Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Check Engine Light Trippin Out

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light Trippin Out

My daily driver is a 2000 SI Turbo and I've been driving it with no problems. The other day my check engine light came on and stayed on after driving it for a while. When I drove it later that day it didn't come on. We hotwired the engine light to stay on so we can wait for it to throw the flashing code. I turned it on this morning and drove it to work with the engine light on. Halfway to work the light turned off and never came back on but the wire was still in place because the SRS light stayed on. I got to work, turned off the car and turned it back on and the engine light stayed on again. I drove it around the block and it turned off so when i pulled out the jumped wire it came on and stayed on.
Anyone know what it might be? I'm gonna wait again then plug it into the laptop. It's a Hondata s300
Old 01-15-2008, 11:43 AM
vestalfootball72

Default Re: Check Engine Light Trippin Out (NOKTURNALCARCLUB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOKTURNALCARCLUB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My daily driver is a 2000 SI Turbo and I've been driving it with no problems. The other day my check engine light came on and stayed on after driving it for a while. When I drove it later that day it didn't come on. We hotwired the engine light to stay on so we can wait for it to throw the flashing code. I turned it on this morning and drove it to work with the engine light on. Halfway to work the light turned off and never came back on but the wire was still in place because the SRS light stayed on. I got to work, turned off the car and turned it back on and the engine light stayed on again. I drove it around the block and it turned off so when i pulled out the jumped wire it came on and stayed on.
Anyone know what it might be? I'm gonna wait again then plug it into the laptop. It's a Hondata s300
</TD></TR></TABLE>

you hotwired it to stay on????
sure you didnt fry anything?
a solid CEL means a bad ecu
Old 01-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Check Engine Light Trippin Out (NOKTURNALCARCLUB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOKTURNALCARCLUB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We hotwired the engine light to stay on so we can wait for it to throw the flashing code.</TD></TR></TABLE>

WTF??? Wow...just wow... Its painfully obvious that you have no idea what youre doing...and probably made things worse by hard wiring things. Now the SRS light is on too? ....

You need to jump the cel connector in order for the light to flash
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557
It will ALWAYS stay on, just to say "hey buddy...****'s f*cked up...jump the connector"
Old 01-15-2008, 12:17 PM
vestalfootball72

Default Re: Check Engine Light Trippin Out (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

WTF??? Wow...just wow... Its painfully obvious that you have no idea what youre doing...and probably made things worse by hard wiring things. Now the SRS light is on too? ....

You need to jump the cel connector in order for the light to flash
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557
It will ALWAYS stay on, just to say "hey buddy...****'s f*cked up...jump the connector"</TD></TR></TABLE>

me and you think alike
Old 01-17-2008, 01:42 PM

I didn't hotwire it to where i would fry it.
What i meant was we hooked it up just like in the thread. We put a thin wire into the jumper plug connectors to where it stays on and flashes the code. I should have phrased it more specific, lol. Well, we plugged it in like that and the engine light came on but after about 5 minutes of driving it, the light shut off and stayed off. Didn't blink at all just turned off and when i removed the wire from the jumper it came back on.

Oh yeah, and i didn't do any hardwiring to anything and the SRS light is off!
Old 01-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i do believe ur not supposed to drive while u have it jumped.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

shouldnt really no...but i doubt anything bad came of it.

did you check the bulb to see if it was just burnt out?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:50 PM

the bulb is not burnt out, The light comes on sometimes when i drive it and then other times it won't come on. It be trippin!
Old 01-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Malakai)

i used to drive with my jumper hooked up all the time

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Malakai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i do believe ur not supposed to drive while u have it jumped. </TD></TR></TABLE>