Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

civic 93 Dx engine vibrating and coolant vaporating

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:57 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 civic 93 Dx engine vibrating and coolant vaporating

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting here and I would like help figuring out why my engine is doing certain things. First id like to say that my car has 200,000+ miles on it and that ive been running into many problems with this car. At first it was an overheating problem and i found out that my fan wasnt turning on so i did my research on the forums and found that my fuse was burned out. I replaced it and it still didnt work so more research and i ended up finding out that it was my thermostat sensor so i replaced it and it started working again. Skip ahead a few more days and my car started heating up again so i open the hood and i see that my fan is turning on but is not cooling the car so i found that i was low on coolant, it seemed to fix the problem until i found out two days later that i was low on coolant again! So i thought it would be a leak of some kind but i couldnt find any collant dripping. so i just assumed i was going to have to add coolant every other day until i can bring it to a mechanic. Problem now though is when i start up my car its vibrating a lot and im afraid its going to stall on me if i decide to drive it. I heard it could be a blown head gasket but i dont have any milky residue under the oil cap nor the dip stick. Another thing i recall reading is that after replacing he thermostat sensor i was supposed to "bleed" the collant but i wasnt sure how to do that so i didnt. Any suggestions? Please this is my last resort before turning it in for the cash for clunkers.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:56 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: civic 93 Dx engine vibrating and coolant vaporating

Coolant doesn't always go into the oil, sometimes it only goes into a cylinder causing rough running, coolant loss and steamy white exhaust.

A 35 dollar block tester can tell you more definitively if you have a bad head gasket.

To burp the car, put it on a steep hill with the nose facing uphill (front bumper). Take the rad cap off, start her up, let her warm up and keep topping up the rad until no more bubbles happen and the fan kicks on at least twice. That's the easiest way.

FSM tells you to use the bleeder valve on the thermostat valve housing.

You can do it by jacking the front of the car up if you can't find a suitable hill.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Coolant doesn't always go into the oil, sometimes it only goes into a cylinder causing rough running, coolant loss and steamy white exhaust.

A 35 dollar block tester can tell you more definitively if you have a bad head gasket.

To burp the car, put it on a steep hill with the nose facing uphill (front bumper). Take the rad cap off, start her up, let her warm up and keep topping up the rad until no more bubbles happen and the fan kicks on at least twice. That's the easiest way.

FSM tells you to use the bleeder valve on the thermostat valve housing.

You can do it by jacking the front of the car up if you can't find a suitable hill.
Thanks for the information! Do you know of a diagram that shows me where exatcly the valve is at?
Old 01-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

I'm assuming a D15B7 motor in that DX of yours so here:
Name:  Rad.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  103.2 KB
I took the snipped starting at the refill procedure (step 8) and has the capacity chart at the top.

It's best to do this with the front end lifted up, and also make sure to turn your heater temp control to full heat so it also purges the air out of the heater core.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:23 PM
Trial User

So i successfully bled the coolant system and while i was doing this i saw an abnormal ammount of white smoke comming out of the exaust. Maybe it is a blown head gasket? Heres a picture of how it looked, there was more smoke than this but by the time i got my phone out it disappeared.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

White = HG most of the time. No doubt, as soon as it overheated,it warped your head.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Trial User

Alright, im going to get it fixed then. Thanks everyone!