Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Changing fuel filter on 1996 civic ex, first time newbie, do I need crows feet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing fuel filter on 1996 civic ex, first time newbie, do I need crows feet?

Hello everyone,

I am about to do my first fuel filter change ever. It is a 1996 Honda Civic Ex with 83K miles. I spent 2 hours reading past threads. As such, I have more questions as a result...being a newbie and all.

QUESTION ????
I see pictures of crows feet tool from past threads. What tool does the crows feet connect to in order to function? Is it a 3/8 breaker bar? Is there a special handle type tool I need to buy to use the crows feet? Will I need a crows feet tool to remove the bottom connection of the fuel filter or can I just use regular wrenches? Any advise would be most appreciated.

Below is a list of steps for changing my fuel filter derived from past threads.
1. Remove the negative connection to my battery. This will disable the fuel pump.
2. Open the gas cap to relieve fuel pressure
3. Using an air gun with a 12mm socket, lossen the top bolt on the filter (being careful because fuel may quirt a little. Luckily it is not a odd shaped bolt like I have been seeing on other threads. This is a regular hex nut.
3a. Remove air duct connecting to intake manifold
4. Using two open ended wrenches lossen the connection located at the bottom of the filter.
5. Remove and replace fuel filter
6. To install, reverse the order above.

Please answer my questions above if you have time.

Thank you for your efforts....most importantly, you advise.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changing fuel filter on 1996 civic ex, first time newbie, do I need crows feet? (arielb1)

I have replaced mine twice and I followed those same directions, but the one thing I didnt do was use a socket. I used an open ended wrench to loosen the bolt. You might want to have some old rags around to catch the spilling gas once you break the bolt.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changing fuel filter on 1996 civic ex, first time newbie, do I need crows feet? (arielb1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by arielb1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Will I need a crows feet tool to remove the bottom connection of the fuel filter or can I just use regular wrenches? Any advise would be most appreciated.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do not use crows feet, use Flare Wrenches. I beleive you'll need a 17 and 19 mil. If you can't get them, use an open ended wrench.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by arielb1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
3a. Remove air duct connecting to intake manifold
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know why you'd do this.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by arielb1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. Remove the negative connection to my battery. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I also throw a rag over the top of the battery to cover the terminals. Don't want any sparks near gas.

Also, you'll need to replace the washers to get a proper seal. The filter should come with them. And another tip, loosen the lines before taking the filter out of it's mount; and when reinstalling, tighten the mount first before the fuel lines.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changing fuel filter on 1996 civic ex, first time newbie, do I need crows feet? (Brandon H)

The fuel filter on the firewall? I just did this its selfexplanitory.

Remove banjo bolt from top of fuel filter, remove clip thats around filter holding it in its brcket. remove fuel line with 2 12 mm wrenches. reverse....
Old 12-16-2004, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changing fuel filter on 1996 civic ex, first time newbie, do I need crows feet? (Happyman)

Thanks for the tips...

I learned alot from you all. The rag on the battery and filter is a good idea. Most all of, I now know about 'flare wrenches'. I looked these up in ebay and now planning to pick up a set from Sears this weekend. These wrenches would be a wonderful collection in my tool cabinet.

Thanks again.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure you loosen the fuel lines before removing the clamp that holds it in the bracket, otherwise it will be pretty hard to hold it still while you're wrenching on it.

I think if you pull the fuel filter fuse first and start the car, let it die out, that will relieve whatever pressure is left in the fuel system. Then undo the battery negative, and when you get it all back together make sure the fuse gets put back.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (klungemonger)

but you don't need to even worry about the battery, I've changed over a 100 and never covered the battery or removed the terminal, but better safe then sorry if your scared
using a rag to catch fuel is a good trick

make sure car is off
loosen gas cap
loosen top bolt which is 17mm
then bottom line which is 14mm, dont unscrew all the way until filter is completely loose to avoid messing up the line at all
you want a flare wrench especailly for the bottom so you dont round it, just give it a good pop and it'll come loose. use a 19mm to hold the filter or help get the bottom loose
then use a rachet with a 2 inch extension and 10mm to remove bolt holding on the metal strap.
then loosen lines all the way.
put on new filter
insert bottom line and screw in till its just loose enough to still turn the filter
then make sure the tab on top is in the slot
screw in 10mm, this can be a lil tricky to align but not hard
then tighten the 10mm
use the 19mm to hold the filter in while tightening the other bolts
make sure to change the gasket on the banjo (top) bolt, some filters come with an extra little gasket if the bottom line leaks, but i've never used it

get in car turn car to on without starting it like three times to prime the line, then check for leaks
Old 12-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHCwarrior)

T H A N K Y O U ! ! !

Great tips. I hope this helps others out as well. I will give an update Monday on how it goes.