Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Check engine come on when i race

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine come on when i race

My check engine light only come on when i race, so i did a check engine check n the code came up as a #22-VTEC pressure valve. Anybody know how to replace that or know where its located at?
Old 09-22-2008, 02:00 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FV-QR

The obvious answer would be to quit starving your car for oil and use the correct weight.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FV-QR (Eran)

I run royal purple 5-30.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:05 PM
HT White Ops

Default FV-QR

And how long do you go before changing your oil filter?

How is it that you race your car, run high performance oil .... but can't figure out a simple search or how to work on your own car?
Old 09-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

because hes a little street racer. I hope he gets smart before he kills some innocent person out there.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm kinda new at this web site so repect me. Well i do know alot about cars too, but never haded this probem before will i'll search it up myself
Old 09-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FV-QR (Egpower88)

respect like any forum is earned not given.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:12 PM

Default Re: FV-QR (-Gambit-)

if you have no idea wtf happened to ur car, pay for someone to check it for you. Don't try to DIY or fix it if you don't know **** about it. Earn the respect first then we can talk. You are those people who buy parts on ebay then try to install it by yourself coz you thought you were a pro. What happen next? You break the part and shout at the seller saying that the part didn't fit, beg to return and a refund. omg.... if you don't have money, don't race or fix up your car etc. You are not earning respect this way mf.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FV-QR (stockk20a)

ok lets go in another direction here....does it only come on when your beating on it and goes off after you turn the car back off than on again?? and does your vtec engage while the CEL is on? and on the flip side, dont say respect me because we dont know you ya know?? im not tryin to be a ***** but you have to understand that there are a lot of people on here that know ALOT more than you and me....like everyone said you need to give respect to get it which is true so just be careful on what you say or no one will help you...thats just honesty bro take it to offense if you want but im not tryin to dog on ya
Old 09-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@ egpower: you only get 5 posts a day on trial status, so don't waste time with people talking trash or demanding "repect"

Old 09-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FV-QR (vtecb18c)

Yea when i down on 3gear to 4 then the cel pop on. The vtec still kick but there also a bog around 6000to8000rpm. Thanks foe the advice and i apologize for saying that.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FV-QR (Egpower88)

dude dont apologize to anybody you were just kinda defending yourself....i would just either take the VPS and clean it or replace it...well wait, ok somone might need to correct me but i believe its the Vtec Pressure Switch....i dont think its the solenoid
Old 09-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pics of said "race car"????
Old 09-22-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well maybe you should stop [freak]ing street racing in that single cam pile of yours.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecb18c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude don't apologize to anybody you were just kinda defending yourself</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya man this forum is filled with smart ***'s and ********. you just gotta get some thick skin if you ever want to post anything on here especially in the 92-00 section. everyone thinks they know everything.

are you sure vtec is kicking on? when my wire came loose on my Vtec Pressure Switch or what ever it is i would have the check engine light on all the time if i remember correctly. it was a while ago and was only like that for like 5 minutes because i traced the problem like right there on the side of the road

what rpm range is this happening at?

does the car bog at all when the cel is on?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Egpower88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> where its located at? </TD></TR></TABLE>

since no one answered your original question im gonna guess an say its probally some where next to your distributor where your Vtec Solenoid is... i could be wrong tho i dont know everything i just try to help out some times
Old 09-22-2008, 05:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And how long do you go before changing your oil filter?

How is it that you race your car, run high performance oil .... but can't figure out a simple search or how to work on your own car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i see how you got your post count so high

are you freaking kidding tho... OMGZZZ he knows how to change his oil and use something that is proven to be better of an oil. dude thats almost like building a space ship right?

and racing a civic is a JOKE. especially a single slam one. dude its MADD hard knowing how to shift gears... right? dude cmon' you have been around long enough to know racing a civic is pretty eeezzz

i would definately say trouble shooting CEL's and fixing your car is higher up on the difficulty scale then say... changing your oil and using royal purps, or taking a civic up to redline .
Old 09-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FV-QR (dividedas1)

Try cleaning/checking your vtec solenoid filter's
Old 09-22-2008, 06:47 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i see how you got your post count so high

are you freaking kidding tho... OMGZZZ he knows how to change his oil and use something that is proven to be better of an oil. dude thats almost like building a space ship right?

and racing a civic is a JOKE. especially a single slam one. dude its MADD hard knowing how to shift gears... right? dude cmon' you have been around long enough to know racing a civic is pretty eeezzz

i would definately say trouble shooting CEL's and fixing your car is higher up on the difficulty scale then say... changing your oil and using royal purps, or taking a civic up to redline .</TD></TR></TABLE>

You failed to see the point of my question:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And how long do you go before changing your oil filter? </TD></TR></TABLE>

How long is he waiting to change his filter? Yes, you can run Royal Purple for 8K-10K .... but if you're using any paper-media filter .... those need to go about every 4K. If he's rocking the same filter for his entire oil change, then it ceases to do it's job: filtering out particulate. If particulate is circling around in the engine ... there's only two more places for it to collect:

Oil Pickup screen
VTEC Pressure Switch screen

Now, lets think kids. How could reduced oil pressure due to clogged filter media affect an oil pressure driven system? HMMMMMM.

Conversely, if he's running Royal and doing and oil and filter change every 3-4K ... he's retarded.

And as for racing a Civic being a joke? Tell that to the people running 12's and below. SUCH A JOKE!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL @ Im new so respect me.... wow..
Old 09-22-2008, 08:22 PM

Yup, 35psi is DEFINITELY a joke!

I mean, civics are econo cars right?

Pfft, who races civics nowadays, what idiots!
Old 09-22-2008, 08:26 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Conversely, if he's running Royal and doing and oil and filter change every 3-4K ... he's retarded. </TD></TR></TABLE>

this is very true, i didnt realize he didn't say how longs its been since the last oil change. that royal purple is expensive, i sure hope he's not. that would burn a hole in someones pocket real quick

to the OP like Eran asked how long has it been since your last oil change? he's pretty much right about all of that. but that makes me think if your vtec is even kicking on. because if your that clogged and dont have enough oil or oil pressure vtec shouldn't be working.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And as for racing a Civic being a joke? Tell that to the people running 12's and below. SUCH A JOKE! </TD></TR></TABLE>

not every one in the forum drives said car. actually im willing to bet the number of people on this forum who have stockish cars are probally higher then the people running 12's and below because we all know a b16 stock or a GSR or ITR isn't going to drop a civic into 12's or lower.

so when i read on here about people "drag racing" lol their civics i pretty much laugh on the inside everytime because we all know its probally a sohc vtec. and don't get me wrong i know honda's can be fast just not everyone has that kind of money to spend.

now if we we're talking about racing like on a track with turns that would make more sense to me.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:51 PM

How about an H22 + H2B in a gutted EG hatch?

What's wrong with drag racing a civic?

My civic is a drag car. I'm pretty sure there isn't a single cam in it. But hey! Apparently you know civic drag cars better than I do. I mean, hell, I drag race in an fwd car. What the [freak] do I know right?

Now if we were talking about racing on a track with turns and ****, well.....why the [freak] would you use a civic as a platform anyways? For the same money you would spend on a civic, you would be able to buy a stock miata, do some suspension work, and have one hell of a track beast that will be a **** ton faster on the track than any stock motor civic (with the same suspension mods, respectively. Unless you were to dumb to figure that out already).
Old 09-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't think a single cam could take the heat up to 8000rpm without being built, and if he's such a new kid in this he don't kno sht about build so i guess he's got some money in that hood man
Old 09-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check engine come on when i race (Egpower88)

whys it bad to race a single cam? oppose to a dohc? dont hate on me trying to learn pleasee and thank you
Old 09-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check engine come on when i race (wdissident)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wdissident &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whys it bad to race a single cam? oppose to a dohc? dont hate on me trying to learn pleasee and thank you </TD></TR></TABLE>

They're just yankin your chain... a boosted sohc is pretty equivalent to a mildly built N/A dohc vtec motor..

But generally speaking, all motor sohc's arent worth bragging about, or worth "racing" so to speak...

Quick Reply: Check engine come on when i race