Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Check Engine Light question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check Engine Light question

well i thought i finally cleared all my check engine light codes, but i was wrong. After driving the car, the light has come back to haunt me. dammit... but the thing is, it only comes on after the motor is revved passed 3K and then stays on. But if i turn the car off, and turn it back on the light goes away, but right when i rev it pass 3K the light comes right back on. I tried pulling the code, and i got 23 so thats the knock sensor. Do i just need to replace it and thats it? im just asking cause i just thought it was wierd that it only comes on after the car is brought pass 3K.

Oh...i have a B18C1 in my HB, with a p72.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check Engine Light question (SjCiViCHB)

just putting it back on page one.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace the sensor? Um why... your cars knocking over 3k rpm... hence why the sensor is throwing a code.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check Engine Light question (sparq)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sparq &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Replace the sensor? Um why... your cars knocking over 3k rpm... hence why the sensor is throwing a code.</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh...dammit. How would i fix that then?? jeebus i hope its not a big problem...i just got the motor put in.

oh i forgot to say...that i did break the sensor while i was trying to pull the plug off it, but i just stuck it back in.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How'd you break it and then just put it back in?

If it's physically broken, replace it.

Also make sure you're running premium gas. If you're running 87, it won't like you
Old 04-30-2003, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check Engine Light question (hot_EG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hot_EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How'd you break it and then just put it back in?

If it's physically broken, replace it.

Also make sure you're running premium gas. If you're running 87, it won't like you </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was installing my manifold and i was trying to pull the plug off the knocksensor while it was still on the block, and it cracked like in half...like where the browinsh part is...

Like right where the green end is....right before it. SO i just pusehd it back in. I hope you can understand what im trying to explain.
And the highest octane i can get is 91, and thats all i use. And i only use Shell and Chevron.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 04-30-2003, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you said you cracked it then its more then likely your knock sensor. Its no good, you broke it, shoving it back will not solve the problem, especially with all the vibrations the engine has. Go out a buy a new knock sensor, and your good to go.
(I had the same problem, vtec did engage, but didn't kick as hard. Same situation about it coming on and off. Anyhoo, if your broke like no joke, its pretty harmless and you can run with a CEL till you have the money. But really its not that expensive, and i just felt better inside without that light on.)
Old 05-01-2003, 01:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check Engine Light question (EG(6)SR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG(6)SR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you said you cracked it then its more then likely your knock sensor. Its no good, you broke it, shoving it back will not solve the problem, especially with all the vibrations the engine has. Go out a buy a new knock sensor, and your good to go.
(I had the same problem, vtec did engage, but didn't kick as hard. Same situation about it coming on and off. Anyhoo, if your broke like no joke, its pretty harmless and you can run with a CEL till you have the money. But really its not that expensive, and i just felt better inside without that light on.) </TD></TR></TABLE>

i see, thanks. Well i guess ill go buy a new knock sensor....

is there a way to check to see if i am "knocking" with out buying a knock sensor? or do i just have to listen to it? or i could just find out if i really am knocking by when i do get a new knock sensor in cause im kinda paranoid about it right now.

Big thanks to everyone who has helped me...thanks alot.