Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

check engine light fraud!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light fraud!

i bought an ek hatch about 2 months ago from a little private dealer and today when i went to put in my new SI cluster i noticed that the check engine light came on. i then look at the old cluster and that bulb was missing. i dont care too much since i am getting a new engine in 3 days but still, is that legal?
Old 09-03-2003, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: check engine light fraud! (tyflip2)

I don't know if that's legal but I would go and cuss out that shop and try to find out who owned the car before them...
Old 09-03-2003, 02:03 PM

Default Re: check engine light fraud! (DSeriesBKilla)

not cool!
I donno what I would do if I were you.
Mna good thing you found that out.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: check engine light fraud! (DSeriesBKilla)

do you think that after i get the new engine it will go off?
Old 09-03-2003, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: check engine light fraud! (SLeePeR012)

I think there is a law about dealers knowing there is a problem with the car but not telling you. I'm sure they could get into some trouble for doing it.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: check engine light fraud! (90blackcrx)

The dealership may not have known about it. The person who had it before the dealership could have thought that they would get more money for the car if the light wasn't on. If you put a new motor in it should go off if there isn't anything wrong with it. If it's OBD2, take the car to AutoZone and they will tell you why that light is on.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, I also advise people to start the car and check if the SRS or Air Bag light turns on then turn right back off. This makes sure that the air bag is there too. The engine light will go off if there is something wrong with the engine.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:03 PM

Default Re: (SeaQuake)

always turn the key to ON position to check cluster lights

can't be anything serious if you haven't noticed any problems (after 2 months ), but i would definitely find out what the hell is going on
Old 09-03-2003, 04:39 PM

Default Re: (Jswpstdoff)

a very common practice found at used car dealerships... cars go for a lil more when the check engine light isnt on, I work at a used car dealership... we have the computer code checker thingy, usually its an emissions based problem... but yeah, most tune up places and autozones have the comeputer code checker thingy

BTW, did you get the miles matched on the new cluster to the miles on the old... if not then you are the one doing something WAY more illegal than taking out a check engine light.... Just FYI
Old 09-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ninety3EX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ninety3ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BTW, did you get the miles matched on the new cluster to the miles on the old... if not then you are the one doing something WAY more illegal than taking out a check engine light.... Just FYI</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh man leave him alone about the cluster miles. my car has 175000 miles on it and i swaped in a type r cluster that has 90000 miles on it. i dont care why do u care so much what he does with his car. when i totaled my last hach out the car had 230000 miles on it when teh insurance guy came to inspect the car the cluster only said 90000 miles on it i told him right there that the car 230000 miles on it and showed him the original cluster with the origianl miles and the insurance guy calculated the mile on the cluster and added the difference form the new cluster. so stop worrying about other people and worry about your car. what are u gonna do tell every person that has a jdm cluster that reads in KM that they are commiting fraud. leave us alone

Modified by nextelbuddy at 6:01 PM 9/3/2003
Old 09-03-2003, 04:49 PM

Default Re: (nextelbuddy)

wow there guy hes just trying to inform u. if i was doing something illegal i would like to know.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mugensport9)

what are you talking about, that didnt make any sense
Old 09-03-2003, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nextelbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

oh man leave him alone about the cluster miles. my car has 175000 miles on it and i swaped in a type r cluster that has 90000 miles on it. i dont care why do u care so much what he does with his car. when i totaled my last hach out the car had 230000 miles on it when teh insurance guy came to inspect the car the cluster only said 90000 miles on it i told him right there that the car 230000 miles on it and showed him the original cluster with the origianl miles and the insurance guy calculated the mile on the cluster and added the difference form the new cluster. so stop worrying about other people and worry about your car. what are u gonna do tell every person that has a jdm cluster that reads in KM that they are commiting fraud. leave us alone

Modified by nextelbuddy at 6:01 PM 9/3/2003</TD></TR></TABLE>

Chill out dude
Old 09-03-2003, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nsxmatt)

dude i am chill but im so sick of seeing people calling out fraud left and right its so old. i used to be on a nextel forum and every time sone one said something about phone and insurance in the same sentence there were a million peopel jumping thier azz about fraud this and that. on on here when some one posts abot getting a new cluster adn wanting to change the miles to match the motor or even leaving it alone and jusy swapping in a cluster theres someone on here yelling fraud or telling them they are doing somethign illegal i think those people need to get a life
Old 09-03-2003, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think it was just a honest warning to the guy that changing odometers and mileage can come back to haunt you. Not that it's fraud but you change a odometer and sell the car to someone then in some states they have to get the car inspected. I know in Kentucky when the sheriff inspects the car and the mileage is less than what was last reported on the title, they list it as odometer fraud and is branded on the title and on Carfax checks. That happened on my DX with a SI cluster.

I think you just got bent ou of shape a little, he's here to help and I don't think telling him to get a life was called for.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: check engine light fraud! (tyflip2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tyflip2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i bought an ek hatch about 2 months ago from a little private dealer and today when i went to put in my new SI cluster i noticed that the check engine light came on. i then look at the old cluster and that bulb was missing. i dont care too much since i am getting a new engine in 3 days but still, is that legal?</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow, the same exact thing happened to me when i bought my hatch 6 mos ago(except i put in a 99 ex cluster ).
i pulled the codes, and called the dealer about what i found,and the codes it was throwing.
he offered to fix them for free, but it SUCKED because i bought the car in maine and i live in CT
he still didnt fix them, either. he told me that something was wrong with the ECU and he mailed me a new one a couple days later, which still didnt fix the problem.
i ended up fixing it myself, and i never sent him up the title for my car i traded in, because i was so pissed at him. i did recieve the title to my hatch a little while ago, and thats all that counts
Old 09-03-2003, 06:01 PM

Default Re: check engine light fraud! (blackhatchy)

TO the idiot getting defensive about changing clusters... That kills a carfax. Say u put a new cluster in that doesnt match, then i buy your car, then i go get it inspected, then im redflaged for possible fraud....thanks but no thanks, if u change the cluster, adjust the millage. THanks for your time.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: check engine light fraud! (Nextekhatch)

uh well i dont do tha cuz i dont sell my cars i keep them. for the peopel that want to do that then thats fine. what im talking about is there are peopel on here that say changing the milage is bad and theres people tha say if u dont change the milage thats bad. either way some one says your doing wrong and i hate that.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:08 PM

Default Re: check engine light fraud! (nextelbuddy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nextelbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uh well i dont do tha cuz i dont sell my cars i keep them. for the peopel that want to do that then thats fine. what im talking about is there are peopel on here that say changing the milage is bad and theres people tha say if u dont change the milage thats bad. either way some one says your doing wrong and i hate that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

omg horrible rebuttal. if everyone were to do that then it would defeat the purpose... do u understand that concept???

just stop. your done
Old 09-06-2003, 06:26 PM

Default Re: (mugensport9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mugensport9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow there guy, hes just trying to inform u. if i was doing something illegal i would like to know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the bakup... all i was doing was informing ya'll... anyway, thanks again for the backup
Old 09-06-2003, 06:54 PM

I recently put in a Si cluster in my DX and the mileage was approx. 40 miles off. Should I add 40 to the Si cluster? or what? I'm scared about this whole mileage fraud deal. Someone help please.