Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Changing Oil / Trans Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Changing Oil / Trans Fluid

evening gents!

ive got myself a 99 DX Hatch (automatic) back in november- sorry its an auto. its got 160k

I know im coming up on my oilchange as the sticker indicates, however, i dont know if the trans fluid has ever been changed...

Heres what I DO know:
*when i have to accelerate hard, its loud as **** (like... really)-
*it sounds almost scratchy in higher RPM
*sometimes when it shifts, its smooth, sometimes it takes TOO long and is pretty raspy
*low speed increase gains from 40-70
*pretty bad gas mileage 250-300 miles for 3/4 tank

i hear that doing a drain / fill cycle 3 times should significantly improve my drive quality / shifting. does anyone object to changing the fluid, being 160k miles in and probably NEVER changed it?
i have a magnetic probe wand i'd like to probe my tranny with (gigiddy) after draining- anyone wanna shed insight?

anywho, at my advanced auto, theyre running a deal for 5qts of high mileage pennzoil + a pureone filter for 20 bucks (ive got 5 in speed perks)-
anyone suggest other oils / synthetics / plats / etc?

thanks guys.

-Shaggy
Old 01-17-2016, 01:48 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Changing Oil / Trans Fluid

I would change the fluid using OEM Honda, otherwise some have recommended the Castrol equivalent.

When I received my current daily at 235k miles it had transmission issues, changing the fluid and ensuring the sensors I had CEL's for greatly improved it. Now at 252k with no issues. I believe the OEM drain plug on automatics is magnetic.

I use chevron oil for mine with OEM filter and new crush washer. I personally like the OEM filters over others. Anything must be better than old oil and filters though. Watch some reviews of filter cut away's if you want to know more.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:07 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the engine oil, oil is oil. Whatever. For the filter, the PureOne isn't bad. For the transmission fluid, Honda ATF. Done. End of story.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your loud noises and scratchy sound and bad MPG could indicate a broken or clogged catalytic converter.

Then again...250-300 miles per tank doesn't mean anything. Try dividing miles driven by gallons filled. Or using...technical terms... Miles Per Gallon
Old 01-17-2016, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Your loud noises and scratchy sound and bad MPG could indicate a broken or clogged catalytic converter.

Then again...250-300 miles per tank doesn't mean anything. Try dividing miles driven by gallons filled. Or using...technical terms... Miles Per Gallon
I actually did JUST recently get a p0420 code! It DOES indeed rattle quite a bit too!
Old 01-18-2016, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a magnetic probe wand i'd like to probe my tranny with (gigiddy) after draining- anyone wanna shed insight?
IIRC transmission drain bolts have magnets attached to them to catch metal fragments. I don't see how a little more probing could hurt, though. Just make sure the probe is clean and nothing falls off inside.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Personal recommendation here on oil filter is a Wix. Wix/Mann/Denso per the https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...civic-3114911/

on here are all good quality. I picked up a set of 12 Wix from RockAuto about a year and a half ago-still going through them and going strong.

As far as the trans run some SeaFoam Transtune (NOT THE MOTOR TREATMENT) through it and drive it for a while up to highway speeds (I did mine for ~20 minutes @ 70mph IIRC) then drain and refill with Honda ATF (ATF-DW-1).

Should get most residual gunk out and as others have said-be careful with the probe. Finally fix any CELs. Also check and if necessary adjust/replace your throttle cable.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:51 PM
Steve at Heart

Those Wix filters are a bit larger than the OEM, after putting one on someones car I probably wouldn't use them again. Wix is supposed to be good stuff though.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

*For oil Mobil 1, or Royal Purple if you wanna spend the extra money (both synthetic).
*Amsoil filters if you got the money, otherwise Mobil 1 is alright aswell.
*Honda ATF

Here is a very thorough testing of many brands of oil filters:
Oil Filter Comparison Study - GM Truck Central
Old 01-19-2016, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Shop around for a better price on the ATF (1 gallon).
Old 01-20-2016, 03:35 AM
Dur Da Dur

Get a magnefine transmission filter, make sure you buy a legitimate filter as knock offs are available. I recommend amsoil transmission fluid, it's good stuff and well worth the money. If you don't want to pay for so much amsoil, do the first drain-fill with OEM. I am not an amsoil dealer and I have no stake in their company. I simply recognize that they're the best of all products I've seen. Maybe there's something better for chevys with 5,000HP.

Cheap trans fluid will break down quickly, as all fluids do over time, and lose it's lubricating and viscous properties. A transmission fluid higher than honda's quality is very important to ensure a long lasting and properly operating transmission.

The 96 and newer transmissions are weak, do not cheap out. Do not cheap out. Using cheapy trans fluid is worse than not changing the trans fluid!

Last edited by hondur; 01-20-2016 at 04:05 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:41 AM
Steve at Heart

Originally Posted by hondur
Get a magnefine transmission filter, make sure you buy a legitimate filter as knock offs are available. I recommend amsoil transmission fluid, it's good stuff and well worth the money. If you don't want to pay for so much amsoil, do the first drain-fill with OEM
You don't need either of these. Standard intervals of ATF changing is what is needed.

Cheap trans fluid will break down over time and lose it's lubricating and viscous properties. A transmission fluid higher than honda's quality is very important to ensure a long lasting and properly operating transmission.
You think Honda's fluid is cheap? What proves amsoil is so much better? "Because they said it is"

The 96 and newer transmissions are weak, do not cheap out. Do not cheap out. Using cheapy trans fluid is worse than not changing the trans fluid!
Transmission fluid unless changed by the OEM has to be licensed, regular changes with the Castrol RonJ mentioned, Valvoline Import or even the newer Honda ATF is more than enough.

I have a 98 LX, FIL gave it to me when only two gears worked and had to be manually shifted. Ensuring the solenoids worked and changing the fluid out, transmission worked properly with in two days or troubleshooting.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:51 AM
Dur Da Dur

What makes it better?!? These fluids have specs they're tested and measured!!! be quiet.

You advise against the addition of a filter, too. Stop mang.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:07 AM
Steve at Heart

How about a how to and where to place the filter, direction, before or after cooler do you know that stuff or just a keyboard warrior?
Old 01-22-2016, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

went and got 5 qts of pennzoil traditional high mileage and a purel pureONE filter for 23.00

i did some research and hear the genuine honda DW-1 ATF is what i should go for.