Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

chip ecu

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chip ecu

i was wondering if anyone tired those chip on ebay on there ecu. does it really work or its a lie? i was thinking for getting one for myself if it really work?thanks!
Old 03-15-2006, 12:05 PM

Default Re: chip ecu (Vt3c_eg)

They're probably about as good as the Skunk2 or Mugen chips, which are all useless in my opinion, especially for a fairly stock car.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: chip ecu (Everyones Hero)

okay. thats what i thought. had you tired it?
Old 03-15-2006, 12:16 PM

Nah, never tried one. All they could do is advance the timing, adjust VTEC engagement points, and add/remove fuel.

If you have something like a cam and want to do some tuning I'd reccomend seeing if there's a CROME tuner near you, getting your ECU setup to run crome, and have it dyno tuned to see any worthwhile gains.

Oops, almost forgot. I know a kid that bought a Skunk2 or Mugen chip, installed it, and didn't notice anything but his gas mileage going down. Stock EX coupe w/ intake and exhaust.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:24 PM

i got mine off ebay and it works great came with fuel mapping diagram and vtec engage ment and redline points. he allowed me to chose redline and vtec engagement rpm
Old 03-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (white4doorsi)

all the chips are just different maps that someone has and they burn the chip for you when you buy it. or they can alter 1 that they have. a chip will help if you have a semi built motor. but even tho if you do start modding your motor it is best to get it tuned
Old 03-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by white4doorsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got mine off ebay and it works great came with fuel mapping diagram and vtec engage ment and redline points. he allowed me to chose redline and vtec engagement rpm </TD></TR></TABLE>

how did you get all those. i thought it only comes with a chip. how can you control it?
Old 03-15-2006, 03:33 PM

Default Re: (Vt3c_eg)

i cant modify the ecu now. when i won the auction on ebay he asked me what did i want the redline rpm to be set at and what did rpm did i want vtec to kick in at. Once i gave him those numbers he gave me a good fuel mapping diagram that best works with my setup.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:20 PM

How much did you pay for your chip white4doorsi?

For 100 you can get a chipset & burner from http://www.moates.net and you can make you own. For another 35 you can get the datalogging cable and pretty much tune your car and set everything as you want it. Fuel, timing, VTEC engagement, ect w/ a program like CROME.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Everyones Hero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Everyones Hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much did you pay for your chip white4doorsi?

For 100 you can get a chipset & burner from http://www.moates.net and you can make you own. For another 35 you can get the datalogging cable and pretty much tune your car and set everything as you want it. Fuel, timing, VTEC engagement, ect w/ a program like CROME.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow! that sound even better! any set-up? nice!
Old 03-15-2006, 07:07 PM

Default Re: (Vt3c_eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vt3c_eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow! that sound even better! any set-up? nice!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Anything your heart desires. Crome can be complicated and hard to understand at once, but it's really an incredible program.

Right now I'm running an old uber-data basemap on my boost Z6 because everyone was on the Uberdata bandwagon at the time, but I don't think there's much support for it anymore. Crome on the other hand is still being updated continuously with new plugins and fixes.

I was going to start running Crome last weekend, but I ran into trouble with my datalogging program (It's really a problem with the wrong driver being installed and XP not letting me delete it all. I think it's a registry problem)

I saved my current bin onto my friend's desktop and made a basemap w/ Crome and then burnt it onto my chip. I put it the chip back into the car and my idle was right around 18.5-19.5 AFR, which is a lot better than my curren 12.5-13.5 AFR at idle on my Uber bin.

My VAC driving was pretty much dead on w/ a basemap changed for 310cc injectors. I had a problem with my boost running too lean, but that's just a matter of getting my datalogging to work, processing the data, and making the changes in Crome.

Right now I'm running a TD04 14G turbo w/ 310cc injectors. The 14G is a small turbo, probably about the size of a T25, so 15psi isn't really all that much, but it hauls ***.

Right now I wouldn't worry much about chipping, but if you get cammed or something I'd try to get some dyno time to see if you can get more power out of it by altering your VTEC engagement, ignition timing, cam timing, AFR, ect. Right now my biggest tuning concerns are having good AFRs. I'll get onto a dyno to play with ignition timing to make more power once I get a good street tune.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:57 PM

Out of every

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1303076

kenji will take care of you
Old 03-15-2006, 08:39 PM

damn the price sounds good but it seems pretty complicated i payed 180 for my chipped ecu off ebay.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by white4doorsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn the price sounds good but it seems pretty complicated i payed 180 for my chipped ecu off ebay.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't find it difficult at all, and I had never soldered before in my life, other than on some practice boards I got from my old job (if you have an old computer use the motherboard, sound cards, modem, ect to practice desoldering and soldering.

I think in all I paid maybe 170-180 for my soldering gun kit which came w/ soldering iron, little poker thing, and solder; chipset & burner, and datalogging cable.

There are a few writeups as to how to chip an ecu which had very clear pictures. Everything on the ECU board is marked so you know exactly what to desolder/solder.

Moates.net gives you all the parts, drivers, & instructions you need to setup the burner and datalogging cable.

I'm really glad I did it all myself because these are all things that I can use later in life if I ever need to do something similar again (which is going to be helping my friends go turbo over the summer.)

There's not sending out your stuff and waiting to get it back and I saved a good bit of money doing it.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Everyones Hero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Everyones Hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I didn't find it difficult at all, and I had never soldered before in my life, other than on some practice boards I got from my old job (if you have an old computer use the motherboard, sound cards, modem, ect to practice desoldering and soldering.

I think in all I paid maybe 170-180 for my soldering gun kit which came w/ soldering iron, little poker thing, and solder; chipset & burner, and datalogging cable.

There are a few writeups as to how to chip an ecu which had very clear pictures. Everything on the ECU board is marked so you know exactly what to desolder/solder.

Moates.net gives you all the parts, drivers, & instructions you need to setup the burner and datalogging cable.

I'm really glad I did it all myself because these are all things that I can use later in life if I ever need to do something similar again (which is going to be helping my friends go turbo over the summer.)

There's not sending out your stuff and waiting to get it back and I saved a good bit of money doing it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

true! that sounds good! ill probably give it a try when i boost my z6 too! thanks