Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Changing the oil on a manual transmission

Old 05-01-2004, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the oil on a manual transmission

I drive a d16z6 so im asuming this would be true for other transmissions as well but after a few times of doing this i found the best way to change the oil is this:

(1) Remove the old oil via the drain plug and retighten (leave the drain pan for now)
(2) Remove the oil check bolt and set asside
(3) Remove the speedo sensor (Normally 1 10mm bolt) and set aside
(4) Get a nice long funnel or a hose that ataches to the oil can with a cut off like i ussed
(5) pure 2qts. of oil into the tranny thro the speedo sensor opening untill full - you'll see oil coming out of the oil fill/check bolt
(6) Reatach the speedo sensor and replace the oil fill bolt and check for leaks

- You can skip step 3 and use a piece of hose to attach the funnel to the breather tube, but its more difficult making an adaptor and slower because of the smaller opening inside the tranny "O <-Propably that size litterly inside, its meant for a breather not to fill it."

Enjoy!
After replacing my tranny 4 times last month and trying different ways of filling it with oil i found this to be the easiest with the least amount of spillage and mess
Old 05-01-2004, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i assume you meant the fluid? i know you can use oil in it's place, but i don't want people to be confused - "there's oil in my tranny!?!?!"
Old 05-01-2004, 06:03 PM

Default Re: (MichaelJComputer)

Mine calls for 5w-30 or 10w-40 engine oil in my honda service manual so, But im assuming theres not much difference between motor oil and manual transmission fluid all they do is lubricate the gears and what not like the oil does in the engine block........
Old 05-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya ya, i know. i assume some people don't know that though, don't want to confuse them.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:56 PM

Default Re: (nocternaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocternaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine calls for 5w-30 or 10w-40 engine oil in my honda service manual so, But im assuming theres not much difference between motor oil and manual transmission fluid all they do is lubricate the gears and what not like the oil does in the engine block........ </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually honda made a service bulletin and recomends using honda MTF now. Alot of dealers dont even stock it, and still use oil. I only use the MTf. It's about the same price as a quart of synthetic oil. It's alot thicker, and smells like absolute hell.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:32 PM

Default Re: (743power)

Can anyone post pics on how to do this, please?
Old 10-26-2004, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chronodyne28)

last time i got it done.. they used some kind of pump?
Old 03-28-2005, 09:56 PM
Help we my pennies

Default Re: (lDanny)

cant u fill the tranny , but useing the hole on the side!!
Old 03-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Help we my pennies

Default Re: Changing the oil on a manual transmission (nocternaldragon)

Old 03-28-2005, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Changing the oil on a manual transmission (nocternaldragon)

i didnt realize this to be a problem that required a DIY writeup.

i would never use anything in my tranny other than tranny fluid. the call it engine oil for a reason, it goes in the engine!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 743power &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually honda made a service bulletin and recomends using honda MTF now. Alot of dealers dont even stock it, and still use oil. I only use the MTf. It's about the same price as a quart of synthetic oil. It's alot thicker, and smells like absolute hell.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if it smells bad, it must be the better stuff ad the power steering fluid you can not use ATF fluid for because it screws it up im not sure why but was told this by very upstanding mechanics

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocternaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">After replacing my tranny 4 times last month and trying different ways of filling it with oil i found this to be the easiest with the least amount of spillage and mess</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like you have a driving problem not a tranny problem.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Help we my pennies

Default Re: Changing the oil on a manual transmission (civictildeath)

What is a "the oil check bolt "
Old 08-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i need some pics
Old 08-05-2006, 04:05 PM

motor oil is not the most suitable for use as a transmission lubricant. It does not contain the proper EP (extreme pressure) additives and other wear additives that a puropse designed transmission/gear/axle fluid does.

Try putting regular dino motor oil 5w30 into your transmission and then use a good quality synthetic like Amsoil 5w30 MTF synchromesh transmission fluid. Night and day difference. I used to run Redline MTL, but the amsoil MTF has been butter, more so than the MTL in my opinion.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what does the spedo look like on the tranny i need a pic
Old 09-15-2006, 11:53 AM

Default Re: (lDanny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chronodyne28 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can anyone post pics on how to do this, please?</TD></TR></TABLE>
x2
Old 09-15-2006, 12:20 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: (killakoupe)

Tom I borrowed your pics

Its really really easy.

Jack the car up

Then grab your 3/8" socket wrench and loosen this bolt (the "square one" that your socket wrench will fit)

See how it pours out

Then after its all out you can do it 2 ways

1) Thread the bolt back on, lower the car and fill it back up with 2.3-2.5 qts of oil(I'll get to the filling in a sec)

or Thread the bolt back on, but UNTHREAD the fill plug (picture below), lower the car so its "level" with the ground, begin filling it up until oil pours out the filler hole, and then thread it back

The reason I say this is because with the car down its more accurate as to how much oil is actually in there. But its also a pain in the *** IMO to keep jacking the car up and down and up and down.

Next unplug and unbolt the VSS.

To unbolt theres 1. I repeat 1 10mm bolt closest to the driver's side thats holding it onto the tranny.

Then just bolt back on the VSS and the drain bolt (depending on which way you decided to do it) and you're done! Don't forget to plug the VSS back on or there won't be any VTACK!!!!

Modified by SkoundrelUSA at 9:29 AM 9/16/2006
Old 09-29-2007, 11:45 AM
GO GIANTS!

Default Re: (SkoundrelUSA)

Does the VSS pop up? Mine is stuck to the tranny.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondamanXxX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondamanXxX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does the VSS pop up? Mine is stuck to the tranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its just held in by the 6mm bolt and a o-ring
Old 09-29-2007, 12:13 PM
GO GIANTS!

Default Re: (HeikDiesel)

Wierd how I took out this bolt buts a bitch to get out. I wiggled and wiggled and not moving an inch!
Old 09-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondamanXxX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondamanXxX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wierd how I took out this bolt buts a bitch to get out. I wiggled and wiggled and not moving an inch! </TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe the metal galded to the transmission case. Try a pry bar and be easy maybe?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my VSS is stuck to the tranny too. it wont move at all. is there any other way i can do this without the removal of the VSS?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hatch_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or Thread the bolt back on, but UNTHREAD the fill plug (picture below), lower the car so its "level" with the ground, begin filling it up until oil pours out the filler hole, and then thread it back

Modified by SkoundrelUSA at 9:29 AM 9/16/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>
Grab a long skinny tube, and attach it to a funnel and run it into the fill hole. Then dump in MTF or equivalent until it starts to run out of the hole. You can't overfill it, the exact level is where the hole bottom is. This is (like was said) kind of a pain, because then, if you aren't on a lift or lifted evenly on jackstands, you have to raise the front end to get under it to put the bolt back in there.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (b20eghatch)

no mean to bump in your thread but about two weeks ago i changed my tranny oil. usually i just go with some regular highmilage 10w-30. usally a pretty smooth transaction.. but i wanted to change it up. some one told me to never put full synthetic in. why? so i had to prove them wrong. went to oriellys and bought two quarts of royal purple 10w-40 and put it in the tranny. and matter of fact i can feel a great diffrence in transactions. feels pretty damn smooth in the d15. sorry btw
Old 10-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hatchling37)

Or you can just fill it via the transmission's vent at the top and eliminate all this removing the VSS mumbo jumbo. In the time it takes you to remove (and possibly damage) the VSS, you'd already have it filled through the vent.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (jdm91CrxSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm91CrxSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no mean to bump in your thread but about two weeks ago i changed my tranny oil. usually i just go with some regular highmilage 10w-30. usally a pretty smooth transaction.. but i wanted to change it up. some one told me to never put full synthetic in. why? so i had to prove them wrong. went to oriellys and bought two quarts of royal purple 10w-40 and put it in the tranny. and matter of fact i can feel a great diffrence in transactions. feels pretty damn smooth in the d15. sorry btw</TD></TR></TABLE>

"I heard not to use full synthetic in my tranny, so the very next thing I did was go and put synthetic fluid in my tranny!"

The way that manual transmission synchros work is like a cone that another piece slides down onto and locks into place - this action requires a certain level of "friction" so to speak, and if all of that advertising about synthetic oil "bonding to parts" and " provides the best protection against friction" etc. is all true then that is why I'd agree that I'd never put synthetic oil in my transmission.

I personally use and recommend Genuine Honda MTF as evidenced by that pic up there of me pouring it into my Type R transmission. You spend less than synthetic oil, and you KNOW you're using what Honda/Acura intended to be in the transmission anyways.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing the oil on a manual transmission