Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Changed the ignitor on my 92 civic. OEM HONDA PART!?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed the ignitor on my 92 civic. OEM HONDA PART!?!?!?!?!?

SO heres the story.

I stripped my valve cover bolt like 6 months ago, so on the front left side it has been leaking for a while, nothing too drastic just over time I lose oil. It was a pain in the *** to find at the junkyard to replace...so I just procrasinated.

I just got the part from a honda dealership for like 2 bucks(hookup), and took the old one out and put the new one in. It took like 10 mins and that was a good relief.

The 2nd problem was my ignitor was starting to go bad because sometimes the car wouldnt crank over. (Probably 1 out of 30)....but it would always eventually start. I waited to change because they were like $150 bucks at honda, but I eventually got a hookup for 70 bucks. Mind you the car has about 88k on the motor(original) and I baby the hell out of it., and ive had it since 83 and it was a one owener. So most of the tune up **** was just recently done..by myself... spark plus...wires, rotor cap etc... all that ****.

--------

I put the new ignitor in after figuring out how to get to it. It was a pain but really not too difficult. I wired the **** up(With grounding the unit at the bottom so it wouldnt move inside its little chamber thing), and put everything back together and it wouldnt crank over.

So Im like wtf??? I went to recheck my connections.(Seemed to be fine), so I was thinking maybe a bad part from honda???

So I take it out and put the stock one in. Fires up immediately. so im like okay...let me try and install the new one again really slow.

I install the new one (WITHOUT GROUNDING THE UNIT-- SO IT CAN MOVE IN THE AREA WHERE IT IS) put everything back together and it fires up(and it fired up much better than ever)

so Im like okay....I GROUND IT IN....AND PUT EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER.

GO TO FIRE IT UP....WONT START AGAIN. so I come to the conclusion that this new OEM honda piece just doesnt like to be grounded.(I didnt want to bolt it the first time because the bolt was at the bottom and it was a bitch to get to) I leave it ungrounded and everything seems to be fine.

Wrong.

I was putting into the shopping center to get food and my car just dies in the middle of driving. No noises just shuts off. Im like gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd. LORD.

eventually it would start and drive for 1 min and then shutoff. So I said **** it, installed the stock one(which still works pretty good) and drove home.

Now I have to figure out what the **** is going on with this new ignitor. Its a FREAKIN HONDA PART!

I have never had a problem with this car really, so its something in the install of this new part that I am doing wrong. Eventually with the new one it the car wouldnt start and I was forced to put the old one back in.

Any thoughts????? The old ignitor underneath has 2 screws that I needed to take out. The new one doesnt have this, and there is a wire that needs to be screwed into the frame???? With the new one if I dont screw this wire to the frame it seemed to start(for a bit) but with it screwed on....it wouldnt? wtf???

Thanks,

Kris
Old 04-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changed the ignitor on my 92 civic. OEM HONDA PART!?!?!?!?!? (krisfnbs)

bump
Old 04-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changed the ignitor on my 92 civic. OEM HONDA PART!?!?!?!?!? (krisfnbs)

bump would like to know, i have a similar problem. last night my car just died on me on the highway, no noises or anything. had to get it towed and then today when to start it up and it started rightup
Old 04-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changed the ignitor on my 92 civic. OEM HONDA PART!?!?!?!?!? (95dc2teg)

Turns out that the new ignitor I received... also needed a new "heatsink", and the reason why it was failing was because the old heatsink was not "grounded" properly.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the heatsink the bracket that basically holds the ignitor to the distributor? i changed mine today (had to get one from autozone ~60 bucks, hopefully it lasts ) and it fixed my problem, car starts right up.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it was that heatsink.

Now that I have a new ignitor, and a new heatsink... car starts and runs smoother but I still think my coil is going bad.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (krisfnbs)

ya i replaced the coil today, and it didnt do a thing so i went ahead and got a new ignitor and that did. I kept the coil anyways just so i dont have a problem with it later on down the road.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats cool. I think mine might be my relay..... I hate cars.