Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cheap Horsepower Gains??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Horsepower Gains??

Is there anything i can do or get that will increase my horsepower without dropping a few grand on a turbo or a supercharger? In other words, Is there a way to speed my ride for cheap?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Cheap Horsepower Gains?? (sinishcivic)

chrome exhaust †ip at @u†ozone
Old 03-29-2005, 10:50 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sinishcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there anything i can do or get that will increase my horsepower without dropping a few grand on a turbo or a supercharger? In other words, Is there a way to speed my ride for cheap?</TD></TR></TABLE>
what is your current setup as of right now? what motor and modds?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cheap Horsepower Gains?? (POE)

cheap power is an oxymoron... doesnt really go together... intake, header, exhaust will run u around 1000 bucks if u get good stuff and still wont get you anywhere near what u can get with a $1000 used turbo
Old 03-29-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Cheap Horsepower Gains?? (POE)

its a D16Z7 motor with no real aditional setup

just a ram intake
Old 03-29-2005, 11:04 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

i believe you mean d16z6 is your car a 92-95 ex or si if so then thats the motor you have. You could make an air duct for cheap at a hardware store to get NICE COLD ARE to your short ram intake. Dryer duct is like 5 bucks for a 4 inch tube. just cut out the foglight hole and run it to the whole in your engine bay, take your stock intake resonator off if it is still on.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Re: (POE)

its a 97 ex

and that is what i read the motor is

Thanks tho i mite try it out
Old 03-29-2005, 11:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EeeJayEight &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cheap power is an oxymoron... doesnt really go together... intake, header, exhaust will run u around 1000 bucks if u get good stuff and still wont get you anywhere near what u can get with a $1000 used turbo</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. You get what you pay for. So if you buy all your "cheap" hp mods off e-bay to save money... You'll gain maybe 10hp (if your lucky). Then if you want good stuff that will get you a little more hp but cost about as much as a home-made turbo kit will cost. So, just save your money and deal with having a slower car till you can afford something that will make a noticeable difference.

Edit: if you have a 97 ex, then you have a d16y8. Still a good engine.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sinishcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sinishcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its a 97 ex

and that is what i read the motor is

Thanks tho i mite try it out </TD></TR></TABLE>

97 EX would have a D16Y8.

Anyways, there's really no cheap way to make it reasonably quick. The best bang for the buck thing you can do is nitrous. That's the one thing that'll get you the most power for the least amount of money.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:11 AM
New User

is it even worth it? If you have a hundred or a couple here and there. Just hold out. Save up and do a swap. You'll get a lot more for your money that way.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (yinlun)

like someone said, bolts will cost you around 1g and will get u like 1/16 of the power if u built a $1000 turbo. but i would get nitrous.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:16 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sinishcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there anything i can do or get that will increase my horsepower without dropping a few grand on a turbo or a supercharger? In other words, Is there a way to speed my ride for cheap?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lose weight
Old 03-29-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: (yinlun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yinlun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it even worth it? If you have a hundred or a couple here and there. Just hold out. Save up and do a swap. You'll get a lot more for your money that way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree it wouldnt be worth it in the long run.....save your money and put in a b series swap!! D series motors wont gain much from i/h/e and it will cost over $1000 to do it........how about some nitrous?? thats cheap around $500
Old 03-29-2005, 11:20 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94_Del Sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94_Del Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i agree it wouldnt be worth it in the long run.....save your money and put in a b series swap!! D series motors wont gain much from i/h/e and it will cost over $1000 to do it........how about some nitrous?? thats cheap around $500</TD></TR></TABLE>
nitrous or boost or take a big ****.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:28 AM

U CAN INDEX YOUR SPARK PLUGS, zip tie your windshild nozzle hose to your IM, get a test pipe and lose some weight. thats only like $50
Old 03-29-2005, 11:29 AM

i have a 98 ex. the 3 bolt ons I have, have extremely opened the little ole y8 up.
fake j's intake ($60), dc 4-2-1 (got a used one from friend $200), spoon n1 axleback($350) w/ 2 1/4 pipe rest the way back ($50)and gutted cat (free). also have the ever popular coolant bypass on your TB (free)

i like the setup i have just for an everyday semi quick car. however i dont plan on dropping any more money into that motor for the simple fact im swapping next year. you just need to plan accordingly to what you want now and what you really want for it in the future.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:31 AM

Hey guys its me again JDMLyfestyle or alot of you IM me with the ECU Guy..lol
I thought i would make a nice sticky to help out newcomers or curious people who want to go faster.
Me JDMlyfeStyle Nor Honda-tech.com is responsible if you cause any harm to your self or others by attempting to do the following. Do this at your own risk and be responsible for your own actions.

Im sure there are plenty of people out there like me who want to go fast but are on a tight budget. so i thought this thread could help some of you.

First off For any Newbs or Ricers out there before you ask any Questions. These Following Items will not make your car faster.

1. A body kit will not make you faster. A body kit weighs more than the OEM parts. so your adding weight which slows you down.

2. Aluminum wings, Fiberglass Terminator Spoilers. Do not make your car faster they just add weight. and interupt the aerodynamics of your car.

3. Vinyl stickers, GT-R badges, Type R Stickers, VTEC inside Stickers Do not add horsepower.

4. 18" wheels or bigger do not help you at all. sure it may get u laid with the freshman chick. But when your out with her. you'll look like a chump cause u got beat. How would you like to be carrying 50lbs of extra weight on each foot?

These following Items will help your vehicle go faster and gain horsepower.

#1 Weight Reduction. There are so many ways to reduce your vehicles weight.

1. Remove all of the interior including carpet. Now take a torch or dry ice and remove all sound deadning material from the floor and door panels. some people have claimed to have shaved up to 15 lbs of weight off by just doing this.

2. Remove power steering and ac. that is easily 50lbs

3. remove unwanted interior items. seats. Stock eg seat with rails weigh 26lbs according to my scale. remove rear seats. interior panels. and that damn annoying chattering glove box.

4. If your vehicle is equiped with a sunroof. take a trip to your local hardware store. by a sheet of plexiglass and cut it to fit. use DAP sealant. this will cost you under $20 and will remove up to 30lbs off the vehicles weight

5. If your the kind of person who doesnt care for a radio then yank that damn thing out along with all the speakers.

6. Only drive your car when it is nice out and live in a dry area. then remove your winshield washers along with the squirters and the resevoir.

#2 Engine Performance.

1. Seafoam. You have a ton of mileage on your car? then you know that engine has to have a bunch of carbon build up. take a trip to your local parts store and grab some seafoam. will run you $6 for a can.

2. Dont have cash to get a Nice cold air intake. then make your own. it may be ghetto but it works. PVC intake. PVC is extremely cheap. and if you dont want that ugly white thing in your engine bay then use some hi temp paint and paint it black! There is also a good side to this. Plastic does not hold heat as well metals do. so in hence you will run somewhat cooler intake temperatures.

3. Remove Power Steering and AC system. not that hard to remove will take about 3-4 hours out of your time if you are a beginner. Will shave off around 50 lbs off of your car. This mod will give you 4-5 whp or more. but has been dyno proven to 4-5 whp. On the side note since you do not have your AC or PS any longer. search for a CTR Crank pulley if you are a b series. they run around $80 or cheaper if they are used.

4. Grounds. There is nothing more important on your car then your electrical system. Take a trip down to your local Audio store. Get 1 Foot of 2 Gauge wire and connectors. And get 12 ft of 8 gauge wire. replace all factory grounds with this wire. Battery -&gt; Chassis-&gt; Intake Manifold -&gt; Altenator -&gt; Rear Of Head -&gt; Chassis......Then Transmission -&gt; Chassis..... Then Front of Head -&gt; Chassis. Diagram below for better Idea.

5. Standard Tune up. Should run you under $60. Replace Distributor cap, Spark plugs, Fuel Filter, and Rotor.

6. Going to the drag strip. wanna bring down those air intake temperatures. Grab your cooler and Get 3 5lb bags of ice. now empty out 2 bags off ice to Chill the Beer.. Warm beer is bad now use the other bag to put on your intake manifold to cool it down in between runs.

7. Cool down those intake temperatures for good. Your intake manifold as well as most of your engine is made up of aluminum metal. When you have 2 metal surfaces forced on each other they can transfer heat. Well Not when you have a Insolated intake manifold gasket. 2 reliable companies that manufacture these are Hondata and AN-R these can be had from $35 and up.

8. Synthetic Motor Oil. Got a few miles on the motor. then take care of her. Upgrade your standard oil to Synthetic. Synthetic Oil Lubricates The engine alot better than standard oil does. Now Synthetic Motor Oil is more expensive that standard oil. The best Synthetic Oils out there are the following: Mobil 1, Redline, Lucas, Castrol.

9. Better Octane Fuel. As you begin Modding your engine you are increasing its performance. another way to increase the performance and prevent your engine from Detonation is Stepping up to a better Fuel. 91 octane is perfect for any slightly modified honda.

10. Cooling. Face it Engines Get hot. You dont have cash for a ultra Bling Fluidyne or Koyo Radiator. Well Redline Synthetics makes a good additive. Its called water wetter. It lowers your cooling system up to 20 degrees. this cost around $5.
10a. Another cheap way to Keep your engine running cool is to wire up a manual Fan switch. This will cost you about $15 or less. You will need about 20 ft of 10 gauge Wire. 1 toggle switch (id get one that lights up so you do not forget u left the fan on). Inline Fuse (10amp) from radio shack) see diagram below for instructions.

Thank you guys this is all i have for now. So enjoy this useful information.
Im out
JDMLyfeStyle
Old 03-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

great write up y0!!! damn, i guess i won't be getting that body kit anytime soon
Old 03-29-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
10a. Another cheap way to Keep your engine running cool is to wire up a manual Fan switch. This will cost you about $15 or less. You will need about 20 ft of 10 gauge Wire. 1 toggle switch (id get one that lights up so you do not forget u left the fan on). Inline Fuse (10amp) from radio shack) see diagram below for instructions.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
so wheres the diagram and instructions, i want to do this?
Old 03-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93ejay1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93ejay1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">U CAN INDEX YOUR SPARK PLUGS, zip tie your windshild nozzle hose to your IM, get a test pipe and lose some weight. thats only like $50</TD></TR></TABLE>

Never heard of that one lol
care to explain that one?
Old 03-29-2005, 12:09 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

i dont know if the drap strip would like big puddles of water, but i have heard of this. the old musscle car gus would do this.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: ({PBA}Threat)

pull the hose off the nozzle, zip tie to something so it hangs over it and when u pull the lever in the car water squirts on the IM. when water hits it will keep it cooler and make the air denser which results in more power. i did it and im not sure if its in my head but it felt like it pulled a little bit more when i sprayed it. waterr naawwwwz y0.

ive done it at tracks before, i dont even think they noticed
Old 03-29-2005, 12:18 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93ejay1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93ejay1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pull the hose off the nozzle, zip tie to something so it hangs over it and when u pull the lever in the car water squirts on the IM. when water hits it will keep it cooler and make the air denser which results in more power. i did it and im not sure if its in my head but it felt like it pulled a little bit more when i sprayed it. waterr naawwwwz y0.

ive done it at tracks before, i dont even think they noticed </TD></TR></TABLE>
damn, post up some pictures of this i would like to see!
Old 03-29-2005, 12:19 PM
cool guy name

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by POE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont know if the drap strip would like big puddles of water, but i have heard of this. the old musscle car gus would do this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Make sure to take the bag off when going down the track!!
Old 03-29-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: (walker111)

yup i carry i little ice chest in my car too that i just throw a bag of ice in when im ready to race

Quick Reply: Cheap Horsepower Gains??