used in corvettes, firebird transams, gto's and what not..............closely related doesnt cut it in the GM world everything is essentially a 4-bolt 350 fuel injected motor .......you wouldnt know that since you too busy memorizing paint and chasis codes XD

sure you can argue that intakes, cams,heads,pistons and cranks dont make a motor difrrent but when you're talking about a 4 bolt main V8 block that has been in use since the 1960's you're talking alot of cars....................

Modified by slow ej1 at 11:51 PM 9/8/2007
Old 09-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (slow ej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

expletive firehawks..............80s pieaces of **** what you want is the fire-bird trans am or ls1 </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was just using it as an example...
Old 09-08-2007, 10:33 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (slow ej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">expletive firehawks..............80s pieaces of **** what you want is the fire-bird trans am or ls1 </TD></TR></TABLE>
Ummm... The Firehawk was not from the '80s. It was a '90s Formula modified by SLP.

The first Firehawks were incredibly low production third gens, which yes, this generation began in the '80s. But no, the Firehawk was not made in the '80s.

And the fourth gen Firehawk (the one we're mostly familiar with) came with an LT4, which was closely related to the LT1.

Haters ftl.