Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   cheap-o ebay/amazon timing kits? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/cheap-o-ebay-amazon-timing-kits-3333632/)

eghatch9295 02-09-2019 05:25 PM

cheap-o ebay/amazon timing kits?

BEFORE the trolls of hate descend, know that I am an avid user of Honda/Gates timing kits, water pump included. However, I know a lot of guys here are on a limited budget, and with kits including timing belt, tensioner, water pump, seals, AND a valve cover gasket are on eBay for as cheap as $32. I've come to a crossroads of sorts, I have a beater I am trying to get a year or so out of as a work car, as many people on a budget are probably also trying to do. The car has an unknown history on timing belt changes, and at 170k miles, I obviously want to change it for peace of mind. I know there is no way a $32 package with all of that in it will be near the same quality as OE, but to hold up for a year (or 2, or 3), vs leaving unknown age and mileage components it has to be better. Anyone have any experience with these cheap kits? Post up feedback or reviews/experiences. Consider this thread a review forum for the cheap timing kits, keep the opinion based nonsense out... if nobody has taken the plunge on this Chinese crap, I will... and post pics and reviews every so often for posterity's sake.

NVturbo 02-09-2019 06:14 PM

Re: cheap-o ebay/amazon timing kits?

IMO, timing belt and water pump are 2 things you never want to cheap out on. You can get some whatever brand valve cover gasket and they will do fine. I know everyone isn't making 6 figures at their job but quality parts isn't going to break the bank. If they're too cheap to buy such parts, they should stop splurging on other shit and concentrate on getting their car fixed. See this all the time. They complain and don't want to buy a $20 part, yet they go out and spend $200 on some whack ass pair of shoes.

I've had numerous people come to me to work on their cars. I suggest a certain part that is needed and they act like I'm some sort of dealership giving them a ridiculous price on it. I guess next time I should just tell them to get a damn monthly bus pass instead if they want to be such a cheap ass. LOL

eghatch9295 02-09-2019 06:50 PM

I get it and feel the same way. BUT, the intended purpose of this thread isn't for people making poor life choices... it's for people NEEDING to maintain their car on the cheap. Hence the reason I'm looking for first person reviews on similar kits. I know OEM is superior in every way, my other 5 cars all get OEM or better. The shitbox $460 CR-V does not get OEM anything, it would be nonsensical to spend $200+ on a timing kit for a sub $500 car, and many others may be in a similar situation, just trying to keep a beater on the road. Why not figure out if these kits will provide a few years of service?

Ryanthegreat1 02-09-2019 07:50 PM

Gates makes decent timing kits. However they are typically as expensive or more expensive than discounted OEM parts found online.

eghatch9295 02-09-2019 08:07 PM

I know. The focus of this thread is specifically on the cheap kits available on eBay/Amazon. Call a cheap kit $50 or less. No name, ITM, whatever.

lonely_driver4 02-09-2019 09:14 PM

my friend picked up a whole bunch of that kinda of stuff cheap ebay water pump belt, and alot more, i haven't helped him put it on yet because of the weather in nys but i dont see why it wouldn't work, at least for a year or so. then again i cant judge the parts because i haven't seen them function!

Personally i swear by Oem or better parts on my crv. 212k and still going up :) back on topic my dad pretty much only uses auto zone bullshit on his truck and car, the duralast and its never gave him a problem, except for an o2 sensor for his 04 colorado he ended up getting one from gm because the duralast one kept throwing codes, and an ABS wheel hub he got off amazon, detroit axle literally we installed it and the abs was still on, went to the junk yard the next day got a used one and its been perfectly fine since. as for water pump timing belt tensioner i would say go autozone or give the ebay stuff a shot if its just a beater! let us know how it works out and the build quality if you get a ebay kit

deschlong 02-09-2019 10:15 PM

Contitech timing belt is $8 on RockAuto. Mfr'd in Europe, I believe. Then get any WP with a metal impeller ($22-32 range), should be "good enough". Gates ones are shit anyway. Leave the tensioner alone unless it's bad, which they rarely are if it's original OEM Honda (see Eric The Car Guy vid on how to determine this). Now you're in the $30-40 range with decent enough parts to last a year or two.

lonely_driver4 02-09-2019 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by deschlong (Post 51856618)
Contitech timing belt is $8 on RockAuto. Mfr'd in Europe, I believe. Then get any WP with a metal impeller ($22-32 range), should be "good enough". Gates ones are shit anyway. Leave the tensioner alone unless it's bad, which they rarely are if it's original OEM Honda (see Eric The Car Guy vid on how to determine this). Now you're in the $30-40 range with decent enough parts to last a year or two.

^^ i have heard good things about rock auto

tony_2018 02-10-2019 12:27 AM

we have a thread for this.

White_EG1 02-10-2019 12:32 AM

Like said above even gates is crap now a days. I got a kit a few years ago and the water pump felt like it was made of plastic.

I don’t think the belt will just snap on you like that. But you’ll never know till you try. Just regularly check the belt for wear over the year or 2. Which I doubt would be much. I wouldn’t worry, well shit especially with 5 cars lol.

Worse case scenario it does, cross your fingers, buy the same belt again, and reinstall for the win! Then boom you did two replacements for $64

eghatch9295 02-10-2019 08:02 AM

Its actually 9.... I'm not counting the track or show car, my truck (rarely gets driven), or my wife's car which I also own and maintain. I figured there are plenty of threads, build or otherwise highlighting quality and/or expensive parts, why not get some information going on the cheap stuff for people just starting out or on a budget.

deschlong 02-10-2019 08:18 AM

Still, I can't overstate enough "the high cost of low prices": On the tightest of budgets, a cheap-o timing belt that snaps and kills your motor costs wayyyy more than springing for a few dollars more for good quality. I mean, we all know this already. But for a guy who already has 9 vehicles, go for it since you can likely eat the loss and still get to work (e.g., non recommended for someone's only ride to work at a low-wage jorb). That said, my suggestion of Contitech + a WP with a metal impeller will be good enough for you.

eghatch9295 02-10-2019 09:08 AM

I've used contitech belts in the past with success. My primary concern with the cheap kits wasn't the belt, but the pump. They're all metal impeller pumps, but low quality bearings and sub standard quality control are a concern. At the end of the day, I would venture a guess that most of the cheap unbranded pumps are made right alongside most aftermarket pumps in China anyways...

Freedo_Civegra 02-10-2019 10:32 AM

We’ve been using Gates timing belts for years at our garage, and the primary issue I’ve seen from the kits has been failed tensioners, but only a few, and no water pump problems.

Idk about the cheapo stuff since I’d be hesitant to try/risk it... but you’re probably right: they may well be made right alongside the better brands and just don’t receive the brand stamp.

eghatch9295 02-10-2019 05:47 PM

So, for the low price of $100 I ordered 2 Mevotech lower ball joints, a set of QuikSteer outer tie rod ends, valve cover gasket, billet cam seal, o2 sensor, and more than enough line to replace both fuel feed and return lines. Timing belt and rear frame support to come.

tony_2018 02-10-2019 06:34 PM

eghatch9295 02-10-2019 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Freedo_Civegra (Post 51856847)
We’ve been using Gates timing belts for years at our garage, and the primary issue I’ve seen from the kits has been failed tensioners, but only a few, and no water pump problems.

Idk about the cheapo stuff since I’d be hesitant to try/risk it... but you’re probably right: they may well be made right alongside the better brands and just don’t receive the brand stamp.

I have held a pump from a $30 kit in hand for a Civic at one point, looked no different than the one that came in Advance Auto's $130 Dayco kit.

Joey Mitchell 02-10-2019 08:32 PM

I put that exact $32 timing/water pump kit on my y7 about a month ago. Time will tell, but it's worked fine for the month that I've had it all installed. And I drive the shit out of my Civic, it's a beater and I treat it like one. Drive it like you stole it. Lol. I don't see a problem with a cheap timing/ water pump kit if you are on a budget, as long as you aren't expecting another 5 or 10 years out of the vehicle. It all goes back to you get what you pay for.

eghatch9295 02-10-2019 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Joey Mitchell (Post 51857103)
I put that exact $32 timing/water pump kit on my y7 about a month ago. Time will tell, but it's worked fine for the month that I've had it all installed. And I drive the shit out of my Civic, it's a beater and I treat it like one. Drive it like you stole it. Lol. I don't see a problem with a cheap timing/ water pump kit if you are on a budget, as long as you aren't expecting another 5 or 10 years out of the vehicle. It all goes back to you get what you pay for.

PLEASE post back up with your results over time. By then, I'm sure I will have bought something but for the others reading this thread's benefit. I don't know how the cheap water pump/timing kit held up, it was being installed on a customer car at a local shop. I can't understand why someone would pay the labor and buy the cheapest possible parts, but hey... not here to judge.

chrysler kid 02-10-2019 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by eghatch9295 (Post 51857105)
PLEASE post back up with your results over time. By then, I'm sure I will have bought something but for the others reading this thread's benefit. I don't know how the cheap water pump/timing kit held up, it was being installed on a customer car at a local shop. I can't understand why someone would pay the labor and buy the cheapest possible parts, but hey... not here to judge.

Use the search

I've been using the cheapest shit for years without problems. The no name kit still comes with a gmb pump

What's there to question on a dseries, belt tension is not a concern. Even on my 4g63 cars a new belt with no contamination that has no signs of rot is a good as any other name brand. Even the contitech kit belts say made in Mexico on them now

There is a guy in the ef section who uses used timing belts he buys from the junkyard on his d15. If it looks clean and new he snags them and uses them

NVturbo 02-11-2019 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Freedo_Civegra (Post 51856847)

Gates actually makes the timing belt for Honda now. The one on my setup is. Yes, it was purchased from a Honda online store.

DaX 02-11-2019 04:15 AM

I've been driving my EF for going on 15 years. Here's some data points on various quality timing components, though none of these are as cheap as the ones you're suggesting. I have never had a tensioner, belt, or water pump go bad. I have always run all my timing covers.

09-Jan-2005, 215,355 miles, OEM timing belt, water pump, and tensioner
02-Aug-2011, 312,637 miles, Duralast timing belt and water pump
13-Apr-2017, 408,169 miles, Gates timing belt, water pump, tensioner
Currently at 425,000 miles

Similarly, on my wife's Accord:

19-Dec-2007, 213,561 miles, OEM timing belt and water pump
24-Nov-2016, 328,452 miles, Gates timing belt, water pump, tensioner
Currently at 361,000 miles

White_EG1 02-11-2019 06:41 AM

Hey know what’s even better. How long people are going on the stock belt. Risky, but if we’re talking cheap, that’s really gonna save you the most money. I’ve seen 305,000, and currently 200k plus on my ride. Never changed. The 305,000 had the timing cover off too. Still going.

If I was op and had 9 cars I wouldn’t care to much about replacing the timing belt in a timely fashion. I’d just drive it thru the winter or whatever, it almost doesn’t make any sense to do a timing job on a car you only want around for one year or maybe two. Well at least tryna save some $$$. The bare minimum, that’s what I suggest lol

Im not saying not to replace your timing belts. But if anything you can go a little past that really expensive interval that in the early to late 90’s would bring alot of customers back to Honda almost every other year to get that replaced. Possibly tossing away your minimally wore timing belt. For a expensive bill.

eghatch9295 02-11-2019 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by DaX (Post 51857186)
I've been driving my EF for going on 15 years. Here's some data points on various quality timing components, though none of these are as cheap as the ones you're suggesting. I have never had a tensioner, belt, or water pump go bad. I have always run all my timing covers.

09-Jan-2005, 215,355 miles, OEM timing belt, water pump, and tensioner
02-Aug-2011, 312,637 miles, Duralast timing belt and water pump
13-Apr-2017, 408,169 miles, Gates timing belt, water pump, tensioner
Currently at 425,000 miles

Similarly, on my wife's Accord:

19-Dec-2007, 213,561 miles, OEM timing belt and water pump
24-Nov-2016, 328,452 miles, Gates timing belt, water pump, tensioner
Currently at 361,000 miles

Did well on the Duralast kit, probably the least expensive one you used. Nice mileage!