Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

changing my caliper and pads ... everything went wrong for this nub

Old 07-03-2005, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing my caliper and pads ... everything went wrong for this nub

so it all started when i went to get my inspection on wednesday and the mavis guy told me my caliper was seized... that's why my driver side outer pad was practically 100% worn and the other pad was fine ... so he told me it would be 175 for the new caliper and pads install... i was going to just get it all done there until the power went out in the middle of my car inspection because of a bad storm in dutchess county ... so i drove home and the next day ordered parts from advanced auto parts ... caliper was like 85 (including 35 core) and pads were $15 ish from autozone with lifetime warranty ...
i got the tire off with no problem, got all the bolts off with no problem then couldn't stop the brake line from flowing. I tried plugging it with some pieces from the vacuum bleeding kit i bought, but to no avail, then tried a rag, but it still seemed to be leaking so i reattached it to the caliper n honda-teched it ... couldn't find anything concrete so checked out team integra. Found a pic with the rag so tried it again n figured that it had stopped the flowing. Good thing i kept an eye on the brake reservoir .... had to refill it about 2 times because of different ways i was tryin to stop it ... so anyway with that out the way i removed the caliper, then removed the two 17mm bolts holding the caliper bracket on, took that off and knocked out my old pads. Took out the new pads hooked those babies up with some brake quiet "stuff" and put on the shims, tried to put on the retaining clips from the old caliper onto the caliper bracket, and it seemed to not fit, so i used the old clips, then i couldn't get the pads to fit onto the bracket, i tried different angles and diff ways then went back inside checked honda-teach n team integra for pics, saw i was doing it right so tried once again before tryin to put old pads on, old pads fit right in, hmph! so i look at the old pads next to the new pads, and the knotch at the end on the new pads are bigger than the old ones, could it be that i had to shave them down or something? i thought that'd be kinda weird, then it hit me, maybe i don't have abs!!! and sure as hell that's what it was, i bought the wrong pads, but even worse, i also bought the wrong caliper. So i called up autozone and advanced auto and returned the parts. Now waiting for the new caliper to get in, supposed to get in store around 10 am tomorrow :-\ i always find someway to mess things up ... well ill post if any other mishaps happen tomorrow ... after i put pads and caliper back on, anyone have any tips on bleeding? I bought a vacuum bleeding kit from autozone, it has a lil gauge on it. so hopefully it will be a fairly trivial process.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have 10" rotors (ex non abs), I have a set of 2 calipers, powerslot rotors, and usable used aem pads for $50+shipping.

The bleeder you bought is similar/is what I use. Just connect it to the caliper bleeder nipple and start sucking...works great

(Please use better spacing, when you write things this long)
Old 07-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: changing my caliper and pads ... everything went wrong for this nub (ibe2fly)

haha, read this in the integra forum
don't worry, my DIY's never go smoothly either
for doing it yourself.

oh yeah, like the guy said above, paragraphs do help people who are reading it
Old 07-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: changing my caliper and pads ... everything went wrong for this nub (ibe2fly)

you know, now is a good time to go check out your local junk yard, and upgrade your calipers, to a two piston legend, or prelude, or accord (since they are more readily available) then get the same brake pads, for the car you got the calipers from..

I have 96 accord ex calipers, since my integra's calipers, wear doing the same thing.... havent had any problems, and the stopping power... is much better..
Old 07-03-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you have 10" rotors (ex non abs), I have a set of 2 calipers, powerslot rotors, and usable used aem pads for $50+shipping.

The bleeder you bought is similar/is what I use. Just connect it to the caliper bleeder nipple and start sucking...works great

(Please use better spacing, when you write things this long)</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanx but i was thinking about upgrading brakes altogether in about a month or two to some integra brakes ... i dun like mine ESPECIALLY in the rain ... any suggestions on the upgrade? pro / con integra? thanx all
Old 07-03-2005, 06:26 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ibe2fly)

When you get all done and take ur test drive, listen for any unusual sounds...I have one right before the vehicle comes to a stop, not a squeak or a grind just unusual..just seeing if all new pads and rotors make noise the first few hundred miles.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Re: (turner7205)

when i got my rotors n pads done @ mavis in around july, they squeaked so i brought em back n they said they're supposed to for a couple weeks ...
Old 07-03-2005, 06:45 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ibe2fly)

Im thinkin thats what it is, its not violent by any means but only time will tell.