Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cheap Engine Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cheap Engine Swap?

Hey all, I'm looking to do an engine swap for about 1k-1.5k which includes Motor + Tranny.

Being my car is an automatic, I'm going to be having to do a conversion for the car. What are some good swaps for cheap?
Old 01-18-2016, 12:02 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Cheap Engine Swap?

There's no set price on any of this. Shop around and consider labor as well since you haven't clarified if you would be doing this on your own.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will be doing this on my own.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

List vehicle information.
Year, model, current engine, ecu.

The D15 is widely available and dirt cheap.
One moderator on this forum is building a D15B7 from scratch. Check it out, lots of useful information.
https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...heavy-3253008/
Old 01-18-2016, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2000 Civic LX 1.6L Auto, stock everything so,
Old 01-18-2016, 12:22 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, zero effort.

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...sting-3002401/
https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...tions-1998336/

We aren't here to spoon feed. You are expected to at least put forth a modicum of effort. Start doing a tiny bit of research.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:32 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

^There it is LOL
Old 01-18-2016, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol. inb4NARC
Old 01-18-2016, 12:38 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by SchematicCivic
2000 Civic LX 1.6L Auto, stock everything so,
Soo....

just take that 1.5k and add it to your car's value and sell the car and buy a manual Integra.

If you don't want to do that, trade your car+cash and buy a manual Integra.

You get your swap+5speed.

If you really want to go through with it...it's a bit more involved than a regular swap and is going to cost more than a regular swap will be.

FWIW we added up my brothers swap+conversion...it was about around $2,000.

$650 for a B20b longblock with a 1yr warranty
$50 LS transmission+shift linkage
$240 transmission conversion mount
$200 manual replacement clutch+flywheel
$90 oem timing belt kit
$100?(can't remember the price on this) all gaskets/seals aside from the head gasket
$200 refurbished axles
$40 halfshaft
$60? ARP flywheel/pressure plate bolts
$230 manual distributor (this was something that was particular to the obd0/DA chassis)
$40 manual ECU (we had to buy 2 of them to get the right one with the barometric sensor in it, again, something with a 1991 integra)
$40 manual intake manifold (1991 integra autos had an EGR)

Replaced all the hoses, idk how much that was..

Pedals, center console, clutch cable were needed from the junkyard,

And other misc items we had to replace/repair along the way.

Had we just started with a manual car, we'd have tossed in new seals/belts on the b20 longblock and tossed in a new clutch and would have been good to go.

This doesn't account for the time researching the wiring we had to adjust, mounting the shift linkage, fixing the wiring inside the cabin to trick the ignition lock, tools we had to buy to do stuff like drill the firewall holes for the clutch cable, etc.

But it started on the first try and ran like a champ. Had we not gotten a stupid cheap deal on the transmission, we wouldn't have attempted it.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Soo....

just take that 1.5k and add it to your car's value and sell the car and buy a manual Integra.

If you don't want to do that, trade your car+cash and buy a manual Integra.

You get your swap+5speed.

If you really want to go through with it...it's a bit more involved than a regular swap and is going to cost more than a regular swap will be.

FWIW we added up my brothers swap+conversion...it was about around $2,000.

$650 for a B20b longblock with a 1yr warranty
$50 LS transmission+shift linkage
$240 transmission conversion mount
$200 manual replacement clutch+flywheel
$90 oem timing belt kit
$100?(can't remember the price on this) all gaskets/seals aside from the head gasket
$200 refurbished axles
$40 halfshaft
$60? ARP flywheel/pressure plate bolts
$230 manual distributor (this was something that was particular to the obd0/DA chassis)
$40 manual ECU (we had to buy 2 of them to get the right one with the barometric sensor in it, again, something with a 1991 integra)
$40 manual intake manifold (1991 integra autos had an EGR)

Replaced all the hoses, idk how much that was..

Pedals, center console, clutch cable were needed from the junkyard,

And other misc items we had to replace/repair along the way.

Had we just started with a manual car, we'd have tossed in new seals/belts on the b20 longblock and tossed in a new clutch and would have been good to go.

This doesn't account for the time researching the wiring we had to adjust, mounting the shift linkage, fixing the wiring inside the cabin to trick the ignition lock, tools we had to buy to do stuff like drill the firewall holes for the clutch cable, etc.

But it started on the first try and ran like a champ. Had we not gotten a stupid cheap deal on the transmission, we wouldn't have attempted it.
My buddy over at Honda said it would be cheaper, but after seeing this I kinda question him. I guess I'll look into my options, Thanks for the post.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:01 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

It really depends on how involved you want to get.

Sure if you go on craigslist and grab somebody's $400 long lock and toss it in your car without looking it over/refreshing it...it can be cheaper.

But you're taking a gamble on the actual health of the motor. The ONLY reason I didn't just bother rebuilding my brothers motor was because We knew the HG was going, the rings were going, and it was a cheaper option to grab a motor with a 1 year warranty than it was to rebuild his original engine.

Now if you grab a cheap B18b longblock ( I mean like $100 cheap)

and your honda buddy rebuilds it, it might be cheaper, as he might be absorbing the labor costs, some parts cost, and all you'd really have to pay for would be the machining to refresh the head and possibly the block.

Then you're really only spending big money on a transmission and the conversion parts.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:15 PM

A 1.5L swap is a comical waste of time and money when you already have a 1.6L. The gains from doing a Y8 swap wouldn't be worth the money you would spend doing it. If you want to swap, go B series. An LS swap can be found for cheap if you shop around.

Now can we stop the spoon feeding, and let OP go put in a modicum of effort?
Old 01-18-2016, 01:22 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

At first I thought you were crazy NARC...but then I saw Ohmega brought that up...
Old 01-18-2016, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
A 1.5L swap is a comical waste of time and money when you already have a 1.6L. The gains from doing a Y8 swap wouldn't be worth the money you would spend doing it. If you want to swap, go B series. An LS swap can be found for cheap if you shop around.

Now can we stop the spoon feeding, and let OP go put in a modicum of effort?
I did try to find the cheapest numbers based off of Google and what not, but I thought why not use a forum that's there to help those who are new to all of this stuff. Cao was the most helpful thank you,

NotARaCist, You really drive me away from using these forums.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:43 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Grow thicker skin? Whether he rubs you the right way or wrong way, the information is on here and we at least like to think that people are capable of doing some of their own leg work. "NotARaCist" is like many of us and has been down this road more than once. Take his advice with a grain of salt, I assure you he's never actually steered someone the wrong way during my time on these forums.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:41 PM

Oh no, I drive away the lazy, who expect everything to be spoon fed to them. Oh woe is me.

The fact that a moderator hasn't stepped in and told you off yet is, quite frankly, surprising. It's painfully obvious that you have not read the rules, nor have you read the FAQ sticky. If you had read the rules, you would have realized that your post is not, in any way, shape, or form technical. It's strictly a value question, which the rules state, in no unclear language, belongs only in the value sticky. Since you're so non-specific as to what motor you want, and since you have given us literally zero information to go off of as far as goals, it could also be argued that this is an opinion poll, which again, specifically disallowed in the rules sticky.

Now, the FAQ sticky. It's obvious that you have completely disregarded that as well. How can I tell? Because if you had read it, you would have seen the big red text right at the top, which points you towards this thread from grumblemarc, and this thread from Eso. Those two threads will empower you to find the information you want. Hell, even my build thread has information to empower you, including a functional spreadsheet that you can download and use, to get this information.

So, to reiterate, you have broken multiple rules, and you have failed to give the FAQ sticky even a cursory glance. You have failed to search. You have failed to put in even a modicum of effort, and this isn't even getting into your abysmal posting history, where you have ignored the rules, ignored direct help from a moderator, and ignored direct help from me. And you expect us to care if I'm "driving you away"?

Name:  MRUabYf.gif
Views: 619
Size:  1.00 MB
Old 01-18-2016, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

OP - Please browse links in the FAQs sticky related to your question. If specific tech questions arise, then feel free to make a new thread.