Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Check engine light D4 blinking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 07:49 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light D4 blinking.

I have a 97 Honda Civic LX. Check engine light was on as well as the D4 blinking light indicating the transmission issue. The engine light said I needed to change my speed sensor. My speed sensor was not acting up prior. But I went ahead and changed it the connections look good and when I reset the codes the engine light came back on still saying that I needed to change that sensor even though the center is brand new. The vehicle runs and drives and shifts just fine it runs like there are no issues whatsoever the only issue I am having is really bad fuel economy my gas mileage is absolutely terrible and my odometer is not working those are the only two issues I'm having at the moment. I'm thinking that the electronic control module may have been shorted out somehow and that could possibly be the issue but I'm not sure any advice would be great thank you.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:26 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: Check engine light D4 blinking.

Did you ever get the D4 blink code when you pulled the CEL code?
Old 06-02-2019, 11:20 PM
Trial User

No I have not checked the D4 light yet I just bought the car. I'm having Diagnostics ran on it tomorrow by a mechanic. That guy that I bought this car from had a battery in it that was way too big for it it was sticking up and he shut the hood and it shorted out I don't know if that could have caused something to short out the the computer module or not I'm not sure about the guy before me just totally tore up the car before I got it.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:01 PM
Trial User

Update: I I took my car to my mechanic today to run Diagnostics after completing it my P-07 20 code was cleared after changing a sensor but but I still had a 0 700 code which came back as a death blow to the transmission transmission assembly. As of now the transmission is functioning and driving normally but it will fail in the near future I'm not sure how much longer I can get out of it the mechanic said his car he got a couple years out of it baby in it. So we'll see. The D4 blinking light I checked my sensors and I found it sensor by the battery that was not snapped in all the way after I snapped it in the light went back to solid green. My odometer is still not working and I'm still having an issue with gas mileage my O2 sensors the mass air sensor air filter all seem to be fine I'm going to change the spark plugs next hopefully that could be the issue. While I'm changing the spark plugs should I keep the old wires or should I buy new wires.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Price
Update: I I took my car to my mechanic today to run Diagnostics after completing it my P-07 20 code was cleared after changing a sensor but but I still had a 0 700 code which came back as a death blow to the transmission transmission assembly. As of now the transmission is functioning and driving normally but it will fail in the near future I'm not sure how much longer I can get out of it the mechanic said his car he got a couple years out of it baby in it. So we'll see. The D4 blinking light I checked my sensors and I found it sensor by the battery that was not snapped in all the way after I snapped it in the light went back to solid green. My odometer is still not working and I'm still having an issue with gas mileage my O2 sensors the mass air sensor air filter all seem to be fine I'm going to change the spark plugs next hopefully that could be the issue. While I'm changing the spark plugs should I keep the old wires or should I buy new wires.
I could be that your ECM or TCM are failed which is the result of failed or out of spec electrolytic capacitors. They CAN be replaced if you have basic soldering skills.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:57 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by bloomin
I could be that your ECM or TCM are failed which is the result of failed or out of spec electrolytic capacitors. They CAN be replaced if you have basic soldering skills.
Question I apologize I'm not a mechanic so excuse if I stumble over my words trying to explain. I had a suspicion something might be wrong with the electrical system because the last person that owned this car was a Salesman who sold it to me it was a shyster he stuck a battery in here out of another car that was way too big for the car and when you shut the hood it would hit the top of the battery causing a short so he stuck some cardboard over it to prevent that. I'm betting that he probably shorted that's out before dust and putting the cardboard on could something like that short out my electrical module because I know they have fuses on them but he could have changed those as well. And if my ECM or PCM is failing would I still be able to drive it like I am because the only light is on right now is that I check engine with the O 700 code. And my ABS light is on and I haven't even begin to search the why. I say that I was suspicious of the electrical system because it was telling me to change my VSS sensor so I change that speed sensor but my speedometer was acting normal when I changed it which usually when the speed sensor goes out your speedometer is jumping all around which mine was not. But I changed it anyway so my computer is giving me codes for sensors that are not out. What is the best way to test to see if my ECM or TCM is out. I only paid $1,000 for this car and I put a little bit of money into it I'm not trying to keep spending more and more but I like to find out if the computers are bad. Thank you in
Old 06-17-2019, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Price
Question I apologize I'm not a mechanic so excuse if I stumble over my words trying to explain. I had a suspicion something might be wrong with the electrical system because the last person that owned this car was a Salesman who sold it to me it was a shyster he stuck a battery in here out of another car that was way too big for the car and when you shut the hood it would hit the top of the battery causing a short so he stuck some cardboard over it to prevent that. I'm betting that he probably shorted that's out before dust and putting the cardboard on could something like that short out my electrical module because I know they have fuses on them but he could have changed those as well. And if my ECM or PCM is failing would I still be able to drive it like I am because the only light is on right now is that I check engine with the O 700 code. And my ABS light is on and I haven't even begin to search the why. I say that I was suspicious of the electrical system because it was telling me to change my VSS sensor so I change that speed sensor but my speedometer was acting normal when I changed it which usually when the speed sensor goes out your speedometer is jumping all around which mine was not. But I changed it anyway so my computer is giving me codes for sensors that are not out. What is the best way to test to see if my ECM or TCM is out. I only paid $1,000 for this car and I put a little bit of money into it I'm not trying to keep spending more and more but I like to find out if the computers are bad. Thank you in

The only sure fire way is to swap a known good ECU into the car and test it that way....
Old 06-18-2019, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Check for the fuse 15 problem. This involves fraying and shorting of wires behind the engine that power several sensors including the VSS, resulting in codes for sensors that are not actually bad, they just lack a power supply. The auto transmission and the ABS depend on readings from the VSS.

Last edited by mk378; 06-18-2019 at 06:35 PM.