Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CHANGING FROM DRUMS TO DISKS

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 CHANGING FROM DRUMS TO DISKS

On my civic 93 i have drums in the back but i want to change to disks because i have a b16a motor so the car is heavier now then went it had its original motor. I want to know from with car i get the parts from.. and do i have to change all the steel brake lines.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CHANGING FROM DRUMS TO DISKS

im planing on doing the same thing. ive been told you can use parts off of a intergra
Old 08-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The steel brake lines remain, but you need the rubber lines off of the car you get the brake swap from. Below is a list to do it CORRECTLY. You can do it other ways, but this is the best way IMO. I need ot know what model civic you have for sure first, but this should work for the most part although smll details may change.

- Rear disk swap from any '94 to '01 integra including all parts attached to the trailing arms such as: lower control arms, upper control arms, front toe adjustment arms, brake hoses, and e brake cables. It is nice to have the other parts in case somthing on your civic breaks while removing the drum set-up.
- 15/16" master cylinder and the corresponding brake booster that goes with it
- 40/40 prop valve from a '90 - 95 Integra RS (It needs to be from an RS as all other integras have abs and do not have this same type of prop valve). If you get one from an older integra ('90 - '93) you will need to change your bracket onto the prop valve to bot to your civic properly.
-If you have a dx/lx/vx/cx civic you will want to upgrade to the larger front brakes from a civic ex or any integra (94 - 01) as well IMO to complete the setup.

I may have forgot something lttle, but I don't think so. Just post what model civic you hae and I can confirm other small details with you. Good luck, and this is a great mod!
Old 08-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go to h motors and order rear disk conversion from a eg6... comes with everything even e brake cables they are 175.00 plus shipping...plus u will need a 40/40 proportioning valve from a 90-93 integra, 92-93 EG Si and other stuff weavertime1 mentioned
Old 08-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I pulled the read discs off of my 93 sol si and straight swapped them onto my 94 eg only issue was the e-brake cable being to short still working that one out...
Old 08-24-2010, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I Did A Rear Disk Conversion on my 93 Coupe, and man it works awsome, car comes to a stop really good

___Parts i used For My Setup:

* The GSR rear Swap (Everything_: including The GSR E-brake cable*)
* (92-95) Honda Civic (Si) prop valve
* Integra RS (NON-ABS) 15/16 Master cylinder and Brake booster
* And All new bolts from oem HONDA 93 CIVIC
* I didnt upgrade brake lines to stainless steel yet but im going to do it soon after i get it painted:

This Setup has worked great for me: as far as my break pedal feel, I put my foot on it, go about half inch down and already its starts slowing down
Old 08-25-2010, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive done twice now on a 90 CRX and 88 4 Dr and both were used on WWW.24hoursoflemons.com cars and they are doing 100 MPH on road courses and never did proportional valve or master upgrade and work great.
What I did is change the whole rear trailing arm and did the.poly eruthane bushings at same time.that made a total fdifference in handling
Old 08-25-2010, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanx for reminding me, i knew i forgot to add that i did switch the bushings to (HARD_RACE_BUSHINGS)... since at the time the assembly was already off, i felted it was worth switching, i recommend in taking that step...
Old 08-25-2010, 02:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i used 91 da rear brakes on my 93 eg and it works great u dont need the whole trailing arm just the rotating assembling you do need the ebrake cables and the rubber lines from whatever car you get the brakes from you dont need the prop valve that only when you go bigger in the front. YOU CAN USE ANY TEG BRAKES FROM 90-00
Old 08-25-2010, 02:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can use any teg rear brakes from '90 - '01, but then you would need different e brake cables. And as far as using the rotating assembly, you are right, but I have only ever seen a few people with a ton of tools and perfect conditionparts be able to get a rotating assembly off. It's a great idea in theory, but rarely works in the real world.
Also it is true that you don't really need the 40/40 prop unless you change to the larger front brakes, but for the price of the larger front setup, you might as well go for it. Also, be aware that the '92 '93 civic si hatches did not have a 40/40 prop as they had the smaller front brake setup. One more thing...All integra brakes (except type r) are the same size, so don't fall victim to someone trying to sell you "GSR" brakes.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The model of my civic is a 93 eg hatch
Old 08-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

didnt take the time to read the replies but other than the complete rear trailing or hub assembly (if thats the way you choose to do it) is the rear brake lines (which are different between drum and disc.

If you WANT to use a bigger master cylinder you will need to reflare the lines if it the donor was from a car w/abs. The abs hard lines are bigger than the hard lines w/out abs (other than the 90-91 civic sedan 1.6 ex which is 15/16 mc but still had smaller hard lines).
Old 08-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just fyi people, you arent going to get this super awesome stopping power upgrade you think by doing rears alone. there might be a slight improvment, but i know i only did mine because i hate looking at drums. for all the hassle and money i spent on bushings and everything i would just as soon leave it alone next time. invest in some bigger fronts if you feel you really need improved stopping power.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 77777
just fyi people, you arent going to get this super awesome stopping power upgrade you think by doing rears alone. there might be a slight improvment, but i know i only did mine because i hate looking at drums. for all the hassle and money i spent on bushings and everything i would just as soon leave it alone next time. invest in some bigger fronts if you feel you really need improved stopping power.
Although you are correct, the way you made your point was kind of unnecessary. I guess I always do both at the same time (rear disk and larger front), so it never really crossed my mind to mention that the front brakes do most of the work, and that upgrading them (along with the 40/40 prop) will make the most difference. Also, the question in his post was not, "How do I get the best stopping power out of my civic;" it was how do I change to a rear disk setup? Again your answer was correct, but on a public forum acting like you know everything after several people have already answered the main question is not really necessary. With that being said however, you have your freedom of speech and with it the right to say whatever you'd like.